Author Topic: Hay fever remedy  (Read 3090 times)

Hutch

• friend
Hay fever remedy
« on: June 02, 2010, 03:17:17 PM »
For many years, I've been able to keep my "seasonal allergies" well controlled with a generic OTC of Chlor-Trimeton.  It's about the most benign as far as side effects go.  My symptoms are usually just itchy eyes, scratchy throat, the occasional sneeze.

Well, that seems to have played out.  I went to a doc-in-the-box with symptons that seemed to suggest a sinus/ear infection, and he assures me it's allergies.  I'm ready to try something other than chlorpeneari.. whatever, but not Benadryl (sleepy-time).  I refuse to set much stock in the TV adverts out there.  What do y'all recommend?

Thanks...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Re: Hay fever remedy
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:28:40 PM »
Until a week or so ago, I'd never been subject to any sorts of allergies.  For some reason, this year my body began to object to all of the trees and grass having sex in my nose, and I've gotten all of the typical symptoms:  itchy/watery eyes, runny nose, itchy throat. 

At first I only got the symptoms at night, and so I would occasionally take Advil PM, which has more Benadryl than Benadryl does.  Downside:  drowsy.  They're called SleepHammersTM in our house for a reason.

Once the symptoms started affecting me during the day, I decided to give Claritin a try, and it does seem to hold it all at bay, although their "24-hour" claim is nonsense; their 24-hour dose works for about 12 hours for me.  Also, even though the symptoms are gone, I can sort of feel them...lurking, just below the surface. 
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:36:59 PM »
Just stop breathing......  :P =D >:D :angel: :P

or use Detcord ??

(Someone had to say it.....)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »
Most allergy pills put me out or don't work.  I go straight to a kenalog (sp?) shot.  I've heard eating locally produced honey helps.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 03:46:59 PM »
I've had pretty good luck with Claritin-D for relief of symptoms, but has the side effect of making me jittery.  Regular Claritin is no better than a placebo, in my experience.

Omnaris nasal spray is also effective, but you need a prescription.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 03:47:01 PM »
Until a week or so ago, I'd never been subject to any sorts of allergies.  For some reason, this year my body began to object to all of the trees and grass having sex in my nose, and I've gotten all of the typical symptoms:  itchy/watery eyes, runny nose, itchy throat. 

Me too.  I wonder what is making this year so bad.

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »

Chris

Gaia is sad that the Gore's are divorcing ??  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »

In my case, at least, it may be at least partly my own fault; I mowed the upper field yesterday.  It was 6 feet tall in places.  And had gone to seed, of course.  After 3 hours of mowing that, my sinuses were threatening to secede.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 04:23:42 PM »
This year has been odd for me too. I usually manage with simple cetirizine and that's it, although my hayfever always initially presents in a new and interesting way (sore throat, cough etc) and it may take me a few days to figure out what it is.

This year I've been very chesty, and I've now got sinusitis with bad pain in the eyebrow/facial nerve regions. Figure it must be allergies.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »

Chris

Me three (or six or seven by this point in the thread). Though I've occasionally had mild allergy symptoms in the past, this year is the first year I've ever actually been miserable from allergies for multiple days where I actually have to medicate to get through the work day.

In my area, it's been reported that a combination of well above normal rainfall this winter after a long drought has sprung up not only an abundance of grasses and other pollen-carrying vegetation, but many varieties that would normally remain more dormant in low rain years.

That plus what we call "Sundowner winds" here, where hot air (and pollen)  blows down from the mountains to the coast, have been going on more than usual for this time of year. Luckily one of our other weather phenomena, "June Gloom" started promptly on June 1st and we've been socked in with marine layer fog, so I'm breathing easy today.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »
Actually, there's an obvious reason for me. I'm working in a forest at weekends. Saturday before last you could see the pollen in the air, and when it rained this weekend all the puddles had a yellow scum of pollen at the edges. Last week I was doing physio/hypertonic saline twice a day and coughing out more each time than I usually produce in a week.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

sanman

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 05:35:54 PM »
Most allergy pills put me out or don't work.  I go straight to a kenalog (sp?) shot.  I've heard eating locally produced honey helps.

Correct on the local honey. A local farm keeps bees to help with crop sex and each year they produce their own honey. HAs helped my wife and granddaughter quite a bit.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »
Ironically, this year has been much better than usual for me. I haven't even had to take anything in the past couple weeks.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »
I'm on my second dose of Poison Ivy.

I rode the first (back of legs) out cold turkey, but this batch is on my fingers and am soooo Benadryl buzzed I'm afraid to drive.
7-11 was a part time job.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »
Stack generic claritin and zyrtec, one in the AM one in the PM.

Include Nielmed sinus rinse AM & PM.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »
honey and/or turmeric powder
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 08:45:25 PM »
In my case, at least, it may be at least partly my own fault; I mowed the upper field yesterday.  It was 6 feet tall in places.  And had gone to seed, of course.  After 3 hours of mowing that, my sinuses were threatening to secede

you need goats! i'll have some in august available
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 08:45:58 PM »
In my case, at least, it may be at least partly my own fault; I mowed the upper field yesterday.  It was 6 feet tall in places.  And had gone to seed, of course.  After 3 hours of mowing that, my sinuses were threatening to secede

you need goats! i'll have some in august available

After the goats eat the field, you can bbq them.

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 06:22:14 AM »
Stack generic claritin and  OR zyrtec, one in the AM one in the PM.

Include Nielmed sinus rinse AM & PM.

Other than my edit, +1 on that....esp. the NeilMed rinse....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

sanman

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 07:14:44 AM »
After the goats eat the field, you can bbq them.

Chris

Yum

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »
Ate local honey for the first time ever, back in February.

I've had zero allergies so far (aside from the usual skin-related issues).  Just sayin'.  ;)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »
Other than my edit, +1 on that....esp. the NeilMed rinse....

If I wasn't clear, one of the two AM & PM.  I do zyrtec in the AM & claritin in the PM.

The have different mechanisms and are complementary.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »
Thanks.  I'm absolutely astonished at how little sleep I've had in the last 3 days/2 nights, due to the prednisone.  No more than 4-5 hours total, max.  I'll try the Claritin/Zyrtec cocktail.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »
I've had very good results with Claritin. For sneezy, itchy, watery complaints, it does the trick for me about 90% of the time. When it fails, I go for the Benadryl. Congestion is another matter. I used to rely on Nyquil for congestion, but Oregon got a new law a few years back that requires a RX for anything an effective decongestant. I refuse to pay $50-$90 for an OTC. Nyquil helped, but it isn't effective enough to warrant a Dr visit and fee. Last year I found Veramyst, thanks to my sleep doc. The only thing in 30 years that has truly stopped my congestion problems. I love it.

I use the neilmed bottle through all but about 4 months of the year, and have few allergy problems, despite living in the grass seed capital of the US.
Hi.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »
Neilmed Sinus Rinse.

It's gross.

The first two or three times were uncomfortable.

Now?  A year and a half into it....well...It's like this...

Pre-December 08, I was taking 3-4 allergy pills a day, had sinus infections, congestion, chest congestion and ear infections frequently.

Since December of 08, ZERO allergy pills, zero on the other symptoms as well.

I did manage to catch two colds twice since then.  Instead of lingering for 2-3 weeks- they were gone in 2-3 days.

Oh, and 2 in the last year and a half vs five or six colds a year, in addition to the other stuff.

The Neilmed thing works, and it's cheaper than all the pills.
One day at a time.