Author Topic: Windows XP, 7, and 8  (Read 9816 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Windows XP, 7, and 8
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 08:45:19 AM »
Remember how much people whined going from Win98se or Win2k to Win XP?

It's like 2002 all over again.

Difference is, Win XP is quite useful for most daily tasks. Even being 12 years old.

Admittedly, it didn't become fully that way until SP2, but after that, it was Pretty Decent. Folks have been using it for a decade or longer. Prior Windows OS's kinda sucked but sorta kinda did the job. NT was the first Microsoft OS that didn't lock up or crash on a regular basis, and had at least heard of the concept of "security". Lotta folks used NT for a very very long time because it worked well enough. I wasn't impressed by Windows 2000, but understand that someone might be if they hadn't used NT. I haven't seen any functionality in Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 that most users really need or want. IMHO, Win 7 is a slightly more stable than XP. Most of my XP boxes I had to reboot at least once a week. Most of my Win7 boxes run for a month or two before needing a reboot.

Microsoft would have less upgrade aversion if they stopped HUGELY fapping about with vastly different interfaces that only a handful of people significantly like. Make a handful of menu options/themes for the eyecandy folks, then put your actual time into security, speed, stability, and value-added crap (like Paint, Snipping Tool, etc). Stop hugely fapping about with the core of the OS unless it's fixing something that is broken or it'd be a huge breakthrough in the speed of the user experience. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 08:47:43 AM »
I still kind of miss 3.1, when it was still a program and not an OS
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 08:54:54 AM »
Remember how much people whined going from Win98se or Win2k to Win XP?

It's like 2002 all over again.

Leaving 98 was pure win.  Going from w2k to XP?  Not so much.  2k was a high point.  XP was w2k with an interface on crack look.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »
Win 2.1 to 3.1 - meh, dos is dos, man.
Win 3.1 to NT - pure win.
Win NT to Win 2000 - sure, okay (there was a win95 and 98? Who knew?).
Win 2000 to XP - win.
XP to Win 7 - not bad. Pretty good actually (what's Vista?).
Win 7 to Win 8 - grumble grumble grumble (At least there's classic shell. If I would have wanted a tablet I would have bought one. Touchscreen? How am I supposed to see my monitor with fingerprints all over it? LINUX!!!!!!!!!!).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
Win 2.1 to 3.1 - meh, dos is dos, man.
Win 3.1 to NT - pure win.
Win NT to Win 2000 - sure, okay (there was a win95 and 98? Who knew?).

Oh, let's see.  You could reconfigure your networking, without rebooting.  USB worked.  You weren't forever reinstalling service packs, like you were supposed to with NT.  And Plug 'n Pray worked.

Four definite wins for the NT to 2K move.

Win 2000 to XP - win.
XP to Win 7 - not bad. Pretty good actually (what's Vista?).

Veesta == WinME redivivus.

Win 7 to Win 8 - grumble grumble grumble (At least there's classic shell. If I would have wanted a tablet I would have bought one. Touchscreen? How am I supposed to see my monitor with fingerprints buggers all over it? LINUX!!!!!!!!!!).

Stuff breaks, and it can't be fixed.  Maybe they figure 8 is self repairing, like ME was said to be.

Recovery Environment is super hard to get to.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 09:55:21 AM »
Oh, let's see.  You could reconfigure your networking, without rebooting.  USB worked.  

I forgot about USB. That was big.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 09:58:10 AM »
Leaving 98 was pure win.  Going from w2k to XP?  Not so much.  2k was a high point.  XP was w2k with an interface on crack look.

I still like W2K.  It has everything 98 and NT did, plus has full-featured USB support.  XP is a step up, once you turn off "Use visual styles" in the advanced system settings (that turns off the Fisher-Price look), but a small step up, and it's kind of bloated. 

I like Win7, but it doesn't really do anything that I couldn't do with 2K -- except install programs that refuse to load on 2K because it's "not supported."

One of the church computers has Vista.  I don't use that one much, but it doesn't suck as much as everybody says (maybe because I don't use it much)

I've only had one encounter with Win8, but it was awful.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 10:06:44 AM »
One of the church computers has Vista.  I don't use that one much, but it doesn't suck as much as everybody says (maybe because I don't use it much)

Vista isn't "tool of the devil" terrible, I just didn't find it elegant. It seemed very bloated to me. For run of the mill computer users, I don't think it was too much different than a lot of the other MS OSs. It was on a computer I bought for my sister years ago. I would cuss when I had to go over there and diagnose stuff on it, but she had no problem using it for basic web surfing and MS Office stuff.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 11:04:15 AM »
Difference is, Win XP is quite useful for most daily tasks. Even being 12 years old.

Admittedly, it didn't become fully that way until SP2, but after that, it was Pretty Decent. Folks have been using it for a decade or longer. Prior Windows OS's kinda sucked but sorta kinda did the job. NT was the first Microsoft OS that didn't lock up or crash on a regular basis, and had at least heard of the concept of "security". Lotta folks used NT for a very very long time because it worked well enough. I wasn't impressed by Windows 2000, but understand that someone might be if they hadn't used NT. I haven't seen any functionality in Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 that most users really need or want. IMHO, Win 7 is a slightly more stable than XP. Most of my XP boxes I had to reboot at least once a week. Most of my Win7 boxes run for a month or two before needing a reboot.

Microsoft would have less upgrade aversion if they stopped HUGELY fapping about with vastly different interfaces that only a handful of people significantly like. Make a handful of menu options/themes for the eyecandy folks, then put your actual time into security, speed, stability, and value-added crap (like Paint, Snipping Tool, etc). Stop hugely fapping about with the core of the OS unless it's fixing something that is broken or it'd be a huge breakthrough in the speed of the user experience. 

Yeah, mostly this ^^^.

Have not seen any useful increase in functionality since Win2000.  More just a whole lot of useless CPU/GPU/RAM-sucking bloat and GUI change for change's sake.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
Yep, I dread each new OS release due to interface changes.  Windows 2000 was about the peak of the interface design.  I've thought most of the UI changes after that were negatives.  What my business users want is consistency.  We are still only recommending Windows 7.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »
Have not seen any useful increase in functionality since Win2000.  More just a whole lot of useless CPU/GPU/RAM-sucking bloat and GUI change for change's sake.

What!!??  You don't consider it to be an increase in functionality to move stuff around so you can't find it anymore ???

Or to remove the file system search feature...?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 11:26:23 AM »
Yeah, mostly this ^^^.

If you run programs like I do that use multiple cores and more than 4GB of RAM Windows 7 64x is a god send.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
If you run programs like I do that use multiple cores and more than 4GB of RAM Windows 7 64x is a god send.

And the back end improvements are great (x64 and more RAM).  The interface changes are the problem.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 11:31:51 AM »
And the back end improvements are great (x64 and more RAM).  The interface changes are the problem.

It's not so bad once you get used to all the things that you can't do that you could do on XP  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I wonder which post-DOS MS OS version remained in general use, at least for business and technical applications, the longest? I'm thinking it will be either NT or XP. I might give the edge to XP, especially since in the NT era, there didn't seem to be the rush from any OS maker to come out with "vastly new and improved" nearly as often as they all have in the last ten years (Even Linux seems to go nuts with the new versions). Given that so many people stayed with XP when newer versions came out, that says a lot about its usefulness and acceptance.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I wonder which post-DOS MS OS version remained in general use, at least for business and technical applications, the longest? I'm thinking it will be either NT or XP. I might give the edge to XP, especially since in the NT era, there didn't seem to be the rush from any OS maker to come out with "vastly new and improved" nearly as often as they all have in the last ten years (Even Linux seems to go nuts with the new versions). Given that so many people stayed with XP when newer versions came out, that says a lot about its usefulness and acceptance.

Possibly 2000? At least, in the business around here, IME, it stayed in use for quite some time, due to a lot of the folks not wanting to risk breaking their existing networks (until SP2 or SP3 came out) by upgrading to an unproven OS.

...Much like they did with 7 initially, and much like they're doing now with 8.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 04:27:05 PM »

Uh...

Version 1.0 was released on 14 March 1994.
Version 2.0 was released on 9 June 1996.
Version 3.0 was released on 22 July 2011.

Yes, Linus Torvalds has indeed gone nuts. Nuts, I tell ya. Why, Version 4.0 will probably be released as early as 2020.

I think you mean Ubuntu, not Linux. They release a new version of their distribution every April and October, with a stupid animal name. Not sure who started the whole "whimsical adjective and noun" concept instead of a logical versioning convention, but they need to be stabbed, crucified and burned as a warning to other developers.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »
I can get on board with going all stabby. the Amdroid version names aggravate me.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 04:38:40 PM »
Well , if we're simply talking about versions of the kernel, then there haven't been that many major revisions for windows, either.

3.51  Windows NT 3.51 
4.0  Windows NT 4.0 
5.0  Windows 2000 
5.1  Windows XP 
5.2  Windows Server 2003 
6.0  Windows Vista - Windows Server 2008 
6.1  Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2 
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 04:44:29 PM »
Okay I meant ubuntu, smart aleck. :P  =D

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
I think you mean Ubuntu, not Linux. They release a new version of their distribution every April and October, with a stupid animal name...

Doesn't Ubuntu do long-term support releases too?  (I know I've seen "LTS" somewhere, but that might be a different distribution)
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 04:57:46 PM »
Doesn't Ubuntu do long-term support releases too?  (I know I've seen "LTS" somewhere, but that might be a different distribution)

Yes, about every 2 years. The 6 month releases add all the fluff, and when they get the bugs worked out they release an LTS version. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. I'm still running 10.04 LTS.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »

Yeah, 12 currently is. I'm typing on it on a VM as we speak (or, er, type).

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
Yes, about every 2 years. The 6 month releases add all the fluff, and when they get the bugs worked out they release an LTS version. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. I'm still running 10.04 LTS.

The current LTS is 12.04, and it will be supported until 2017.

For extended support,
choose Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS is a long-term support release. It has continuous hardware support improvements as well as guaranteed security and support updates until April 2017.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I am strongly tempted to put it on this laptop (hp compaq 6715b), as this laptop seems to really, really not like Ubuntu 13.10.  The one thing I really need an up to date version of, I can compile from source.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:31:23 PM by lee n. field »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
I still kind of miss 3.1, when it was still a program and not an OS

Ditto.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design