Author Topic: Hay fever remedy  (Read 3089 times)

Hutch

• friend
Re: Hay fever remedy
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »
Speaking of cheap...  My regular doctor couldn't see me Tuesday, and the office help suggest a doc-in-the-box.  I had never visited this one before, so I had to fill out abso-flippin'-lutely ENDLESS forms, all requesting the same damned questions.  I have just this year changed to a medical savings account/high-deductible plan, which means I pay all expenses at the time of service, no drug bennies.

I was to the "doctor", got prescribed 3 meds, picked up all three at WalGreen's, and was home within ~ 1.5 hours, and it cost a TOTAL of $93.  I was amazed.

IMHO, what we got works pretty good, even if you're "uninsured" (as I basically was for this episode)
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »
My allergist says that he and his colleagues agree - this is one of, if not the single, worst allergy seasons any of them has ever seen.

I've always suffered badly from allergies. Benadryl always has been my first line of defense.

I'm currently in year two of shots. They help, but not totally in a year like this, and none of the third generation pills (Zyrtec, Claratin, etc.) do a *expletive deleted*ing thing for me. They're worthless.

Go to your doctor and ask for a prescription of Veramyst. The *expletive deleted* is magical.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 12:49:44 AM »
hmm, steroid nose spray. you're right it works, but some of the long term side affects suck. [tinfoil] link, on how they work.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 01:17:32 AM »
Allergies have been unusually absent for me and I'm usually pretty badly affected by them.  'Course I'm not sure if its even broken 60F in the last 2 weeks.  I remember one summer camping out by my wife's aunt and uncle's place outside of Portland, OR.  Grass was tall enough to have gone to seed.  I damn near had my wife take me to the hospital it was so bad.

I loved AZ.  Aside from a week or two where the cactus flowers were going nuts I had no allergies at all there.  Now here in WA they've been, except for this year, so far, way worse.

DAMN YOU AL GORE!!! I want my global warming, and I want it NOW.  Even if it does increase my allergies.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 02:09:49 AM »
Vitamin C works pretty good for me.  No Rx.

Never tried the honey and turmeric powder, so thanks for the suggestion, tyme.  What kind of "dosage" on the turmeric powder, if you please?

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:14:11 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 03:15:33 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 01:35:46 PM »
hmm, steroid nose spray. you're right it works, but some of the long term side affects suck. [tinfoil] link, on how they work.

Like any other drug, they have their drawbacks. Their efficacy for many people, however, makes the minor risk of an adverse reaction vs significant improvement in symptoms, more than worth the risk.

One thing is that these should not be continuously long term. Stop when allergy season winds down, and every once in awhile get your doctor to switch you out to something else.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »
wasn't an option for me, had at least to sinus infections per year from ~8 to ~14. and that was what i was trying to say. ;)