Author Topic: Selling cheap used vehicles  (Read 2434 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Selling cheap used vehicles
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 01:12:58 AM »
Several times I've tried to sell my 1990 E-150. Between motor and tranny replacement and other sundries I probably have sunk $8K into it over the past 6-7 years. Beefed up the motor internally for hauling, installed a tranny cooler, replaced all the springs and beefed those up too, brakes, 3" low restriction exhaust system, top o' the line Goodyears all around, etc etc. All I asked the first time was $3,000. I got offered $1500, I laughed at the guy.  Recently I tried it in the paper at $2500, not one call. People just don't get it. Yes, it's a little beat cosmetically but you won't find a stronger running truck. Ah well, screw 'em!  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 04:40:16 AM »
Everyone wants something nice for nothing. I'm actually going to miss having a beater truck around when I need to cut a load of firewood or when I shoot a deer.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 06:29:13 AM »
280plus:

A little over $1000/year is cheap compared to payments.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 10:15:03 AM »
Excellent point. I don't pay much in propery taxes on it either. That's kinda why I keep it around. Plus it's fun to drive, it makes that nifty souped up motor sound when I open it up.  I always did like that sound. grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 10:44:12 AM »
A lot of people will trade cars because "this one's gonna start costing me too much in repairs", but they don't compare the repair costs to a new car payment. 

I have a good friend that's a perfect example.  She had a super nice '99 T-Bird.  By nice I mean really nice.  Not a dent or ding on it, beautiful interior, well-maintained, exceptionally well equipped, and very few miles for the age.  And it was paid for.  She had one engine repair - a faulty MAF - that cost several hundred dollars.  She freaked out thinking that it was a harbinger of other things.  Her dad, an old-school "trade it while it's worth something" type also waded into the fray and started stirring the gotta-trade-it-now pot.  As a result she had the T-Bird repaired then traded it that very day.  She went from the car that she loved to an extreeeeeemly plain jane, small, and former-rental, Mitsubishi SUV (Outland?) ... plus a shiny new $280 car payment. 

Although she has since done nothing but gripe and moan about how much nicer her T-Bird was, she is still thoroughly convinced that she is better off financially because of the trade.  Never mind that she could have kept the T-Bird and done several thou' in repairs a year for the same money as she's spending in car payments on less vehicle.  I even set down with her and had her do the math one day.  No dice.  Even cold, hard numbers can't overcome a lifetime of poor financial conditioning.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 07:38:24 PM »
Really?

Any S-10 of that body style has cancer here in Iowa because of all the salt in the winter months.

You're saying that to a Wisconsin resident with his own S-10.  Mine's cancer free, knock on wood, but I rinse the road salt off once or twice a week religiously.  I don't want it to end up looking like yours.  I've seen (and purchased) better-looking $400 vehicles. If the exterior is so poorly maintained, why would a potential buyer want to go any further?

G-98
I never got back to you on this, my brother had the truck before me and he never washed it at all, pretty typical of a lot of folks that drive gravel roads a lot here. When he owned the truck he was dating a girl that lived out in the middle of the sticks, then he went to college and parked the truck on the street where it was constantly splashed all winter with salty slush.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 07:57:56 PM »
Oh, trust me, this last winter was no cakewalk with respect to the salt.  I used to cringe when I lived beachside in Florida.  When the sea breezes blew onshore, I would see a layer of sea salt on my windshield and top surfaces of my S-10 and my wife's Elantra.  I washed each vehicle twice a week, and even added a little WD-40 to the rinse water, hoping it would find its way to door jambs, hood hinges, etc.

After being away from Wisconsin nigh unto 20 years, I'd forgotten how heavily the county dumps salt onto the roadways.  Not only that, but my driveway has a serious grade to it, and I found myself buying 40 pound bags of salt crystals not just for the water softener, but the driveway, too. So both vehicles were getting hit by salt again, this time from the ground up, instead of the top down. 

I had the S-10 up on jack stands last week, to rotate the tires, re-pack, and tighten the front wheel bearings.  While I was underneath, I hit the crossmembers, front and rear sway bars, frame stiffener box, rear axle, hop shock mount, tie rods, drag link, and damned near everything else I could with 3M Rust Converter after wire brushing everything. The sheet metal on the bodywork is really thin compared to the stuff on my '53 Chevy 3600 pickup, but looks good from both sides, so maybe GM did a good job with galvanizing and priming this time around.  Regardless, I keep an eye out, if cancer's going to strike my S-10, it'll have to be through my preventive maintenance routine. 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 08:01:23 PM »
Nice looking truck G98.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!