Author Topic: The bulletproof dog that stormed Bin Laden's compund  (Read 9752 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: The bulletproof dog that stormed Bin Laden's compund
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »
Would not attempt the arm down throat with a dog that has titaniam teeth, though...

The SOCOM dogs are pretty much bionic dogs.

[tinfoil]  Makes me remember "Max" from the old '70s show, "The Bionic Woman."  A German Shepard "lab animal" that was horribly burned in a lab fire and turned into a half-robot dog named "Maximillian."  Actually, because "Max" cost a "million" dollars. [popcorn] [tinfoil]  Ahhhh, the fond memories of 1970s television.   [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »
I bet someone at DARPA somewhere is working on training dogs to use thermal goggles.

Actually, the dog's nose would be far more effective.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 12:18:16 PM »
Actually, the dog's nose would be far more effective.  ;)

That needs no improvement.

And I would have said NV, but the dogs are probably already as good as a Gen III NVD, so I went with thermal.

So in classic gunboard parlance I say "get both".
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »
Which Cyberpunk book had the augmented thermal sniffer dogs?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »
Which Cyberpunk book had the augmented thermal sniffer dogs?

Uh... "Count Zero" I think. The storyline of the Merc who escaped with the scientist's daughter from the Maas Biolabs complex built into a Southwestern U.S. desert mesa. He went to his brother for a hideout/help. His brother had dogs with "hoods" that had NGV/Thermal/Sensors over their heads as a security system.

I believe there was a comment made that there were no rabbits, raccoons, or possums left in the area.  =D
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »
actually, I was under the impression that they do it before the dog breaks teeth, simple so it won't happen in the feild. The toes and nails are also reinforced.
The stomachs are also sewn to the abdomen wall to prevent tortion during jumps.

And its only done to a few dogs.

And I would think it to be smart. A dog who busts something ibecauses generally a pain in the ass. Not so much because the dog would be in pain, but... Well, flinging blood comes to mind. Especially on busted toes.

I'm suprise they don't also crop ears, as injuries to the ear generally result in a distracted dog, and more flinging blood. Ear injuries take forever to heal, because dogs shake their heads. But I guess, since the generally have prick eared dogs, and people at large are not a fan of earcropping, they don't do it.

The Anatolians Louise sold to the Air Force many years ago had their teeth and stomachs done.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
Maybe it's caps then.

Because even the best dental implants just don't hold as well as real tooth roots. Nor do they feel right, being dead metal. Teeth do actually provide a lot of sensation, but we only tend to notice when it's pain, or it's suddenly gone.
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »
Maybe it's caps then.

Because even the best dental implants just don't hold as well as real tooth roots. Nor do they feel right, being dead metal. Teeth do actually provide a lot of sensation, but we only tend to notice when it's pain, or it's suddenly gone.

You got to think of this from a diffrent perspective. Its not about making the dogs teeth some badass weapon, but preventing pain and damage to the dog.

My dads terrier, Northwest, once got in a fight with my beagle. Actually, Northwest was beating the crap out of Buster. When Dad pulled Northwest off, he wouldn't let go and held on to Buster so tight , he essentially pulled out his own fang.
Now, Northwest wasn't so bothered by this. He was more concerned with being top dog then the fang hanging out of his mouth and blood pouring all over the place. But it sure bothered dad.

Caps wouldn'tprevent this kinda thing, but fake teeth would. Northwests tooth ripped sraight out, but that was luck. One ripped out halfway or to the side wouldbe a lot worse. Fake teeth that have a bit less hold wouldactually be better.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 02:26:33 PM »
Fake teeth that have a bit less hold would actually be better.

An advantage to getting older ?   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »
Sadly, I looked into this further and that's just a rumor. Apparently they'd only do that if a dog broke it's teeth, and it's skills were so good it was worth the dental work, rather than retiring the dog. Despite the actual strength of the Titanium tooth or teeth, the tooth to jaw interface would never be as strong as a live tooth and that dog would actually be a at a disadvantage.

One of those things one certainly wants to believe is true, though, it sounds so cool.

Seems kind of a mean thing to do to a doggy, if his teeth were healthy. =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »
Why has nobody posted this yet?

"It's good, though..."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 04:57:15 PM »
"It's not plane nor bird nor even frog. It's just little ol' me, Underdog!!"  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 05:10:08 PM »
Uh... "Count Zero" I think. The storyline of the Merc who escaped with the scientist's daughter from the Maas Biolabs complex built into a Southwestern U.S. desert mesa. He went to his brother for a hideout/help. His brother had dogs with "hoods" that had NGV/Thermal/Sensors over their heads as a security system.

I believe there was a comment made that there were no rabbits, raccoons, or possums left in the area.  =D

http://books.google.com/books

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 05:15:45 PM »
Dogs'll watch the house." He scratched the animal behind its plastic hood. "Right, boy?" The dog whined and twitched. "I had to train `em off coon hunting when I put their infrareds in," he said. "There wouldn't've been any coons left in the county .

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/cyberpunk/gibson_countzero.shtml

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »
Dogs'll watch the house." He scratched the animal behind its plastic hood. "Right, boy?" The dog whined and twitched. "I had to train `em off coon hunting when I put their infrareds in," he said. "There wouldn't've been any coons left in the county .

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/cyberpunk/gibson_countzero.shtml

I guess I remembered it pretty well.  =D

Too bad my head's just full of SciFi and trivia, instead of something that would have made me rich.  =|
I promise not to duck.