Author Topic: Recommendations on extreme heat resistant boots?  (Read 5312 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Recommendations on extreme heat resistant boots?
« on: January 19, 2011, 04:11:08 PM »
Looking for a pointer in the direction of boots designed to withstand (for a few seconds) 2500 degree liquid without transferring the heat to your feet (don't know if they exist). Price is not really a concern. Also leggings, aprons, gloves, gauntlets designed for the same heat protection.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Recommendations on extreme heat resistant boots?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »
http://www.nwironworks.com/suits.htm

My first thought was gear made for people who work in metal foundries and hot glass shops. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »
i was going to suggest a fire supply store, but i wouldn't want to try my turn-out gear near that kind of heat!  maybe they have higher temperature equipment?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:39:21 PM »
http://www.nwironworks.com/suits.htm

My first thought was gear made for people who work in metal foundries and hot glass shops. 

I work on a glass furnace and it was my grandfather's witnessing an accident at a steel foundry (fifty years ago) that got me to worrying - he saw a guy crippled by a spill that went right through his leather boots.

Makatak I have one of those silver suits but I think they are only designed for radiant heat whereas I'm concerned about direct contact.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »
i was going to suggest a fire supply store, but i wouldn't want to try my turn-out gear near that kind of heat!  maybe they have higher temperature equipment?

I came across firefighter supplies while googling but their boots appeared to be rubber(?) I would assume that some large structure fires do put off that kind of heat, but I'm guessing that firefighters aren't supposed to approach close enough for their gear to be in contact with it.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »
What kind of liquid? Not that I have any kind of answer for you, I'm just being nosy. 

yea, I guess I'd start at a fire safety store and ask questions. And then there's always Grainger. They got a pretty thick catalog.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »
I work on a glass furnace and it was my grandfather's witnessing an accident at a steel foundry (fifty years ago) that got me to worrying - he saw a guy crippled by a spill that went right through his leather boots.

Makatak I have one of those silver suits but I think they are only designed for radiant heat whereas I'm concerned about direct contact.

Actually, I was only half-joking. My brief research only found items rated to 1000º. 2500º is a lot.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »
That's a lot of hot;)

They say the thorazine will kick in any minute now.  [tinfoil]

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »
Actually, I was only half-joking. My brief research only found items rated to 1000º. 2500º is a lot.

Joking or not it was appropriate. Volcano lava is a very close aproximation of what I'm trying to protect myself from.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
Welding supply shop...

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:22:27 PM »
Aluminum foundry.  At one time I peddled stuff to an XXXX facility.  To get into the production area I had to dress out which included an uncomfortable jumpsuit of something and metal leggings and metatarsals shields over some very heavy boots.

Hated those sales calls.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »
Here is a chart I stumbled upping.
http://www.mifco.com/fndsftcl.htm
and some more
http://www.mgstevens.com/safety-clothing.html
I think its more for radiant heat and splash. I don't think there is anything that will allow you to hang out in that kind of heat.
If you playing with something that hot you may want to have a friend manning the hose. A big one.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »
and some more
I think its more for radiant heat and splash. I don't think there is anything that will allow you to hang out in that kind of heat.
If you playing with something that hot you may want to have a friend manning the hose. A big one.

A BIG thank you never_retreat - that mifco catalog was what I was looking for. And YES, I would expect that even if you had some sort of Jetsons 24th century superboots, that if you had 2000 to 2500 degree glass around your feet you had BETTER be hoofing it out of the area FAST or be pretty dead pretty quick. I was thinking in terms of something that would allow me to go step, step, step, hop, hop, owwie, owwie, kick off boots with only minor injury as opposed to AIEEEEEEEEEEGH!!!!!!!!!!! CAT ON HOT TIN ROOF WITH CRIPPLING INJURY OR DEATH!!.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:25:27 PM by Stand_watie »
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:02:39 PM »
I really wish I had seen this thread sooner.

I was going to say it was probably cheaper to repent and just live a good life.  :angel:
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22:02 PM »
2500F?

Holy....   

I'm going to recommend what industry does - don't.  Use automated/remote/distance tooling.

I mean, lord.  What are you doing?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 12:41:06 AM »
Heh... We heat treated some S7 the other day... It only got cooked at 1850 for 45 minutes tho...
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 01:09:46 AM »
2500F?

Holy....   

I'm going to recommend what industry does - don't.  Use automated/remote/distance tooling.

I mean, lord.  What are you doing?

Not always an option. We cast Vitallium and work a bit with porcelain (both in that temp range) and we do it machine-side to make dental prosthesis.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 06:38:33 AM »
And I thought 1200 psi 1000* steam was tricky...  :O

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 08:30:48 AM »
I came across firefighter supplies while googling but their boots appeared to be rubber(?) I would assume that some large structure fires do put off that kind of heat, but I'm guessing that firefighters aren't supposed to approach close enough for their gear to be in contact with it.

they have a whole line of leather boots with nomex insulation here.

http://www.fire-end.com/boots2.htm

still not 2500 degree rating.

and some more

one of the thing we are always cautioned about is cooling another firefighter with the hose when he comes out of the building.  sometimes the the gear is superheated, and it will turn the water to steam which can infirtrate the gear.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

280plus

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
Now we have a recipe for steamed fireman. Yum!  =D

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »
I really, really hope I'm not the only sick and perverted individual who keeps thinking this thread is about heat-resistant boobs.

Sorry, it had to be said. I just did about my tenth double-take of the day on this one.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »
I really, really hope I'm not the only sick and perverted individual who keeps thinking this thread is about heat-resistant boobs.

Considering your recently-discussed running injury, I can understand your line of thinking.....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 10:27:41 PM »

Sorry, it had to be said. I just did about my tenth double-take of the day on this one.
Well, all I can tell you is it didn't cross my mind at all until you mentoned it. Perv...  :lol:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 09:20:10 AM »

Not only did it not cross my mind, I read your post as saying "heat resistant boots". And my thought was, "yes, that's exactly what it's about, am I missing something?"

Once I figured out what I was missing...  :laugh: