Author Topic: An afternoon with elder family members  (Read 863 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
An afternoon with elder family members
« on: December 15, 2018, 02:21:30 PM »
Having a need for some white oak lumber to use on my boat refit I contacted an uncle of mine that has a small sawmill and inquired about purchasing some from him.
This uncle is my dad's older brother, the 3rd of 4 siblings. My two aunts that were the oldest have passed on some years ago leaving my dad and his brother.
Dad is 81, Uncle Bob, yes Bobs my uncle, is 85. I can only hope that I am as fit as he is at that age.
Grandpa, my uncle and dad were all carpenters and my uncle is a pretty skilled cabinet maker. Dad joined the Air Force originally as a carpenter but moved in to electronics soon after joining.
My uncle sawed up about 100 board feet of some of the nicest quarter saw white oak I've ever seen at an incredible family price of 60¢ a board foot.
I drove down to their little homestead yesterday and picked it up.
Got a nice tour of the sawmill operation. He has one of these set up - https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Portable-Sawmills/LT15-Portable-Sawmill?keyword=woodmizer%20lt15&creative={creative}&msclkid=96b58a870c8114370b58d6924313bf8c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Portable%20Sawmills%20%7C%20Search%20B&utm_term=woodmizer%20lt15&utm_content=Wood-Mizer%20LT15%20%7C%20Search

Also had a pleasant visit with my aunt and 2 of my adult cousins I haven't seen in 30+ years.
I see my uncle and aunt usually a couple of times a year when dad and the wicked step-mother pass through town.
We spent a couple of hours reminiscing about family members and event and caught up on who was still alive, who had passed on andwhat all medical issues we and our immediate family members have had.

Anyway, after loading the wood and enjoying a nice visit with family my uncle invited me out to see his wood shop. I probably left a trail of drool looking at his mostly antique industrial grade woodworking tools, tables saws, planers, jointers... While we were looking around I noticed an old 2-man crosscut saw hanging on the wall. I mentioned that I had one that came from his dad's farm after he passed and it was my turn to pick through the junk piles. We took turns oldest to youngest to collect the stuff.
He said he remembered the saw and was with his dad when he bought it. They had taken a load of cotton to the mill in town in a horse drawn wagon and with some of the proceeds from the sale Grandpa bought the saw at the local hardware store for the lofty sum of $7.00 . Which, as my uncle pointed out was a lot of money in 1947.

Darn good day.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
Re: An afternoon with elder family members
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 06:11:14 PM »
Mark today down in the Book of Life.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: An afternoon with elder family members
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
Having a need for some white oak lumber to use on my boat refit I contacted an uncle of mine that has a small sawmill and inquired about purchasing some from him.
This uncle is my dad's older brother, the 3rd of 4 siblings. My two aunts that were the oldest have passed on some years ago leaving my dad and his brother.
Dad is 81, Uncle Bob, yes Bobs my uncle, is 85. I can only hope that I am as fit as he is at that age.
Grandpa, my uncle and dad were all carpenters and my uncle is a pretty skilled cabinet maker. Dad joined the Air Force originally as a carpenter but moved in to electronics soon after joining.
My uncle sawed up about 100 board feet of some of the nicest quarter saw white oak I've ever seen at an incredible family price of 60¢ a board foot.
I drove down to their little homestead yesterday and picked it up.
Got a nice tour of the sawmill operation. He has one of these set up - https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Portable-Sawmills/LT15-Portable-Sawmill?keyword=woodmizer%20lt15&creative={creative}&msclkid=96b58a870c8114370b58d6924313bf8c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Portable%20Sawmills%20%7C%20Search%20B&utm_term=woodmizer%20lt15&utm_content=Wood-Mizer%20LT15%20%7C%20Search

Also had a pleasant visit with my aunt and 2 of my adult cousins I haven't seen in 30+ years.
I see my uncle and aunt usually a couple of times a year when dad and the wicked step-mother pass through town.
We spent a couple of hours reminiscing about family members and event and caught up on who was still alive, who had passed on andwhat all medical issues we and our immediate family members have had.

Anyway, after loading the wood and enjoying a nice visit with family my uncle invited me out to see his wood shop. I probably left a trail of drool looking at his mostly antique industrial grade woodworking tools, tables saws, planers, jointers... While we were looking around I noticed an old 2-man crosscut saw hanging on the wall. I mentioned that I had one that came from his dad's farm after he passed and it was my turn to pick through the junk piles. We took turns oldest to youngest to collect the stuff.
He said he remembered the saw and was with his dad when he bought it. They had taken a load of cotton to the mill in town in a horse drawn wagon and with some of the proceeds from the sale Grandpa bought the saw at the local hardware store for the lofty sum of $7.00 . Which, as my uncle pointed out was a lot of money in 1947.

Darn good day.

My Grandfather helped clear the dammed area of Lake Allatoona in North Georgia when he was a young man (this was the late 40s.) This was before the advent of chain saws of course so they used crosscut saws. So for several months he did nothing but cut trees with a cross cut saw. The company (Georgia Power) provided sharpening for the various crews but my Pop worked with an old timer who liked to sharpen his own blades during lunch.

Different times. No longer those guys look good when theyre old. They are working from an incredible baseline of fitness.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.