Author Topic: Windows XP, 7, and 8  (Read 9815 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Windows XP, 7, and 8
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:20:59 AM »
While the story itself is somewhat unremarkable, what I found interesting was the market shares of XP, 7, and 8. Win 7 wasn't much of a surprise, but 8 was lower than I expected with most new computers coming with it, and I was really surprised that XP still holds that big of a market share, especially given that MS is no longer providing updates for security holes. I would have figured more XP users would have migrated to 7 or 8 either via software upgrades, or acquiring new machines.

Also, I couldn't help but compare Microsoft's marketing strategy for getting more people on Win 8 to Obamacare. "We want people to use our overhyped new product that nobody wants to use, so we're canceling all their Win 7 policies to get them to switch."  :laugh:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/12/10/microsoft-ends-windows-7-retail-sales-directs-consumers-to-windows-8/?intcmp=features
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Windows XP, 7, and 8
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 06:09:22 AM »
My desktop and my primary work laptop are both still on XP, and I see no reason to switch. They both still do everything I need done.

I did buy a new laptop a few months back. I didn't need it and I am not using it ... yet ... but it looked like everything was rapidly shifting to Windows 8 being pre-installed and Toshiba Direct had one model of satellite that was affordable and configured to my liking that they were still shipping with Windows 7, so I bought it to be sure I didn't get stuck with Win8.

My desktop at work (state-owned and maintained) is also on XP.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 06:21:29 AM »
I don't do stuff outside the OS (programming wise) but my gaming laptop came with Win8, and I've been using it steady now since June.  It's not that bad.  It hasn't crashed, runs all the software I ask it to, and after a short learning period I can find everything I need quickly.  Windows 7 worked fine, but 8's not that bad, at least at my user level.  Some of the multi-touch gestures when running my touchpad are actually handy.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:12:03 AM »
so, what would happen if some third party started offering updates and maintenance for older operating systems?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:39:28 AM »
I still run XP in a VM, but my work and home desktops are both 7.  At work we have a mandate to get rid of all XP before the official cutoff of support in April.

I've avoided 8 until this past week.  My wife and I decided to replace both of our ghetto laptops (they're both being held together with duck tape at this point) with one nice one to supplement the ipads.  I was going to stay with 7, but she fell in love with the idea of a touchscreen on the laptop, so I now have a Win 8.1 machine to play with. 

It's not bad as long as you keep reminding yourself that it's a tablet-style interface.  I'm going to try and learn to use it as is, but I may end up giving in and installing something like Classic Shell to get a more familiar interface back.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:05:20 AM »
so, what would happen if some third party started offering updates and maintenance for older operating systems?

Corporations would be happy, but home users often don't understand patching. Let alone third party patching. MS controls the built in patching mechanism, and it's become much more functional since Win 7.

Win 8 is a corporate no-go. It's probably fine for consumers. Don't know, don't care, not my market segment. For enterprises? Yea. It's like Vista, but less usable. It allegedly has some awesome enterprise features. Which no enterprise will use because they're not drunk or high enough to use Win 8. Allegedly 8.1 would address these concerns. Instead, 8.1 was a barely disguised "No, **** you". Allegedly, 8.2 will address these concerns. I give it 50/50 that it's another "No, **** you" to enterprises vs a pseudo Win 7 ish desktop. Either way, Win 9 will look like Win XP or Win 7, with a changed start menu that looks goofy and stupid but works well enough.

Win 8 bet that everyone and everything will have touchscreens. They lost that bet. They bet everyone WANTS a unified OS between their Xbox, their desktops, their tablets, their phones and their servers. They must have been sniffing various neurologically damaging solvents at the time, but that was their bet. They lost that bet.

So, Win 8, Win 8.1 and Server 2012 are dead on arrival. Allegedly Win 8.2 and Server 2012 R2 will magically fix these problems. Solution is easy, obvious and cheap. Slap on an optional (that corporations can make mandatory via group policy) Win 7 desktop. Ideally, Win 7 desktop with all the eyecandy turned off. I'd hand Microsoft buckets of cash overnight for such a thing.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »
I still run XP in a VM, but my work and home desktops are both 7.  At work we have a mandate to get rid of all XP before the official cutoff of support in April.

I also run XP in VMs, simply because I have a bunch of freakin' copies of it around the house. One thing that I think is really hurting MS is that businesses and gov don't seem to be embracing 8 at all. Both are slow to change, actually for good reason I think, when it comes to OS upgrades, but by this time after 7 came out, even fed.gov was starting to migrate to it from XP. I haven't even heard speculation in my neck of the woods on when we would be migrating to 8. There's a test install I've seen that's been running on one of our DC VMs, but it's been there for over a year and nobody talks about it.

And Revdisk said a lot of relevant stuff while I was typing...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 10:10:44 AM »
My 8 year old Dell XPS is running XP, and I still use it for some stuff. My latest is a Dell Alienware desktop and it came with Windows 8 - I'm not real fond of this operating system, but so far it's not quite as horrible as some have written. I've been holding off on the "free upgrade" to 8.1 because I've read on the Alienware forums that issues have arisen with 8.1 and some of the proprietary software (Alien Control Center) installed; updates were just issued, but I'm going to wait a few weeks and let others be the guinea pigs.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
My personal use laptop is XP as is Ladypine's tower.  Also have another XP laptop with a funky video for parts.

For work, I have one corporate XP laptop and an one Windows 7 laptop.

We (the client company) were talking about completely re-doing the engine maintenance software for Windows 8, but with the difficultly getting funding, it will probably be Windows 9 or 10 or 11  ;/  Since it will take about a 2 year cycle for development, whatever we do will be "obsolete" by the time of release  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 10:40:01 AM »

You kind of need source code for that.  They might have released source for DOS by now, I can't recall.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »
So, Win 8, Win 8.1 and Server 2012 are dead on arrival. Allegedly Win 8.2 and Server 2012 R2 will magically fix these problems. Solution is easy, obvious and cheap. Slap on an optional (that corporations can make mandatory via group policy) Win 7 desktop. Ideally, Win 7 desktop with all the eyecandy turned off. I'd hand Microsoft buckets of cash overnight for such a thing.

Server 2012 isn't that bad.  It boots by default to the desktop.  Install Classic Shell and you never have to deal with the Interface For Toddlers.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »
Server 2012 isn't that bad.  It boots by default to the desktop.  Install Classic Shell and you never have to deal with the Interface For Toddlers.
Or use 2012R2

2012 and 2012R2 have enough under the hood improvements to make interface annoyance a nonissue.

And besides, if you're doing most of your management by logging into a server's console, you're doin it wrong. The new interface doesn't affect powershell or system center at all

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
I'm compelling my user base in my company to use Win8 and even Win8.1.  They kick and scream, but I subject myself to the same abuse.  My test VM is Windows 8 and I was among the first batch to go to it.

We're a software company.  People need to know how to use these new OS's even if they don't want to change.  Otherwise, I'd have most of my user base on Windows XP if they had their choice.  They'd stick with it indefinitely, and we'd still be WinXP when Windows 2020 (codename Hindsight) is released. :rofl:

Right now, about 10% of our computers are XP.  50% are Win7. 20-30% are Win8.  And we have a handful of Win8.1.  All joined to our domain.  Mixed bag of Server OS environments.  Windows 2000 all the way to 2012.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
I'm compelling my user base in my company to use Win8 and even Win8.1.  They kick and scream, but I subject myself to the same abuse.  My test VM is Windows 8 and I was among the first batch to go to it.

We're a software company.  People need to know how to use these new OS's even if they don't want to change.  Otherwise, I'd have most of my user base on Windows XP if they had their choice.  They'd stick with it indefinitely, and we'd still be WinXP when Windows 2020 (codename Hindsight) is released. :rofl:

Right now, about 10% of our computers are XP.  50% are Win7. 20-30% are Win8.  And we have a handful of Win8.1.  All joined to our domain.  Mixed bag of Server OS environments.  Windows 2000 all the way to 2012.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
I'm still using accounting software designed for Windows 95  =D

It works.  The principles of debits and credits hasn't changed.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »

No, it makes sense to punish developers. Also, ideally they test their software in a variety of desktop OS's.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
I'm still using accounting software designed for Windows 95  =D

It works.  The principles of debits and credits hasn't changed.

You haven't been listening to Obama, have you.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »
Allegedly, 8.2 will address these concerns.

Hadn't heard about 8.2. When's that supposed to come out?

Also, this bears repeating:

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 11:51:48 PM »
Remember how much people whined going from Win98se or Win2k to Win XP?

It's like 2002 all over again.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 12:03:55 AM »
Remember how much people whined going from Win98se or Win2k to Win XP?

It's like 2002 all over again.

What's Win98?

=D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 12:12:49 AM »
What's Win98?

=D

Code name Memphis!

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 01:04:10 AM »
Code name Memphis!

"Long-Distance Information, give me Memphis, Tennessee..."
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Windows XP, 7, and 8
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »
Forced to go to win7 last year.  Not impressed.  After 01jan will get rhel installed on work lappy.  Every winxp and win7 pic I use gets winclassic desktop and all the bullshinola turned off.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 08:11:14 AM »
Interface preference is definitely a matter of what you're used to.  I'm still flailing around with 8.1.  I keep trying to use it like it's Win7 or XP, which doesn't work that well.  My 17 year old got on it and she immediately started using it without any problems. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »
Interface preference is definitely a matter of what you're used to.  I'm still flailing around with 8.1.  I keep trying to use it like it's Win7 or XP, which doesn't work that well.  My 17 year old got on it and she immediately started using it without any problems. 

My trick is one the home screen I just start typing what I want and a list of programs appears.

I also pin my favorite ones to the task bar.

Uranus is a gas giant.