Author Topic: Traction Control  (Read 9803 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Traction Control
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:31:54 PM »
Is it just me or do other folks find traction control in cars really annoying?  I stay about 10 years behind the curve on new car technology so this is a new thing for me.  My old car was a subaru legacy from right before the full time all wheel drive thing started where when there was slippage in the front tires 4wd would kick in automatically.

I like the concept of traction control when already moving and it kicks in if I start spinning.  However, it is annoying the ever loving crap out of me when merging into traffic at an intersection in my 99 Avalon.  If I forget to turn it off before the intersection and the road is even slightly wet it kicks in when I step on it and it lets off the gas for me.  If there is any slippage at all it kicks in.  This is the sort of intersection where you have to merge from a stop sign into 45+ MPH mildly heavy traffic and need to get on it a bit.  I would rather the front wheels just spin a little and let me get moving rather than it trying to protect me somehow.

Azrael256

• friend
Re: Traction Control
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »
It's a good thing for idiots who don't know how to handle their car, and for high performance cars that can become catastrophically out of control even for advanced drivers.

Unfortunately, that's an inverted bell curve, and you and your car are at the bottom of it.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »
I agree. I feel the same way about ABS, and Honda's Linked Brake system. Broken by design I say.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 05:37:40 PM »
I think most all driver aids(power steering, power brakes, ABS, trac control )save the car until you get the car so far gone that God himself, or Michael Schumacher couldn't save it. IOW, it lets people push the envelope because they are no longer aware that it exists.

I've been testing the ESP out in my Mercedes c280. It is pretty hard to save a car based on traditional reactions when the stability program is trying to save it too. It does have a handy off button tho. My rigorous test protocol involves mainly seeing how far out of line I can get the rear wheels on various gravel roads. Almost time for new tires, so no more tests soon.  :angel:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »
I turn off the traction control almost immediately after starting the car. It's hard to chirp the tires when the motor is being electronically sedated.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »
I've been known to pull the ABS and Traction fuses unless it's icy out.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 05:44:20 PM »
I discovered this on our "new" car last winter when we were trying to go up a muddy hill - almost to the top the TC sets in and just brings us to a dead halt.  Had to back down and start all over again :(

I'm not sure if there is a way to turn it off, besides putting the AT in low gear which sorta defeats the whole purpose of driver control. (better to be in a higher gear to avoid wheel spinning)

I've found that the best way is just to drive like an idiot like the manufacturer expects - lots of throttle and let the computer figure it out.  If you try to back off the power as normal it just screws everything up.

I don't really have a very high opinion of FWD either.  Our old Suburban can get around just fine in 2wd after the car has to be confined to the garage.  ;/

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 05:44:44 PM »
It is pretty hard to save a car based on traditional reactions when the stability program is trying to save it too.

Exactly. And what if you WANT to spin/lockup the tires?  

I've been known to pull the ABS and Traction fuses unless it's icy out.
On the GM trucks I used to drive, I pulled the ABS fuse ESPECIALLY when it was icy. I had it do some rather unsettling things.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »
Exactly. And what if you WANT to spin/lockup the tires?  
On the GM trucks I used to drive, I pulled the ABS fuse ESPECIALLY when it was icy. I had it do some rather unsettling things.

It depends on the car.  My Acura did absolutely wonderfully in the ice with ABS, and I could see a marked improvement.  My current Infiniti does well, but not as well as my Acura.   My ex-wife's Honda, deleted, i'd pull the fuse even in the ice.

i'm not a very skilled ice/snow driver, since I've rarely driven in such conditions. Spent most of my driving life in California, Arizona and Texas where ice is rare, so I don't mind a little help.

What say we watch our language on this very public, all-ages forum?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:12:23 AM by Gewehr98 »
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »
Traction control in my wife's ESV is a hoot.  Driving around in 8" of snow last spring like a maniac in a parking lot...trying to do donuts   >:D

Most vehicles have a button you can push to turn it off.  Leave the pavement, click the button.  Traction control works pretty darn well on icy, wet, or snowy roads.  At least hers does.
My F150 has a rear limper.  I almost killed mtnbkr and I last winter on an icy overpass....that made me go  :O

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
Is it just me or do other folks find traction control in cars really annoying?  I stay about 10 years behind the curve on new car technology so this is a new thing for me.  My old car was a subaru legacy from right before the full time all wheel drive thing started where when there was slippage in the front tires 4wd would kick in automatically.

I like the concept of traction control when already moving and it kicks in if I start spinning.  However, it is annoying the ever loving crap out of me when merging into traffic at an intersection in my 99 Avalon.  If I forget to turn it off before the intersection and the road is even slightly wet it kicks in when I step on it and it lets off the gas for me.  If there is any slippage at all it kicks in.  This is the sort of intersection where you have to merge from a stop sign into 45+ MPH mildly heavy traffic and need to get on it a bit.  I would rather the front wheels just spin a little and let me get moving rather than it trying to protect me somehow.
If I were to own a vehicle with traction control I would leave it turned off permanently.

But ... that's "IF" I were to own a vehicle with traction control. Since the likelihood if that is so slight as to effectively be zero, it isn't a concern.

There's a reason that person behind the wheel is called the "driver." The manufacturers need to rethink the wisdom of making it progressively "safer" for "drivers" to spend their wheel time doing everything except driving.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:15:42 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 06:19:10 PM »
Traction control is absolute garbage.
Humorous case in point:
My wife called me one day to tell me that she got her car stuck in the driveway because it had snowed 2" during the day. I get home, start the car, put it in gear, and it doesn't move- the tire won't even spin. I turn the traction control off and drive away with no problems.

With ice and low traction conditions, you need to spin the tires to get moving. On dry pavement traction control isn't going to help you win a drag race either. It might be one of the gayest features ever put on a car.

I'm not a fan of ABS either. I think it teaches people stupid habits like jamming on the  brakes instead of quickly steadily applying pressure- which will get you in trouble if your ABS invariably fails during hard braking (the ABS sensors have crapped out on 2 of my vehicles so far, once while braking hard to avoid someone running a red light.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 08:20:21 PM »
I like the ESP on my Jeep - especially on unplowed winter roads. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »
it might be the tires, i know slick tires make my abs go nuts =) just something to think about

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »
I miss being able to lock up the wheels and slide sideways when I need to. Not a big fan of ABS at all. The wife's Monte has TC, it has developed a habit of engaging for no apparent reason. They can't figure it out because it doesn't register any fault codes. Sweeeet..  ;/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 11:03:36 PM »
The only thing I can tell you is my '99 Chevy Silverado has disconnected ABS and no traction control. I manage just fine...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 11:21:13 PM »
In its last days, my old Ford Ranger didn't have steering, but I persevered. ;)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »
Last fun car I had was my '96 T-bird, RWD and good motor, the highlight was any parking lot after it snowed. Of course one night I pulled off a nice 360 on dry pavement with about 40mph of forward speed, so maybe it was a little too fun.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 08:36:41 AM »
ABS is good stuff. I much prefer having all my brakes work at maximum power when I need them rather than having to manually modulate my braking based on one brake that locks up early.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 09:04:31 AM »
Fly320s speaks true.

The same logic applies to big heavy flying things when landing, too.

There's varying levels of "traction control".  Some cut power, others redistribute it to the wheels that have traction. 

Hell, even the locker I installed in the back of my S-10 does its own version of traction control.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
I miss being able to lock up the wheels and slide sideways when I need to. Not a big fan of ABS at all. The wife's Monte has TC, it has developed a habit of engaging for no apparent reason. They can't figure it out because it doesn't register any fault codes. Sweeeet..  ;/

Me too.

Also kicking it into 4 wheel drive, slam on the brakes into a skid then stomp on it and make the vehicle crab walk sideways.

ABS doesn't let me get into a skid.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 09:41:51 AM »
Fly320s speaks true.

The same logic applies to big heavy flying things when landing, too.

There's varying levels of "traction control".  Some cut power, others redistribute it to the wheels that have traction. 

Hell, even the locker I installed in the back of my S-10 does its own version of traction control.

Hey, I like ABS when it's well implemented and designed properly.

I haven't come across many such systems...everything we've had completely sucks. Always going out, messing up, not doing that well, etc. It can be very expensive to replace the ABS computer, too, especially when it's the exact same design and going to exhibit the exact same issues and fail.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 09:57:59 AM »
Raining cats and dogs here today.  420 HP, pedal to the floor off a stop light.  Not a problem.  AWD + Traction control, AOkay in my book.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 09:58:59 AM »
abs and traction control keep my wife from killing the kids.44
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »
I'm generally a fan of ABS, Traction Control, Stability Control and other electronic safety features. In some cases, yes a very skilled driver can do just as well or better than the system. But most drivers on the road are not very skilled, or even if skilled & experienced, not always paying attention.

I consider myself a skilled driver who has had plenty of practice playing in snow parking lots, and I lost control once in a non-ABS vehicle when my rear tires locked up on wet pavement due to a pavement change on an exit ramp. I believe ABS would have saved me in this case, the lockup & skid occured too fast for me to correct it.

Some of the more advanced features like stability control, emergency braking assist, etc do actually get better performance from the vehicle than a driver can because they have more control. For example, emergency braking assist uses the ABS pump to rapidly apply full brake force when it detects you are hitting the brakes agressively in a panic stop. It does this faster than a human can and this shaves a few feet off of stopping distance. Or stability control, where it can individually brake one wheel to correct an excessive yaw rate that would result in a skid. Can't do that with the brake pedal.