Author Topic: The American  (Read 9852 times)

longeyes

• friend
The American
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
A movie where a gun "expert" describes bullet velocity in miles per hour is a strange movie. =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: The American
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 12:59:22 PM »
A movie where a gun "expert" describes bullet velocity in miles per hour is a strange movie. =D
I think I'll start giving velocity in Mach.  >:D

Was the movie worth watching?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
I'm trying to avoid spoilers...  If you like Italy travelogues, yes. =)
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:49:32 PM »
I watch very little coming out of hollyweird anymore.  Caught a preview for this thing.  Watching Clooney file the tip of a bullet was more than enough to tip this one into the "why bother" category.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 01:54:22 PM »
Guess I'll watch the Expendables, then.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 02:24:38 PM »

Who's he describing it to?  Miles per hour is much more meaningful to some people.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 03:24:15 PM »
Someone who wants a custom sniper rifle, someone knowledgeable.  I'd tell you what he ends up building but you'd laugh.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
Ah.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
Someone who wants a custom sniper rifle, someone knowledgeable.  I'd tell you what he ends up building but you'd laugh.

No, please, ruin it for me.

Is it a Mosin-Nagant? :D

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 04:21:51 PM »
No, please, ruin it for me.

Is it a Mosin-Nagant? :D

Carcano? *cough-snicker*

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »

mini14

booger hook
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:40:11 PM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »
Oh, comeon. The Ruger Mini is the most accurate assault rifle known to man! I read it on THR fer cryin out loud!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
If they had hung more tacticool stuff on it, it would have been even more better awesomer deadly.  It's obvious their firearms technical advisor was not on his game.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 05:10:48 PM »
If they had hung more tacticool stuff on it, it would have been even more better awesomer deadly.  It's obvious their firearms technical advisor was not on his game.
Yeah, where's that gonkulator? Gotta have it, otherwise it'll be worthless. I also don't see any sub-atomic weasel launcher either. Nor a chainsaw bayonet. Nor was it cut down to 5 inches. That's what happens when you don't use GunKid Firearms Service Inc for all your movie related needs regarding firearms.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »

Oh it's quite possible any firearms adviser they had pointed out the errors, it's also quite likely that after he did so the director smacked him over the head with a sock full of quarters, stuffed him in a closet, and then went about directing his vision
Look, tiny text!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »
At least it's a Ranch Rifle, and not one of those bastard clunky aftermarket scope mounts on a standard Mini.

With a shoulder thing that goes up.  Which La Blonde does not appear to have actually against her shoulder.

"Why bother" squared.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 06:17:35 PM »
Oh it's quite possible any firearms adviser they had pointed out the errors, it's also quite likely that after he did so the director smacked him over the head with a sock full of quarters, stuffed him in a closet, and then went about directing his vision

Kinda sad that someone has visions of a Mini-14 sniper rifle....  ;/

...but I'll still probably see it anyway...not too many spy/assassin movies out anyway....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 06:45:19 PM »
the biggest thing missing is the bottle opener, how are you going to open your beer after a kill with no bottle open on your rifle. ???

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 07:24:50 PM »
Yeah, where's that gonkulator? Gotta have it, otherwise it'll be worthless.
Unless it was being built for a Navy SEEL, why would he add something that's only useful on a submarine?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 07:42:46 PM »
Unless it was being built for a Navy SEEL, why would he add something that's only useful on a submarine?
If you were a SEEEL like Gunkid (even more special than a mere SEEL), you'd understand that a gonkulator has it's uses above the surface as well.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 08:19:57 PM »
If you were a SEEEL like Gunkid (even more special than a mere SEEL), you'd understand that a gonkulator has it's uses above the surface as well.

Yeah.  You should gonkulate at least twice a week.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 08:22:42 PM »
Yeah.  You should gonkulate at least twice a week.

Do you brush your teeth or exfoliate afterwards?  I can never remember.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »
It's obvious their firearms technical advisor was not on his game.
By the time the firearms adviser got through laughing, the director had already agreed to use it and finished shooting the movie and likely finished production as well. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

nico

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »
Guess I'll watch the Expendables, then.

Terry Crews with his incendiary shotgun shells in the AA12 was much more believable than a Mini 14 sniper rifle  [ar15].  I saw the Expendables today and was a little disappointed that he didn't get more camera time.   

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 11:30:37 PM »

That's an awesome chin weld.
What's that thing above the trigger supposed to be? Da switch?
I think I'll pass on this movie.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama