Author Topic: Suggest linux distro other than Ubuntu  (Read 3825 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Suggest linux distro other than Ubuntu
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 09:22:38 AM »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
My first run with Linux was Debian GNU 2.1 in about 99. Due to the small hard drive I had at the time I would backup Windows on Thursday night. Install Debian on Friday night when I got home from work, and pull the old 14.4 serial modem out, and play with it all weekend. Then back to Windows so my with could use the system during the week.

It was getting late last night with just a few hours sleep the last two days and not feeling very well. I think I'll take a fresh look at the other distros.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
I'm burning PCLinuxOS right now, but I just realized it's apparently a 32-bit distro. Good for many things but a waste of my expensive memory.

Fedora seems to be 32 bit only. WTF. 32-bit is so 2003.

Maybe I'll go crawling back to Ubuntu and see if the Desktop CD will actually install.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »
if you have the time, and are willing to do some heavy reading.
http://www.gentoo.org/

"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:08:16 PM by Jim147 »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
If stability is your ultimate goal, another vote here for Centos.

We also use it at work for Oracle servers and for our VMWware machines. None of them have gone down... ever.
I promise not to duck.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Posted a bit late last night and didn't say everything I wanted to.  If I were installing a new distribution for myself and Arch were out of the running, I'd go with Gentoo or Slackware.  Part of the fun of Linux for me is learning new things, and I learned enough from my first install of Gentoo to where this time I could probably skip past the bad choices I made in the beginning that eventually convinced me to jump ship.  And Slack, I've just always loved the way it's put together.

But if I were to install a distro on another person's PC, I'd have to go with Debian or CentOS.  Arch is out of the running because blindly calling pacman -Syu (the Arch equivalent of apt-get update && apt-get upgrade) can break things, sometimes seriously.  That's the downside of running a rolling-release distro--sometimes big changes in something like Gnome will break something somewhere else, and if I'm not 100% sure the user is going to read the upgrade notes BEFORE upgrading, I'd really rather not deal with his phone calls.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »

My new shiney server is CentOS.   I am in love.  I'm not switching to another server distro anytime soon. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.