Author Topic: Hooray for foodstamps  (Read 9809 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Hooray for foodstamps
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »
My germanic friend tells me that in Germany, ALDI sells repackaged beer overruns under its brand name, which makes for the best cheap beer ever. I wish they would take up the practice in the US.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Mrs. Inor

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2010, 12:22:21 AM »
A bit off the topic here. For a few years Inor and I would go out near Christmas and buy a bunch of toys for the Toys for Tots bit. One year one of the local papers showed a picture of a mom (with 7 kids) in her subsidized apartment thanking the TFT folks for making her kids Christmas one to remember. She was sitting on one of those (if not leather, than one of those leather equivalent) reclining sofas in impeccable shape. Behind her the kitchen had a microwave, coffee maker, blender, food processor and enough gadgets to make a gourmet chef drool. Off to the side you could see two computers with all the trimmings (game player thingys) and a huge big screen t.v. Fortunately it was a few weeks before Christmas. What we did instead was "adopt" two families who had a family member (mom or dad) overseas in Iraq. Best damn Christmas we had ever had. Shopped for nine kids and two adults. Our local meat market guy gave us two whole hams at cost. I cooked the trimmings and we delivered a full meal and presents a few days before Christmas. It was eye opening and - well - still tear up thinking about it. One of the families we still keep in touch - invited to her retirement, kids graduations, etc. As far as I am concerned - the food stamp welfare folks can screw the system all they want.  My money goes to the folks who keep their sorry asses free.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2010, 12:25:42 PM »
A bit off the topic here. For a few years Inor and I would go out near Christmas and buy a bunch of toys for the Toys for Tots bit. One year one of the local papers showed a picture of a mom (with 7 kids) in her subsidized apartment thanking the TFT folks for making her kids Christmas one to remember. She was sitting on one of those (if not leather, than one of those leather equivalent) reclining sofas in impeccable shape. Behind her the kitchen had a microwave, coffee maker, blender, food processor and enough gadgets to make a gourmet chef drool. Off to the side you could see two computers with all the trimmings (game player thingys) and a huge big screen t.v. Fortunately it was a few weeks before Christmas. What we did instead was "adopt" two families who had a family member (mom or dad) overseas in Iraq. Best damn Christmas we had ever had. Shopped for nine kids and two adults. Our local meat market guy gave us two whole hams at cost. I cooked the trimmings and we delivered a full meal and presents a few days before Christmas. It was eye opening and - well - still tear up thinking about it. One of the families we still keep in touch - invited to her retirement, kids graduations, etc. As far as I am concerned - the food stamp welfare folks can screw the system all they want.  My money goes to the folks who keep their sorry asses free.

From a service member who spent one Christmas in Iraq and a second one at home on leave before going to Iraq, I would like to thank you and your husband for doing that.  I know that the families may not have "needed" that done but it is nice to know that someone remembered the family for their sacrifice.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:58:55 PM by wmenorr67 »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »

Terrific !   :cool:

Thank you for doing that. 

How can the rest of us find out where the military familes are in similar circumstances ?

Mrs. Inor

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2010, 12:09:35 AM »
First I tried the chaplain at Fort Snelling here.  He sent my email to one of the state National Guard guys and eventually I heard heard from a Lt. Col. I guess I would call the closest guard unit.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2010, 08:59:39 AM »
Terrific !   :cool:

Thank you for doing that. 

How can the rest of us find out where the military familes are in similar circumstances ?

Check with a local church. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”