Author Topic: Suppressor Voids Warranty  (Read 749 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Suppressor Voids Warranty
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:25:58 AM »
I saw my LGS is carrying Maxim Defense items now:

https://www.maximdefense.com/product/300blk-pdx/

Neat gun, but what I found interesting when looking at the info at the Maxim site was this (bolding theirs):

Any aftermarket (Non-Maxim parts and components) modifications that alter the original manufacturer configuration of the product (Firearm, Upper or Accessories) void the manufacturer warranty. This includes removing and replacing the HATEBRAKE with a Suppressor. Maxim Defense does not warrant, assume any liability or responsibility for damages incurred, or injury resulting from, firing a Maxim Defense firearm with a suppressor.

Not sure why this would void a warranty? They seem to cater to mil/le as well,  so suppressor compatibility would be important, I'd think. I see they have their own suppressor on their site, so maybe they just want the dough. I'm just curious if there is really a mechanical reason why a suppressor would void a warranty.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Suppressor Voids Warranty
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:35:38 AM »
What I heard was the short barreled rifles like that can have reliability problems if stuff is done that changes the backpressure on the gas system.  Most suppressors would add a lot of backpressure.  There are suppressor designs that meant to have low back pressure.  I would have thought one of those would work.  

That kind of turned me off on the design, but I can still see how the very very small package would still be pretty neat to have.  Classic Firearms had a giveaway going with the 7.62x39 version.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:46:57 AM »
I've been watching review videos since I posted, and apparently that hatebrake creates similar backpressure to a suppressor.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 11:40:30 AM »
They aren’t going to waste time tuning your rifle until it works because of something you installed.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!