Author Topic: The job market is still sucky for new lawyers  (Read 7304 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The job market is still sucky for new lawyers
« on: June 17, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/business/dealbook/an-expensive-law-degree-and-no-place-to-use-it.html

How are you going to pay off tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in college debt without a high-paying job as a lawyer?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The job market is still sucky for new lawyers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »
What? We've achieved Peak Shylock? I didn't think that was possible.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 03:58:08 PM »
I'm not seeing a problem here.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 05:13:50 PM »
But can't you use that knowledge in other ways independently from a private practice?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/business/dealbook/an-expensive-law-degree-and-no-place-to-use-it.html

How are you going to pay off tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in college debt without a high-paying job as a lawyer?

sex work?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/89pDr2F.jpg

Be careful what you wish for... If they can't find work with established firms, out of desperation they will:

- Apply the "Legal Mindset" into whatever other fields or careers they eventually find themselves in.

- Start "Debt Collection Agencies". Probably by buying out the worst/oldest/unverified "paper" out there and staffing a call center full of bums and ex-convicts.

- Become professional lawsuit chasers with themselves as the plaintiff. Slipping on sidewalks etc.

- Run for political office.

:P
I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 05:51:54 PM »
Unemployed lawyers means a rise in crime rate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 03:16:07 PM »
Be careful what you wish for... If they can't find work with established firms, out of desperation they will:

- Apply the "Legal Mindset" into whatever other fields or careers they eventually find themselves in.

- Start "Debt Collection Agencies". Probably by buying out the worst/oldest/unverified "paper" out there and staffing a call center full of bums and ex-convicts.

- Become professional lawsuit chasers with themselves as the plaintiff. Slipping on sidewalks etc.

- Run for political office.

:P

- Find a drug with an unusual side effect which affected more than a dozen people and start a class action suit against the Mfrs.  Advertise on inexpensive nighttime TV for more potential victims.  Line up compliant Drs. who will swear to the most horrible effects.  Make sure the side effect blurbs have a misplaced or missing comma so that claimants can say they were improperly advised as to those side effects.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
Problem is that too many people go into law school thinking they get to come out of the other side and walk into a six figure income.  So a lot max out the loans, live a kife of luxury, buying cars, and making choices thinking that money won't be an issue.   Reality is that rarely happened back in the 90s when I graduated,  and it happens even less now. A lot of grunt work the big firms used to pay associates to do has been eliminated by technology.  Book research that took hours or days can be done by computer in hours.  Basic document drafting...wills, power of attorney, etc., is now a Word document that the printer spits ouf in 15 minutes.  The bread and butter of small local firms used to on be wills, estates, real estate transactions,  and thanks to online resources, most people can do simple law work on their own.

Yes, you can still make a good living as a lawyer.  May not get rich, but you can do alright.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 08:22:55 PM »
The information here and elsewhere about how college graduates come out of college with some sort of degree, big debt and expecting six figured employment while resting with their feet up on the desk is getting rather endemic.  That's why whenever I talk to young people who are contemplating college I tell 'em to go to trade school and learn how to do some dirty work that will always be around like turd hurding, tin knocking, electrical, etc etc.  I told my kids and grandkids to learn a trade and thumb their noses at college.  They are all doing quite well as printers, odd jobbers/pickin'/internet sales, journeyman insulator/tin knocker/welder and the 2nd youngest just got to work learning plumbing.  The best part is they earned money while they learned rather than got in debt and loafing at a school for 4 or 6 years.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 11:03:39 PM »
. . . A lot of grunt work the big firms used to pay associates to do has been eliminated by technology . . .
You mean an internet connection to an office staffed with Indian law students working for 100 rupees an hour in Bombay?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 08:47:24 AM »
You mean an internet connection to an office staffed with Indian law students working for 100 rupees an hour in Bombay?
This just gave me a terrible thought.  What if our barely functional legal code is actually outsourced to be written by the same companies who write so much barely functional source code?

Then I realized that the special interests who buy our laws would never offshore such an important job. Too risky, and it would be false economy to spend so much money lobbying for sub-par exceptions and special treatment.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »
:Ned holds out his hat and smiles at his cardboard sign:

Legal Evaluations and Professional Insight; $450 an hour.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 12:07:56 PM »
A lot of grunt work the big firms used to pay associates to do has been eliminated by technology. 

Woohoo! I remember how one of my first lawfirm tasks was to do manual deposition indexing (with a highlighter and typing indexes into an Excel spreadsheet) and preparing exhibits out of boxes and boxes of paper discovery documents.   This was as the local defense firm for the Dalkon Shield litigation.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
We used to have comments about Union workers whose job could be replaced by robots.  What comments do we have for lawyers whose job is done by a computer? 

The answer is obvious.  Make it illegal for computers to do legal work.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 12:37:27 PM »
On Isle Royale, our least visited National Park, forest fire suppression has caused so much overgrowth that the tick population has exploded.

The moose on Isle Royale are often not very healthy due to the hundreds of thousands of the parasites feeding off each moose.

A healthy moose can survive the onslaught of typical tick populations but with the overabundance of ticks even healthy moose will die off in the winter due to being so weakened all spring, summer and fall by the relentlessness of the parasites.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 01:37:23 PM »
We used to have comments about Union workers whose job could be replaced by robots.  What comments do we have for lawyers whose job is done by a computer? 

The answer is obvious.  Make it illegal for computers to do legal work.

I guess I should have said that technology has made grunt work so easy that (a) firms don't waste money paying associates to do it (like research and memo writing on issues of law) and (b) a lot of basic law work is now available as a form so people can do it pro see instead of paying an attorney to do it.

Computers don't do the work...yet.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »
On Isle Royale, our least visited National Park, forest fire suppression has caused so much overgrowth that the tick population has exploded.

The moose on Isle Royale are often not very healthy due to the hundreds of thousands of the parasites feeding off each moose.

A healthy moose can survive the onslaught of typical tick populations but with the overabundance of ticks even healthy moose will die off in the winter due to being so weakened all spring, summer and fall by the relentlessness of the parasites.

So we should allow periodic natural lawyer fires to happen, to weed out the weak.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:17:26 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »
So we should allow periodic natural lawyer fires to happen, to week out the weak.

Managed hunts to cull the weak and/or scrofulous. Selling tag draws could probably seriously reduce the national debt.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 06:13:17 PM »
Lawyers are like cops, we bitch and moan about them until we really need one  :P
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 09:10:33 PM »
Lawyers are like cops, we bitch and moan about them until we really need one  :P
Then we bitch and moan afterward.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 10:13:28 PM »

The need for lawyers exist primarily because of all the damn lawyers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 11:49:49 AM »
The need for lawyers exist primarily because of all the damn lawyers.
Then we bitch and moan afterward.

I can assure you no one has a better appreciation for how terrible lawyers can be than those that have to interact with them daily... other lawyers.   :P

But hey, isn't this particular forum all about those 4% exceptional in general?
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.