Author Topic: TSA detains Ron Paul organization member as suspected millitia  (Read 9818 times)

zahc

• friend

"Militia members most commonly associate with third-party political groups, said the report, issued Feb. 20 by the Missouri Information Analysis Center"

I knew I took that Ron Paul bumper sticker off for a reason. No telling how much trouble it may have saved me.

1. Is it time to be paranoid yet

2. How much of the first ammendment is suspended by the TSA? I know that the TSA is a magical organization with special powers, but one of the detainee's questions was "Am I legally required to answer the questions" and I would be asking the same thing (or at least wondering).

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/06/tsa-detains-official-from-ron-paul-group/
blog post with video:
http://whowhatwerewolf.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/am-i-legally-required-to-answer-this-question/
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: TSA detains Ron Paul organization member as suspected millitia
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:11:07 PM »
So a Paulian and a TSA goon butted heads.  And the Paulian lost.

Hmm... 

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »
Is it time to be paranoid yet

Yes. It has been quite some while now.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:40:36 PM »
How dare he not answer the questions he was "axed."

Hilarious that they're having a kitten over less than $5K, when the legal travel limit is $10K.

And... the legal travel limit for undeclared cash has been $10K for-ever... In spite of inflation.

This is malicious intent to intimidate and control where no control is authorized.

The entire exchange is laughable... stupid/ign'ant TSA agents bullying this guy, and the guy not giving a simple answer.  Though... the money is campaign and activism contributions from folks that hate stupid/ign'ant TSA agent-types and he was representing the people that put the cash into his possession.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »
How dare he not answer the questions he was "axed."

Hilarious that they're having a kitten over less than $5K, when the legal travel limit is $10K.

And... the legal travel limit for undeclared cash has been $10K for-ever... In spite of inflation.

This is malicious intent to intimidate and control where no control is authorized.

The entire exchange is laughable... stupid/ign'ant TSA agents bullying this guy, and the guy not giving a simple answer.  Though... the money is campaign and activism contributions from folks that hate stupid/ign'ant TSA agent-types and he was representing the people that put the cash into his possession.

Hey man, if you're in the position to fight, by all means, fight!

I'm glad someone does, and someone can.

EDIT:
What IS the TSA's legal authority, anyway?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:57:23 PM by Nitrogen »
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:57:10 PM »
Thank goodness TSA is finally doing some good! =D

So a Paulian and a TSA goon butted heads.  And the Paulian lost.

Hmm...

Yeah, but the Paulian was lost without his mommie and his lava lamp!  At least I'm certain the Paulian was wearing his Star Wars underwear. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »

what limit is that? internal travel has no limits i'm aware of  you are wise to be able to demonstrate source of funds though. i keep copy of withdrawal slip. claim it as gambling winnings figure to talk to the irs

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 07:21:13 PM »
Ok I know everyone here hates Ron Paul, hates his supporters, and thinks they all deserve anything they get. But the really remarkable fact, to me, is the bit about suspecting third-party canditate supporters of being radical militia. Even if you hate RP and love denigrating his followers, perhaps one day there will be a third party candidate that you do support.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »
I heard the tape on the radio the other day, the "paulian" was being cooperative but asking what
law are they accusing him of breaking, asking if he is being detained.
TSA and LE were being very obtuse.
its as if they had less training and understanding of the law then the stupidest mall ninja.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaWUBgpA5WM

He asked something like "I don't understand why I'm being detained" and the cop said "we'll make you understand"  it was clearly a threat, to top it off, they never charged him with anything because he was not in violation of any laws.
the recording I heard was enough to make your blood boil.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »
C&SD:  Undeclared means undeclared.

Just because some $12/hr flunky at TSA is astounded that I might choose to carry $5000 in cash on my person doesn't give him any grounds to consider it suspicious.

Hell, I could blow $5000 getting a new apartment set up somewhere.  I could be traveling to buy a piece of art.  It could be a wedding gift for a very good friend.  

Simple fact is:  It's below the declared legal limit and as such, none of his effing business.

Also:  Checks aren't money.  They are private financial instruments.  Going through them and counting them as part of the $4300 in this situation is an unwarranted invasion of ones' papers and effects.  

This man gets more and more respect from me the more I think about this.  He made these low paid, low skill drones with way too much authority actually THINK about what they were empowered to do in the line of work.

This hits close to home for me.  I never travel with less than $500 cash on me.  I don't like depending upon the promise of a credit card to be available when I'm trying to eat or put a roof over my head hundreds of miles from home.  Relying upon the personal discretion of a TSA-tard on what is an "acceptable" amount of money to have on your person is in direct conflict with the letter of the law.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 07:33:04 PM »
they get right nosey about anyone with lots of cash  his status politically probably elicited less suspicion than a wad of presumably small bills  5 k makes a pretty good knot.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 07:34:41 PM »
the cop said "we'll make you understand"  it was clearly a threat,

tsa does not equal cop   cops showing up equaled him going on his way  did he miss his flight?

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »
there is no declared limit within the usa   and large sums of cash have always got you extra attention from the cops  even in the 70's  i spent a couple days in pw county while they tried to figure what to do to me about the cash they caught me with. they hada settle for bringing it to the irs's attention

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 07:41:38 PM »
what the cops/tsa did was outrageous!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 07:44:41 PM »
C&SD:  Undeclared means undeclared.

Just because some $12/hr flunky at TSA is astounded that I might choose to carry $5000 in cash on my person doesn't give him any grounds to consider it suspicious.

Hell, I could blow $5000 getting a new apartment set up somewhere.  I could be traveling to buy a piece of art.  It could be a wedding gift for a very good friend.  

Simple fact is:  It's below the declared legal limit and as such, none of his effing business.

Also:  Checks aren't money.  They are private financial instruments.  Going through them and counting them as part of the $4300 in this situation is an unwarranted invasion of ones' papers and effects.  

This man gets more and more respect from me the more I think about this.  He made these low paid, low skill drones with way too much authority actually THINK about what they were empowered to do in the line of work.

This hits close to home for me.  I never travel with less than $500 cash on me.  I don't like depending upon the promise of a credit card to be available when I'm trying to eat or put a roof over my head hundreds of miles from home.  Relying upon the personal discretion of a TSA-tard on what is an "acceptable" amount of money to have on your person is in direct conflict with the letter of the law.

100% correct afaik, this tape is really disturbing and is a clear abuse of authority under color of law

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 07:46:25 PM »
what the cops/tsa did was outrageous!

what did the cops do?  besides release him in time to catch his flight

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 07:49:32 PM »

They threatened to arrest him and were in the process of doing so right up until it became apparent that the man had "connections" with a US Representative and a (somewhat) well organized campaign machine.  Then they backed off after they had that information.

Were it just plain old me pulling the exact same thing?  Probably different outcome.

The cops/TSA/whatever overreached their authority.  That's what is outrageous.
--Lysander Spooner

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 07:57:36 PM »

They detained him, berated him and when he wouldn't play along with their fascist power play they threatened him.

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
are tsa cops now? i listened to the tape and they told him they had sent for the cops.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »
Guys. Let's take stuff in proportion, shall we?

I mean. I don't think these guys should have acted in this manner.

But come on. It's not an act of terrible, evil oppression. This guy was held up for 30 minutes. There are far more disgusting things you can pin on the government without blowing every tiny incident out of proportion.

I love the CFL, God bless their radical hearts, but that sounds like they're pulling for donations.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 08:50:33 PM »
Ok I know everyone here hates Ron Paul, hates his supporters, and thinks they all deserve anything they get.

Having a whiny little girl moment or something? Jesus...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 08:57:57 PM »
When two fools get in a pissing contest they all deserve anything they get.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:32:11 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 09:17:09 PM »
I knew I took that Ron Paul bumper sticker off for a reason. No telling how much trouble it may have saved me.

1. Is it time to be paranoid yet

2. How much of the first ammendment is suspended by the TSA? I know that the TSA is a magical organization with special powers, but one of the detainee's questions was "Am I legally required to answer the questions" and I would be asking the same thing (or at least wondering).

1.  Has been for a while.
2.  Not much, but the TSA doesn't think so.   They really do think they're a magical group with special abilities.  Hell, I was 'detained' because I told them that no, they could not make me power on my laptop and show them what was on it.  Actually, I'd really prefer not letting my laptop out of my line of sight.  Course, it did take me a while to explain to them that the laptop in question was property of the US government and actively had classified information on it (OIF info, dealing with troop and equipment movements).  After they finally understood that I was very willing to call the FBI to have THEM detained, they settled for giving me the full treatment.  But my friggin laptop remained in my line of sight the entire time. 

Apparently folks with govt ID, on govt orders, with the ticket paid by the govt and in possession of classified material are a high terrorist risk.  =D

I think they do have a "smart***" database, as I've been flagged for a random search each and every time I've flown since. 

Only other good TSA story I have is an old one.  Remember back when Guard guys were still guarding airports?  After the TSA came online, they started phasing it out.  Anyways, shortly after TSA took over at an unspecified airport, the NG guys were still there.  Some of the brighter scumbags figured out if you kicked the metal detector or whatever, you could make it go off.  Sure enough, there after, whenever a very attractive young lady would walk through, it would go off like clockwork. 

This one time, a very well endowed young lady was positively beaming just prior to getting through the metal detector.  Why?  Her boyfriend was in a local NG unit and was on shift.  Naturally, the soldiers keeping on eye on the gate radio'd him that his lady friend was coming through.  Some other soldiers that knew her also started wandering over.  Well, metal detector went off, and the TSA guy decides to give her a very thorough, very hands on search.  She was in tears and highly upset, and he was very focused on his hands on search.  Neither noticed a very large, angry, and well armed soldier walking up until he put the stock end of his M16 into the back of the guy's head.  The crowd cheered, the rest of the soldiers started assuming low ready weapon positions, and the TSA folks tried not to make any sudden movements.

=D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 10:49:35 PM »

Legal travel limit? $10,000?

What legal travel limit? He was traveling within the United States. Where is there any law or regulation limiting how much money I can carry with me when traveling between two states? I believe the $10,000 limit applies only to what you have to declare when entering the United States from another country.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
The Homeland Security agency further explained that carrying large amounts of cash through airport checkpoints "may be investigated by law enforcement authorities if criminal activity is suspected."

Since they clearly knew the money was campaign funds, just how can there ever have been any question of criminal activity?

Besides, since when is TSA empowered to investigate crimes?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.