Author Topic: For the modern hippie: a new VW Bus  (Read 9824 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: For the modern hippie: a new VW Bus
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
I could drop the Thing motor, shove in a replacement and drive away in 45 minutes.

I think I still have Muirs Idiots guide stored in memory

I still have that book.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hamilton Felix

• Part Time Good Guy
  • Do what's Right, not just what's easy.
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 07:25:56 PM »
Wow, brings back memories.  Vacation in 1966, in Dad's 1964 camper bus.  Gasoline furnace in that thing.  My mother's cool brand new 1963 Beetle had 40 hp, not just 36, like her 1956 model. And a big rear window (since '58 I believe), not a little oval like the '56.  And really cool, it had an actual fuel gauge, not just a reserve valve you kicked when the engine cut out.  Yes, it used the spare under the hood to pressurize the windshield washer.  

The VW Thing is basically a WWII Kubelwagen, except it has a high, less steeply sloped hood, and carries its spare inside instead of on top of the hood.  

As a kid, our "brush car" was a VW that Dad had bought cheaply after the owner rolled it, the "Bent Beetle."  Used a Porta Power to jack out the roof a bit.  Never replaced the windshield (you didn't have to get out to shoot a grouse).  If you slid on wet ground and leaves, and smacked a tree, you got out and pulled the fender away from the tire, then off you went.  It got run out of oil a few times, froze/quit.  Hike home, get oil; get back with oil and it was cool.  Pour it full of oil and off you went.  

The air/oil cooled VW did not like to be lugged but had bombproof bearings.  Run it flat out on the highway and it would run forever.  Lug it, and it would swallow #3 exhaust valve - sometimes about every 25,000 miles.  Coaster wagon is handy to slide engine back out of van.  You can drop Beetle engine on ground then have friend help you lift rear of Beetle a bit and roll it forward.  The 6v battery under rear seat was weird, but you got used to it.  

That 1964 van had the same wheelbase as the Beetle, but it had the gear reduction final drive, so it had effectively lower gearing and more ground clearance.  BTW, it's possible to assemble a transaxle with the ring gear on either side.  Assemble it the way you would for a bus, with its final drive, and you could end up with a Beetle that had four speeds backward and one forward.  

Trivia: Ferdinand Porsche whipped up the "people's car" when der Fuhrer demanded it, largely by copying from the Czech Tatra he had recently studied.  
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:34:48 PM by Hamilton Felix »
Well, in the first place an armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.  For me, politeness is a sine qua non of civilization. - R. A. Heinlein, Claude Mordan to Hamilton Felix, in Beyond This Horizon

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »
Lug it, and it would swallow #3 exhaust valve - sometimes about every 25,000 miles.

ain't that the truth!  we learned to leave that valve a hair loose.  i was lead to believe 3 heated up cause the oil cooler obstructed airflow. i went to a remote auxiliary oil cooler  mounted it in the rear airscoop only trick then was the cooler and lines held a fair amount of oil  you needed to allow for that
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »
I had a '71 bus, with a slushbox auto tranny and a porsche engine... It'd smoke the tires, but only from a start... It once hauled several students, and 7 kegs... Miracle it made a few of the hills.
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »
I think I still have Muirs Idiots guide stored in memory

Me too.  I still have my copy even though I haven't owned a Beetle in well over a decade.  Gonna get one again some day...

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 10:04:18 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 11:49:46 PM »
After I opened those last two links, Microsoft Security Essentials found malware in one of them. It says "Exploit: JS/ShellCode.O"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »
get a mac

;)
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 07:16:30 PM »
Former 72 Super Beetle owner...what simple cars...the new ones are a disgrace to the REAL ones....soulless, expensive and flashy....sigh....
One day at a time.