Author Topic: Latest addition to my budding switchblade collection  (Read 4780 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Latest addition to my budding switchblade collection
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:21:35 PM »
On Tuesday I received my Frank Beltrame 2011 limited edition Damascus blade swinguard. It's #5 of 75 limited edition knives that Beltrame will make for 2011, and has faux ivory scales (grips).  Frank Beltrame is a very well-known maker of switchblades in Italy.

The pattern on the Damascus blade is very subtle. With my old eyes, I need to use a magnifying glass to see the really fine lines in the pattern, and the light has to be hitting it just right. It's not as strong a pattern as another one I saw posted on a switchblade forum. I had to light it separately to get the lines to stand out, and then paste it into the photo with Photoshop.

I'd really love to have the bolsters either chemically etched or etched with a tool to give them the same finish and pattern as that on the swinguard. I think it would give the knife a more antique look if I could get that done.

Anyway, here it is:

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Latest addition to my budding switchblade collection
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »
Very nice, you're getting a nice collections of pimp stickers.  5 more and and you will have the Joe Conforte collection. :laugh:
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:09:35 PM »
I goofed around once with chemical etching when I was a bit younger.
Fun stuff.

Note:   If you use Ferric Chloride,  make a small, very diluted test batch, and test it on an inconspicuous part of the blade or guard of a cheaper knife.

I'd be really hesitant to chemically etch a knife that nice unless I was positive of the results.

PS:  that's a beaut.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
I've read a bit on ferric chloride etching, Pharmacology. I certainly wouldn't do it to the bolsters on this knife. I'd test with some others, just as you suggest, and then buy some extra bolsters from the maker if I thought it would work.

The swing guard is actually Damascus as well, so what looks like shallow engraving is really the layers of metal. I think the stainless could possibly be engraved to simulate it. Don't know for sure, though, and won't unless I try.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:58:33 PM »
I've read a bit on ferric chloride etching, Pharmacology. I certainly wouldn't do it to the bolsters on this knife. I'd test with some others, just as you suggest, and then buy some extra bolsters from the maker if I thought it would work.

The swing guard is actually Damascus as well, so what looks like shallow engraving is really the layers of metal. I think the stainless could possibly be engraved to simulate it. Don't know for sure, though, and won't unless I try.

So its a real damascus blade not an etched one?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »
Yes, it's real Damascus. When I mentioned on a knife forum the difference between the pattern in my blade and the more pronounced pattern in the blade on another limited edition model, I was told that the knife makers in Italy buy from a limited number of sources. It's likely that the steel for mine came from a different maker. The reason the lines are so fine in mine compared to the other blade is that there's more layers of steel in mine, so the pattern becomes more uniform as the grinding goes from layer to layer.

Anyway, that's what I was told. I've seen some really wild Damascus patterns. I wasn't expecting one so subdued.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:56:28 PM »
I've read a bit on ferric chloride etching, Pharmacology. I certainly wouldn't do it to the bolsters on this knife. I'd test with some others, just as you suggest, and then buy some extra bolsters from the maker if I thought it would work.  The swing guard is actually Damascus as well, so what looks like shallow engraving is really the layers of metal. I think the stainless could possibly be engraved to simulate it. Don't know for sure, though, and won't unless I try.

Yeah, I the etching I did was on japanese style folded steel, which behaves similarly to pattern welded steel.
I, however, wasn't so careful, and turned a spot of steel nearly black.  :facepalm:

Much cursing and polishing later, it looked OK.

But yeah, there are tons of DIY etching processes out there.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:07:17 AM »
Yes, it's real Damascus. When I mentioned on a knife forum the difference between the pattern in my blade and the more pronounced pattern in the blade on another limited edition model, I was told that the knife makers in Italy buy from a limited number of sources. It's likely that the steel for mine came from a different maker. The reason the lines are so fine in mine compared to the other blade is that there's more layers of steel in mine, so the pattern becomes more uniform as the grinding goes from layer to layer.

Anyway, that's what I was told. I've seen some really wild Damascus patterns. I wasn't expecting one so subdued.

Very cool! I've been Jonsing for a Damacus hunting knife but they don't give them away. I'd like to have something like this.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 12:18:08 AM »
How much did you have to pay for that knife? =)
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 12:39:34 AM »
That's a beautiful knife, Charby, but that price tag...ouch!

Viking, the knife was $250. Pretty reasonable compared to a lot of knives I've seen. (Like the one Charby is lusting over).

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:25:28 AM »

the style of the knife (shape/grind of the blade) will change the pattern as well.  i would think that thinner layers of steel would make a better blade, if not as drammatic a finish.

btw, nice purchase!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »
That's a beautiful knife, Charby, but that price tag...ouch!

Viking, the knife was $250. Pretty reasonable compared to a lot of knives I've seen. (Like the one Charby is lusting over).
Yep, but still a bit too much for me at the moment =). Not to mention it's illegal to import them here :angel:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »
Not to mention it's illegal to import them here

They're legal to buy, sell and possess in AL. They're also legal to carry, as long as the blade is 4 1/2" (or is it 3 12"?).

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
They're legal to buy, sell and possess in AL. They're also legal to carry, as long as the blade is 4 1/2" (or is it 3 12"?).
Here, you can only import them if you have a permit from the police, for "collecting". Illegal to carry, and illegal to possess if you are under 21. Sure would be nice though =). Same for balisongs. Should've bought a Benchmade model 42 when I had the chance...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 11:56:19 AM »
Nice knife, monkeyleg!  Great photo, and great photo-doctoring!

I was tempted to get an inexpensive balisong just to see if I could manipulate it one-handed with my arthritic hands.  But I figured it would be like me buying a keyboard instrument.

I can still touch-type pretty good, but that's something I do every day.  But too often, when I try to do some fine manipulation, my fingers don't work the way I expect them to.

Anyone with experience with this kind of problem?  Would they be suitable for someone handicapped in this way?  Or is it just a case of try it and see?

I've seen vidoes of artful expert manipulation of them, and to me it is as fascinating and beautiful as a ballet.  All I expect to be able to do is open it quickly with one hand.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:10:06 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 12:23:06 PM »
Here, you can only import them if you have a permit from the police, for "collecting". Illegal to carry, and illegal to possess if you are under 21. Sure would be nice though =). Same for balisongs. Should've bought a Benchmade model 42 when I had the chance...

Any number of normal locking blade knives can be opened instantly. They'll try to get you on owning a "gravity knife" in their near infinite zeal to retain the ability to prosecute anyone who can produce the scary "snap" of a knife opening, however, unless you're seen actually doing it, it's pretty easy to tension a quality folder that has an accessible pivot nut just right so you can whip it open as a gravity knife, but it's not painfully obvious it's one either.

If you're upset about the ability to collect switchblades and balisongs, I feel for you.

If you're moaning about the utility of not being able to have a switchblade/balisong for EDC, then I say it's no great loss. A properly tensioned lockblade knife that you can flick open is probably better. For instance, take my Emerson/Benchmade Super CQC7. (made back when they were still working together...) It's been my EDC blade going on 15 years now.

http://youtu.be/oLb06NuGFa4

Apologies for the backdrop. I sit next to the "box storage cubicle" at work. I don't complain though, I'm the only employee in the company who dosen't have a management office who's got my own window, and it's very private back here. And no, the cut on my arm isn't from poor knife handling. I got that rescuing our new kitten from the top of the TV. I was only able to grab her one-handed and she didn't feel very secure, so dug in her claws.  =D

It wouldn't be real good for the edge, but I could hammer the damn thing into the side of a cliff as a rock climbing piton or into a tree trunk as a foot-peg if I had to. Not many switchblades would survive that kind of abuse.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:54:00 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
Well, I got bit by the bug, and bad. I have another one on the way.

It can't be used for rock climbing and won't cut through logs. It's just fer lookin' through.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
It's just fer lookin' through.

fistful likes.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
That's not a knife

THATS's a knife.

=D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 11:21:34 PM »
My junk, free-to-me switchblade is a decent letter-opener.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 01:38:29 AM »
Any number of normal locking blade knives can be opened instantly. They'll try to get you on owning a "gravity knife" in their near infinite zeal to retain the ability to prosecute anyone who can produce the scary "snap" of a knife opening, however, unless you're seen actually doing it, it's pretty easy to tension a quality folder that has an accessible pivot nut just right so you can whip it open as a gravity knife, but it's not painfully obvious it's one either.

If you're upset about the ability to collect switchblades and balisongs, I feel for you.

If you're moaning about the utility of not being able to have a switchblade/balisong for EDC, then I say it's no great loss. A properly tensioned lockblade knife that you can flick open is probably better. For instance, take my Emerson/Benchmade Super CQC7. (made back when they were still working together...) It's been my EDC blade going on 15 years now.

http://youtu.be/oLb06NuGFa4

Apologies for the backdrop. I sit next to the "box storage cubicle" at work. I don't complain though, I'm the only employee in the company who dosen't have a management office who's got my own window, and it's very private back here. And no, the cut on my arm isn't from poor knife handling. I got that rescuing our new kitten from the top of the TV. I was only able to grab her one-handed and she didn't feel very secure, so dug in her claws.  =D

It wouldn't be real good for the edge, but I could hammer the damn thing into the side of a cliff as a rock climbing piton or into a tree trunk as a foot-peg if I had to. Not many switchblades would survive that kind of abuse.
Not upset really, even if possible I probably wouldn't carry one, but I'd like a good quality balisong to play with =). For carry, I've got a Spyderco Persistence =).