Author Topic: Amazon Prime missing delivery dates  (Read 9736 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Amazon Prime missing delivery dates
« on: December 31, 2014, 11:23:50 AM »
This has happened several times now.  For example they ship something halfway across the country by ground service on Wednesday so it doesn't arrive until Monday.  Guaranteed delivery was supposed to be Friday.  Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

I have a package sitting in the UPS Service Center right now, scheduled to be delivered Friday (tomorrow is a holiday) that was supposed to be here today.  :mad:  UPS online says that's actually a day ahead of schedule because of the way it was shipped.  I've put in a will-call on it, the service center is just 1.5 miles from where I work and *maybe* I can pick it up this afternoon (UPS web site says it will be available Friday)

Amazon raised the price of Prime from $79 to $99 per year and the service went down.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Amazon Prime missing delivery dates
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »
A couple of guesses:

1) This happens to me once in a while this time of year because of increased package traffic.

2) UPS and Fedex are both raising rates and changing the way they charge for packages, prioritizing size over weight. I read that this has caused Amazon to explore options to reduce shipping cost. I think I ran into this over Christmas. I ordered one of those big 24qt Rubbermaid containers people use for camping, etc. for my Niece's husband. I was surprised to see that it was going to be delivered by Pilot, which for those not familiar is one of those local delivery services that you usually get stuff like big TVs, appliances, etc delivered by, curbside to your home, and they make a delivery appointment with you.

I was surprised by this because of how light the container was (maybe 5lbs). When it arrived, it was in a ginormous 5'x3' box. The container itself was only maybe 30"x15". One of the reasons I read for the carrier change in pricing is because they are more concerned with space, and merchants waste it with inefficient packaging.  I could see their point with this particular package (and many others I have received that were smaller, but still had packaging 300% or more larger than the item).

Amazon sent me a survey after the delivery asking how I liked the service, so it looks like among other things, they are exploring new shippers. Also I see they are really pushing the "not in a hurry for delivery, here's $1 off on Amazon media" thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:47:56 AM »
This is an assortment of small items; they split it into two shipments from different warehouses.  One box (the larger one) will be delivered today.  The other (small 1 lb box) could have been delivered today -- it arrived at the local UPS hub at 03:00 -- but I think UPS is sitting on it because they don't want to deliver more than one day early.

This was supposed to be a project for me to work on tomorrow.  Not a big deal if I can't start on it until Saturday, but annoying because it throws off my brewing schedule.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 12:07:37 PM »
This is an assortment of small items; they split it into two shipments from different warehouses.  One box (the larger one) will be delivered today.  The other (small 1 lb box) could have been delivered today -- it arrived at the local UPS hub at 03:00 -- but I think UPS is sitting on it because they don't want to deliver more than one day early.

This was supposed to be a project for me to work on tomorrow.  Not a big deal if I can't start on it until Saturday, but annoying because it throws off my brewing schedule.

I think some of this is geographic as well. I've often had two-day items delivered in one day by UPS (not so much by Fedex) at home, but out at the folks, it's rare to get a package before its scheduled delivery date. One surprising exception has been USPS, which has been really on the ball with Amazon deliveries over the last year, and not just with the Sunday stuff, but getting stuff to me before the scheduled delivery date.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:20:10 PM »
I think some of this is geographic as well. I've often had two-day items delivered in one day by UPS (not so much by Fedex) at home, but out at the folks, it's rare to get a package before its scheduled delivery date. One surprising exception has been USPS, which has been really on the ball with Amazon deliveries over the last year, and not just with the Sunday stuff, but getting stuff to me before the scheduled delivery date.

My experience is the opposite. Handoff to USPS for local delivery is my main failure point.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »
With the absurdly high number of packages going out this time of year, not a shocker that packages are getting lost/delayed. My projector, shipped last week from their Phoenix warehouse to my Phoenix address, somehow got lost and went to California instead. I've had a few dozen packages delivered earlier in the year with no delays or issues, though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
My experience is the opposite. Handoff to USPS for local delivery is my main failure point.

I wonder if that's again geographic, and related to USPS distribution centers? At home, the main sort facility for the county is practically down the street from me and mail is delivered by .gov employees. At the folks, while the main sort facility is in town, their rural route mail is delivered by some guy in a jeep.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 12:32:14 PM »
It's been perfect for me the last couple of months.  The only "error" was I got a a package way early.  I got the "your item has shipped" email after it arrived but 1 day before it was due.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 12:42:19 PM »
The "drone thing" is looking less and less stupid on Amazon's part.

As is the issue of making people unhappy collecting state sales tax thing too. They open distribution centers in the state, promise all the sales tax, the lure of "good jobs" (for a few managers maybe, all the order pullers have all that anecdotal whining in blogs etc. that the job is hell on earth) get a TIF District and a sweetheart land deal for a distribution center.
I promise not to duck.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
I have had multiple Scamazon orders delayed past the "guaranteed" date in the last month, my first ever. This, along with multiple shady moved like removing the shows I like from Prime after I bought their tv box, subverting my Prime membership with the bogus add-on item program, and making it increasingly difficult to identify goods and vendors (items not matching photos, same item number with customers reporting getting slightly different goods, so I can't even be sure the reviews reflect the item I will get)...all adds up to me being less than happy with Scamazon nowadays.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »
I think some of this is geographic as well.

Geography is irrelevant, and quite possibly totally unknown to shipping companies from what I can tell.

For example, I've got two Prime packages that currently show out for delivery.

December 31, 2014, 10:23 am, Brownwood TX US   Out for delivery
December 31, 2014, 10:12 am, Brownwood TX US   A carrier delay has occurred
December 31, 2014, 10:12 am, Brownwood TX US   Package arrived at a carrier facility
December 31, 2014, 1:50 am, Austin TX US   Package arrived at a carrier facility
December 30, 2014, 2:15 pm, Memphis TN US   Package has left the carrier facility
December 30, 2014, 2:49 am, ---   Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier
December 30, 2014, 10:30 am, Mesquite TX US   Package arrived at a carrier facility
December 29, 2014, 10:17 pm, Campbellsville KY US   Package has left the carrier facility
December 29, 2014, 10:14 pm, Campbellsville KY US   Package received by carrier
December 29, 2014, 7:11 pm, Campbellsville KY US   Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier

Three things stand out; Brownwood is an hour west, and not normally the delivery facility for here, while Mesquite (2.5hrs east) is, the packages started from the same region but took really different routes, and the one shipped earlier by the normal route isn't showing out for delivery at almost noon, but still says on time for delivery today.  Both orders were placed well before 8AM on the 29th, so IMO, Amazon does a lot of it to themselves by delaying the initial ship-out so often and having to effectively overnight the package to meet the two-day deadline.  I think that's the first package I've seen in a long time that actually made it out the same day it was ordered, and it still took them 12 hours to drop a <2 ounce single item in a box and get it out the door.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
Ah; ran the actual tracking numbers, and it seems the "out for delivery" one is FedEx, with expected delivery by 4:30 today.  Must have just missed the morning delivery guy, which would have been the "carrier delay" this morning.

The "in transit" one is UPS, and while Amazon still shows "on time" for today by 8PM, UPS's site shows expected delivery Friday.  That's the single, tiny, not particularly delicate item, while the FedEx one should be around shoebox size at a minimum.  Sometimes I think they roll dice to pick carriers on a per-item basis as I've had a single order from a single warehouse shipped all on one day show up by UPS, USPS and FedEx all on the same day.  Nothing odd-shaped, special handling or oversized, either; it all would have fit in the largest of the three boxes with room for padding.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 01:08:56 PM »
If you get Prime order past its guaranteed delivery date complain and they will give you an extra month of Prime.  Think of it as them giving you $8.25 every time they screw up by a day or two.

subverting my Prime membership with the bogus add-on item program
???  How is that subverting your Prime membership?  In my experience, the add-on program significantly reduces the cost of items because they can cut much of the shipping cost built into the price.
and making it increasingly difficult to identify goods and vendors (items not matching photos, same item number with customers reporting getting slightly different goods, so I can't even be sure the reviews reflect the item I will get)...
I've had this issue too.  Irritating to have to return items that don't match my order, but I don't have to pay return shipping and there is a UPS store on my way home.

I have noticed a lot of "free 4-5 day shipping for Prime members" notices on bulky items too.  A little irritating, but not the end of the world.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 01:34:56 PM »
Geography is irrelevant, and quite possibly totally unknown to shipping companies from what I can tell.

Geography is absolutely relevant. If Amazon and carrier distribution centers are closer together, or you live where there are large distribution hubs, you're getting your stuff faster. That's one of the whole points of Amazon's Sunday and same day delivery options.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »
They've recently bumped my membership out a month for an item that didn't even leave their warehouse until after the guaranteed delivery date.  (I received that one a week late, and there's no way they can blame the carrier)  Will they bump it again?

UPS is closed today, so I definitely won't get it until Friday.   [ar15]
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »
Geography is absolutely relevant. If Amazon and carrier distribution centers are closer together, or you live where there are large distribution hubs, you're getting your stuff faster. That's one of the whole points of Amazon's Sunday and same day delivery options.

Agreed...Living here in Cincinnati, we are 90 minutes from Louisville KY which is where one of the largest Amazon warehouses and UPS's hub is.  We also have a large Amazon warehouse in Hebron KY which is right across the river from Cincinnati.  I can get things next day on 2 day shipping, particularly if I order in the morning.  The same thing happens with Zappos.  Whenever I have ordered from them, I always choose the free 2 day shipping because more likely than not I will get it the next day.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 03:15:38 PM »
I have never had a Prime order miss its projected date.  I've had several get here early (as in 24hr delivery), even on Sundays.

Add-ons are probably items that would NOT be prime without their "add-on" status, so I don't consider that a bad thing.

Chris

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »
I have never had a Prime order miss its projected date.  I've had several get here early (as in 24hr delivery), even on Sundays.

Looks like I'm about to, unless they can get Starfleet to transport the box out of the Mesquite hub.

Add-ons are probably items that would NOT be prime without their "add-on" status, so I don't consider that a bad thing.

Haven't seen an option to pay to ship them alone, though.  Sometimes when it's a small item, I'd be willing to pay Priority Flat Rate to get it without having to come up with a full order.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 03:27:58 PM »
???  How is that subverting your Prime membership?  In my experience, the add-on program significantly reduces the cost of items because they can cut much of the shipping cost built into the price.

You have fallen for their sly tricks.

Once upon a time, there was Amazon. You could order things, but it was only worth it for large orders. But if you really wanted to buy a $2 part, and pay shipping, you could. Or you could wait until you had $25 in your cart and get free super saver shipping.

Then,  they invented prime.  You give them 80 dollars, and you don't have to wait until you have 25 in your cart to get free shipping.

Then they invent the add-on item program.  Now,  if you want a $2 part,  it's probably an add on item.  Which means that not only do you have to have 25 in your cart, you don't even have the option of paying a few dollars in shipping...you have to put 25 dollars of stuff in your cart or they won't sell it.  You are still paying 80 dollars for Prime but for an increasing number of items, your deal is worse than 5 years ago,  when you got free shipping on orders over 25 without paying them 80, and at least you had the option of paying shipping, always.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 04:27:31 PM »
Yes. My problem is that they ship it surepost, because I should get it in two days.

Problem A) sometimes it's there early enough for the days truck, sometimes it's not. B) It's surepost, not two day shipping, meaning it's not overly high on the list of things to move. C) My local post office is staffed by fluffing morons who half the time drop it off in the apartment office five minutes before they close, instead of using one of the package boxes or *gasp* dropping it off at my door.

I've called on more than one occasion and pointed out to them that surepost is not two day shipping, surepost is "well geogrpahically it should work out to two day shipping...".. They never quite seem to make the connection.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »
C) My local post office is staffed by fluffing morons who half the time drop it off in the apartment office five minutes before they close, instead of using one of the package boxes or *gasp* dropping it off at my door.

After I caught the UPS guy lobbing packages onto my second floor balcony from the ground, I ordered ~40lbs of ammo and had them put "good luck with that" in the shipping notes.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 06:14:54 PM »
You have fallen for their sly tricks.

Once upon a time, there was Amazon. You could order things, but it was only worth it for large orders. But if you really wanted to buy a $2 part, and pay shipping, you could. Or you could wait until you had $25 in your cart and get free super saver shipping.

Then,  they invented prime.  You give them 80 dollars, and you don't have to wait until you have 25 in your cart to get free shipping.

Then they invent the add-on item program.  Now,  if you want a $2 part,  it's probably an add on item.  Which means that not only do you have to have 25 in your cart, you don't even have the option of paying a few dollars in shipping...you have to put 25 dollars of stuff in your cart or they won't sell it.  You are still paying 80 dollars for Prime but for an increasing number of items, your deal is worse than 5 years ago,  when you got free shipping on orders over 25 without paying them 80, and at least you had the option of paying shipping, always.
Seems to me that prior to the add on program there were precious few (if any) $2 Prime products. Everything was $4.96 or something for a $1.50 product, and the price wasn't any less if your order were a large one.

There are still marketplace sellers who charge shipping for many items if you want to go that route.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:28 PM »
You are not alone in your Prime displeasure.
I've had at least two orders over the last year miss the specified delivery date.

My biggest gripe is the fact that Prime Eligible items are routinely priced 5-10 dollars more than identical items with standard delivery.

Prime did however, bail me out of a last minute Christmas gift snafu, that I would have never let get out of hand had I not had a Prime membership to fall back upon.

My Prime membership will not be renewed,  I am dissapoint.

eta

I had a vision (or a nightmare) that Amazon bought out FedEx. 
Consider this your insider stock tip of the century.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:07:04 PM by Tuco »
7-11 was a part time job.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 10:22:32 PM »
They've recently bumped my membership out a month for an item that didn't even leave their warehouse until after the guaranteed delivery date.  (I received that one a week late, and there's no way they can blame the carrier)  Will they bump it again?

UPS is closed today, so I definitely won't get it until Friday.   [ar15]

I've had about half of my orders on "Prime" arrive late in about the past 6 months. My orders all said "standard 2 day delivery". It's not exactly a "new" problem.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 02:13:08 AM »
Just had my own little fun with this.  Non-important shipment is a day late (Oh the noooooooeeeeessss!).  I just got a free month of prime for an $11 item, didn't even have to ask.  Spent 5 minutes in chat.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117450
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford