Author Topic: Ebola outbreak in Guinea kills 59, may have spread to Sierra Leone  (Read 2299 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/22/us-guinea-ebola-idUSBREA2L0MI20140322

Let's hope they can knock it out. Given how interconnected the world is and how thin the depth of treatments available, a pandemic is one of the few realistic tikiwiki scenarios.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Ebola outbreak in Guinea kills 59, may have spread to Sierra Leone
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
Wonderful. Just what the world needs...more Ebola.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:07:46 PM »
Wonderful. Just what the world needs...more Ebola.

Thankfully it's so lethal (and so fast) that it generally burns itself out before it can spread too far. If it ever mutates (or is engineered) to have a long asymptomatic incubation period and air borne communication then we're in serious trouble.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:40:36 PM »
Thankfully it's so lethal (and so fast) that it generally burns itself out before it can spread too far. If it ever mutates (or is engineered) to have a long asymptomatic incubation period and air borne communication then we're in serious trouble.

This is one of the few books that's ever given me *expletive deleted*ing nightmares.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/042510687X/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?pc_redir=1395704287

I don't care if this will most likely come to nothing. It still gives me the heebie jeebies.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »
The Hot Zone scared the hell out of me.  I was commuting from Herndon to Tyson's Corner on the Dulles toll road, right past the monkey house in Reston where and when an outbreak occurred.  I never knew it until I read the book.  <shiver>
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »
The Hot Zone scared the hell out of me.  I was commuting from Herndon to Tyson's Corner on the Dulles toll road, right past the monkey house in Reston where and when an outbreak occurred.  I never knew it until I read the book.  <shiver>

Wasn't the Reston incident just monkeys, and a non-human communicable form?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »
Wait! It was the Hot Zone! *shudder*

And just for poops and giggles my boss used to work in that lab (well, not that exact lab. She worked in a diffrent building, but in the same complex)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »

so far we've been lucky  its always hit out in the sticks.  we ever get an urban outbreak we have a problem.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Ebola outbreak in Guinea kills 59, may have spread to Sierra Leone
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 08:41:11 PM »
Dont forget the bubonic plague in the prairie dog population.  A few people die each year from that.  One mutation or outbreak and we will party like its 1348.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 08:48:41 PM »
thats why i like where i live.  just isolated enough
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »
I work in Reston.

Chris

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »

Wasn't that one Rainbow Six?  Been a long time since I've read Clancy,  but wasn't that one Hippies threatening the world with weaponized Ebola?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
so far we've been lucky  its always hit out in the sticks.  we ever get an urban outbreak we have a problem.

Good thing we have strict immigration controls so that someone infected with a communicable disease doesn't get to come here and just wander around in public.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 09:01:59 PM »
someone sneaking in doesn't scare me as bad as one infected person coming outa africa changing flights in rome and london then here.  all those potentially infected folks on other flights going in all directions could be a real day spoiler.  and casualties would not be limited to folks actually infected.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »
Good thing we have strict immigration controls so that someone infected with a communicable disease doesn't get to come here and just wander around in public.

Where YOU from?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 09:11:27 PM »
Where YOU from?

=D

It doesn't even have to be an apocolypse level plague. We've seen a huge increase in things like Pertussis (whooping cough) measels and the like. Not all of it is due to the anti-vaccine tards.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 09:50:31 PM »
Looks like someone brought it to Canada:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26726745
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 10:06:08 PM »
=D

It doesn't even have to be an apocolypse level plague. We've seen a huge increase in things like Pertussis (whooping cough) measels and the like. Not all of it is due to the anti-vaccine tards.

Not to mention how people lose their *expletive deleted*it over what turns out to be fairly ineffectual diseases...the response to a lethal outbreak is going to be interesting.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Re: Ebola outbreak in Guinea kills 59, may have spread to Sierra Leone
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 11:14:06 PM »
Dont forget the bubonic plague in the prairie dog population.  A few people die each year from that.  One mutation or outbreak and we will party like its 1348.

Lot of evidence that may not have been Yersinia Pestins.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »
I read a text written by a former soviet bioweapons scientist - it's scary what's already out there, in labs and in warheads.   =|

Found it!  http://www.amazon.com/Biohazard-Chilling-Largest-Biological-World--Told/dp/0385334966/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395718078&sr=1-1

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 11:34:03 PM »
Looks like someone brought it to Canada:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26726745

From this article:
Canadian man in hospital with Ebola-like virus
An electron microscope image of the Ebola virus
The Ebola virus, shown in an image released by US health officials, is just one of the possible diagnoses
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Virus in Guinea capital not Ebola
A man is in hospital in Canada with symptoms of a haemorrhagic fever resembling the Ebola virus, a health official has said.

The man had recently returned from Liberia in the west African region, currently suffering a deadly outbreak of an unidentified haemorrhagic fever.

He is in isolation in critical condition in Saskatoon, the largest city in Saskatchewan province.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
From this article:
That is...unfortunate.

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 08:37:15 AM »
shut_down_everything.gif
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"