Author Topic: Apple / Motorolla Controversy  (Read 3198 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Apple / Motorolla Controversy
« on: February 07, 2011, 04:25:39 PM »
So, Motorolla's commercial for the Xoom was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBUoLYOWR8I

I really dug (digged?) the "1984" overtones, especially the oblique reference to it via the e-Book on the Xoom device.

Evidently, it's also a marketing department slam against Apple's iPad and iPod devices.  The white headphones and everyone in white jumpsuits is very stereotypical of the usual Apple iTunes-oriented commercial.

Well, I wasn't paying close enough attention to commercials back in 1984 to catch the one time that this commercial was aired.  Cut me some slack, I was 5 and a half years old. =D

1984 Apple "Macintosh" Ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsWzJo2sN4

The McWeenies are crying foul and claiming it's a ripoff.

I, being a McWeenie-hater, love it because it snuffs Apple.  And life is just a little bit better every day that Apple can be snuffed. >:D

Anyone else know that Apple put out a 1984-Orwellian video in 1984, and that the Xoom commercial was (allegedly) loosely based on it?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Apple / Motorolla Controversy
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »
Part of me also thinks this is Motorolla "getting even" for Apple dumping the Motorolla-based CPUs sometime around 2004-2005.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:53:02 PM »
I never saw the actual commercial on broadcast TV, but I have seen the commercial online at other times.  Within about 5 seconds, I knew they were making fun of Apple, and then about 2 seconds later realized they were also making fun of Apple's 1984 commercial.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »
Anyone else know that Apple put out a 1984-Orwellian video in 1984, and that the Xoom commercial was (allegedly) loosely based on it?

Pffff!  Yes.  It's a classic. 

First comment: "Apple users can't see the commercial, it's in flash. ;)"   

=D =D =D
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 05:06:01 PM »
It's not a ripoff.  It's a direct, outright jab.  It's called satire.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
Why is apple calling foul?

Its not like their one commercial campaign wasn't outright insulting windows...  ;/

Allis fair in war and advertising
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:33:25 PM »
Why is apple calling foul?

Its not like their one commercial campaign wasn't outright insulting windows...  ;/

Allis fair in war and advertising

It wouldn't have been insulting Windows in 1984.  It would have been insulting MSDOS two-point-something.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 06:05:29 PM »
The McWeenies are crying foul and claiming it's a ripoff.

I, being a McWeenie-hater, love it because it snuffs Apple.  And life is just a little bit better every day that Apple can be snuffed. >:D

Lame. Unless Apple owns the rights to 1984 (and that wouldn't be surprising) they have no claim to it, and can't complain if someone turns it back against them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »
It wouldn't have been insulting Windows in 1984.  It would have been insulting MSDOS two-point-something.

Actually, I was talking about the campaign from a cuple years ago with... Zack ? Something or other (actor, in the last die har movie) and nerdy bald guy.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »
Justin Long and John Hodgeman, I think.

OK, I looked it up, his name is Hodgman and he is not bald. He actually looks and speaks exactly like a friend of mine.  

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
Lame. Unless Apple owns the rights to 1984 (and that wouldn't be surprising) they have no claim to it, and can't complain if someone turns it back against them.

Gina Rosenblum owns the copyright to 1984 until 2044.

She got her knickers in a wad over the use of the 1984 Apple video in mash-ups against Hillary during the 2008 election.  She threatened, in 2008, to sue the guy who made the youtube mash-up that contained the Apple 1984 video footage.  Though she neglected for 24 years to sue Apple. ;/

Partisan lawsuit engineering. [barf]

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1809023/posts

The youtube mash-up in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h3G-lMZxjo
--Lysander Spooner

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 06:22:39 PM »
Justin Long and John Hodgeman, I think.

OK, I looked it up, his name is Hodgman and he is not bald. He actually looks and speaks exactly like a friend of mine.  

Justin long...  :facepalm: I should have known that.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
To be fair, the point of the original Apple 1984'ish commercial was that the sort of hedgemony portrayed was a bad thing. Hate Apple, but it's silly to use accusations that are not accurate.

As for the Motorola commercial, it was great and I look forward to the Android tablets.

Although really, Apple sells popular products and has great marketing (even if I don't care for them) while Google is busy invading my privacy and gathering/storing info on me at every turn so I'm not sure I want to see Apple fail...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 06:55:14 PM »
To be fair, the point of the original Apple 1984'ish commercial was that the sort of hedgemony portrayed was a bad thing. Hate Apple, but it's silly to use accusations that are not accurate.

Wait, what? The Apple commercial was about Apple being non-conformist. I don't think anyone's ever been confused about that. The point of the new Xoom commercial is that Apple is the new conformity. Right?

Also, it's hegemony.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »
More funny that everything Apple's ever done was just more successful marketing, aided with a veneer of good industrial design... of existing products.

Don't get me wrong, they have their share of innovations, but so does any large tech company that's been in business that long.

The revolutionary ones they're really known for... none of them are "theirs".

Invent the PC? Nope.
Invent the Mouse/GUI? Nope.
Invent the MP3 Player? Not even close.
Tablet? Nope...

Apple HAS done wonders for promoting these technologies, in part by polishing them so they attained mass acceptance. However, the cult-status that Apple has which maintains they're somehow special beyond this feat is... irritating. And honestly, that makes my beef not with Apple, but their fans.

Kind of like how Disney managed to co-opt what are essentially a bunch of public domain fairy tales and legends etc. (probably the most original was Bambi... they produced that only 22 years after the Austrian book came out, and possibly actually paid the author something...) Wondrous animation, artwork, sound... but limited originality. Yet they're a tour de force.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 09:18:47 PM »
Wait, what? The Apple commercial was about Apple being non-conformist. I don't think anyone's ever been confused about that. The point of the new Xoom commercial is that Apple is the new conformity. Right?

Also, it's hegemony.

Typing on my phone while distracted, I misunderstood something Red wrote. Also, thank you Captain Spellcheck.  :P

I also agree with AJ: I have no real issue with Apple, just the fan boys.

So for the record, is it Apple themselves who are publicly objecting to this commercial, or just some fan boys on a blog whining?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »

Apple HAS done wonders for promoting these technologies, in part by polishing them so they attained mass acceptance. However, the cult-status that Apple has which maintains they're somehow special beyond this feat is... irritating. And honestly, that makes my beef not with Apple, but their fans.

Kind of like how Disney managed to co-opt what are essentially a bunch of public domain fairy tales and legends etc. (probably the most original was Bambi... they produced that only 22 years after the Austrian book came out, and possibly actually paid the author something...) Wondrous animation, artwork, sound... but limited originality. Yet they're a tour de force.

Being an apple user (not fanboy), you can't help but notice that Apple hasn't just used its industrial edge...it's grown exponentially against its competitors over the last ten years.  It did that, IMO, by making products out of those technologies that work reliably and are simple to use.  The apple products tended to be plug and play, versus the dreaded "plug and pray" with most PC products during that time.  To go way back, compare using an early 90's Macintosh to a PC....no contest there for the average user.

In 2011, and I'm not so sure they're as relatively simple and reliable.  But I can sure see why they grew so much against the competition.

My own experience with apple has been a G4 macbook, which lasted from 2004 without a single hardware or OS problem, and still works today (although slowly, which is why I bought a macbook pro six months ago), and now an iphone. Still waiting to see if the new macbook does as well without the motorola parts.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »
Being an apple user (not fanboy), you can't help but notice that Apple hasn't just used its industrial edge...it's grown exponentially against its competitors over the last ten years.  It did that, IMO, by making products out of those technologies that work reliably and are simple to use.  The apple products tended to be plug and play, versus the dreaded "plug and pray" with most PC products during that time.  To go way back, compare using an early 90's Macintosh to a PC....no contest there for the average user.

In 2011, and I'm not so sure they're as relatively simple and reliable.  But I can sure see why they grew so much against the competition.

My own experience with apple has been a G4 macbook, which lasted from 2004 without a single hardware or OS problem, and still works today (although slowly, which is why I bought a macbook pro six months ago), and now an iphone. Still waiting to see if the new macbook does as well without the motorola parts.

The intel based macs are every bit as reliable in my experience. I have one of the early intel iMacs and it's still going strong. The intel based MBPs seem to be reliable as well, although they run hot.

Also, responding to the above youtube comment about Flash... the flash thing is an iOS only issue... flash can and does work just fine on OS X.

I use both a Mac and a Windows-based PC, and each have their uses. The bashing on both sides irritates me.

What irritates me even more are the people who give me *expletive deleted*it for spending "too much" on Mac hardware.

I don't particularly have a problem with spending more. Especially since my 1st gen intel iMac has now outlasted any PC I've ever owned. Seems like my "stupid" investment worked out pretty well.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »
Which is better, 9mm or .45?

I remember distinctly the 1984 ad. It's definitely a classic.

The human robots in the Motorolla ad look more like the sperm in Woody Allen's "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex" movie. There isn't the sense of dreariness that was in the Apple ad.

I give it two thumbs down.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
De Selby and James Fitzer are examples of what Apple users should be. They buy what they like based on price/performance/feature set that works for them.

What I don't think a lot of the "regular" Apple users get is how irritating the cultists are who walk around smug with a chip on their shoulder that being an Apple user is somehow connected to being "special". That's the mind-blowingly infuriating part. The subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, implication I'm ignorant or sheep, because I don't use Apple like they do.

And then in the predictable backlash against that, the regular MYOB Apple users feel targeted, and the whole thing gets polarized.
I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »
De Selby and James Fitzer are examples of what Apple users should be. They buy what they like based on price/performance/feature set that works for them.

What I don't think a lot of the "regular" Apple users get is how irritating the cultists are who walk around smug with a chip on their shoulder that being an Apple user is somehow connected to being "special". That's the mind-blowingly infuriating part. The subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, implication I'm ignorant or sheep, because I don't use Apple like they do.

And then in the predictable backlash against that, the regular MYOB Apple users feel targeted, and the whole thing gets polarized.

Agreed. People should buy what A.) does what they need, and B.) Fits within their budget.

Past that, they should leave everyone else alone. I hate mindless apple Fanboi-ism as much as anyone. Prime example: the apple rep who is dealing with us for our upcoming rollout, trying to get us to replace some of our existing linux infrastructure with mac servers.

Me: "Why would I do that: you guys are discontinuing the XServe, and we have no room in my server room for a bunch of mac pros. And the mini server isn't robust enough"

He tried to respond with a line of the "mac just works" bullshit.

I said "Well, show me a mac with redundant power supplies and a 1u form factor that can run Rivendell, that I don't have to purchase before January 31st because it's being discontinued, and I'll buy it. Until then, we should keep our conversation oriented towards reality."
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 12:47:45 PM »

Change Apple to Linux and you can reuse this post.

I use Apple products and Linux (and Windows, etc).  They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 01:19:54 PM »
Fanbois of any kind are annoying. *nix has a higher % of users who are true believers, but Apple has a far larger number so they tend to get the backlash.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 02:49:35 PM »
Fanbois of any kind are annoying. *nix has a higher % of users who are true believers, but Apple has a far larger number so they tend to get the backlash.
In defense of *nix fanbois, they tend to become that way after using some flavor of *nix to do things Windows or Mac can't do, or at least couldn't do till recently. 

But yeah, the Linux fanbois who've never run a production system on ANY OS are a bit annoying.  I'll respect their opinion on the subject after they've had a few thousand (or tens of thousands) users rely on systems they build and after they have to meet SLAs at the same time.  Until then, they're just hobbyists with an opinion. ;)

Chris

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »
This discussion is no different than ones I listened to for decades about cameras. There were the Nikon fans, the Leica fans, the Canon fans, the Hasselblad fans, etc. Everyone was adamant that theirs was the best because...

When they'd ask me what I, as a professional, thought, I'd say that I bought the one I could get for the best price, all things being relatively equal. The cameras are tools, not lovers.

I get irritated at having to use both a Mac and a PC because there are some things that one platform can do that the other won't.

I also get irritated with Linux fans because I have no idea what they're talking about. ;)