Author Topic: 5 blue-collar jobs that pay $ 100K  (Read 9779 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Re: 5 blue-collar jobs that pay $ 100K
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
Thinking on this some more...what would the members of the forum consider to be a 100k job, speaking in terms of an hourly rate with 1.5 o.t. for +40 hrs?

48 per hour (100k /2080)? 40 hrs per wk
40 per hour (100k/2380)? 46 hrs per wk
35 (100k/2580) 50 hrs per wk
30 (100k/2930) 56 hrs per week

It seems like "Could make" 100k per yr has a very wide range of interpetations
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »
As someone who is salaried, a $ 100 K job is one that pays me that salary for one year (52 weeks at 40 hours per week, or 2080 hours).  This works out to $ 48.08/hour.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 06:56:07 PM »
As someone who is salaried, a $ 100 K job is one that pays me that salary for one year (52 weeks at 40 hours per week, or 2080 hours).  This works out to $ 48.08/hour.

This is how I would look at it too. Whether salaried or hourly, it should be the baseline for "$100K/yr". Salaried employees may (usually do) get ripped by working over that without monetary compensation (though you can usually get comp time), while hourly employees may work over that, but be paid overtime.

I've been both hourly and salaried, and I never thought of my hourly jobs (some of which included a lot of OT) as what I made with OT, which can be quite variable. OT was always kind of a bonus, but never counted upon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
I have friends who are making a pile of money as welders. They run their own shop, have tons of orders. They work 7 days a week, and sometimes nights.

NYPD has a starting salary of 46K out of the academy, 90K after 5 years. With overtime, 100K sounds extremely likely. (I just had to look this up for an argument yesterday) Yes, the cost of living is nuts, so it's not as much as it sounds.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 05:02:13 PM »
I think these guys outside my window right now might be making something close to 100k...

I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 05:10:58 PM »
I think these guys outside my window right now might be making something close to 100k...

Probably well north of $100k for a crane operator...
Is that the cooter building (whatever its called) off Mich. ave?
I used to drive by there every day until they closed van buren/jackson/whatever exit was there to get to the lakefront.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »
Union crane operators 20 years ago made 55 an hour

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 05:40:32 PM »
Probably well north of $100k for a crane operator...
Is that the cooter building (whatever its called) off Mich. ave?
I used to drive by there every day until they closed van buren/jackson/whatever exit was there to get to the lakefront.

Close, it's the site of the red-granite Northwestern Mutual building they demolished to build the even bigger tower. I'm looking at it from just south across Wisconsin Ave.

I promise not to duck.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 09:03:50 PM »
The only thing worse than the free market for setting wages is every other system tried.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »

They let you have a window?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.