Author Topic: Egypt and Libya embassy attacks  (Read 46224 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Egypt and Libya embassy attacks
« Reply #250 on: September 16, 2012, 11:26:04 PM »
So let me get this straight - no one disputes that the US helped Mubarak and Ghaddaffi to torture their opponents, but we still presume that the cartoons and videos are the only drivers of this anger???

Well, we presume that if they really disliked Mubarak & Kadaffy Duck, they would have rioted against, uh, Mubarak & Kadaffy instead of some cartoons.

We are not responsible for their misplaced priorities. 

Middle eastern despots are not getting help from us in the torture department.  They got that one down pretty well.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #251 on: September 16, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »
EDIT.   Oooooops
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #252 on: September 17, 2012, 12:36:15 AM »
Well, we presume that if they really disliked Mubarak & Kadaffy Duck, they would have rioted against, uh, Mubarak & Kadaffy instead of some cartoons.

You might remember these two were overthrown. Sadly only one suffered the proper punishment he deserved.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2012, 08:07:45 AM »
So let me get this straight - no one disputes that the US helped Mubarak and Ghaddaffi to torture their opponents, but we still presume that the cartoons and videos are the only drivers of this anger???

Wow.

It's tremendous irony that folks here have called for nuking their cities and wiping out millions of people over killings of US personnel, but cannot seem to imagine that Arabs might feel the same way over US assistance in torture and killing over there.

On the other hand, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the results of the elections and response to new "found" freedoms the folks in the ME are beginning to enjoy.

At this point I would like to see what the case is for the amount of aid Egypt receives, same for the Palestinians and the rest of the region.

I say lets disengage our military commitments and faze out all foreign aid to the region. We can maintain our close relations with Israel but I'm not sure they "need" foreign aid.

At the same time I say we start to develop and exploit our untapped oil resources here in this hemisphere.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:17:31 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #254 on: September 17, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
Islam got along fine without oil for 1400 years.

There is no need for oil in Islam.

Bush could have initiated a Manhattan Project for energy independence when he took over in '00.  We could have had, by now, a hundred nuclear reactors up and operating.  That is just one of several massive fails on his watch, two others being the lack of spending controls and an open border.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #255 on: September 17, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »
you do know how long it takes to get a nuke up and running? :facepalm:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #256 on: September 17, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »
Bush could have initiated a Manhattan Project for energy independence when he took over in '00.  We could have had, by now, a hundred nuclear reactors up and operating.  That is just one of several massive fails on his watch, two others being the lack of spending controls and an open border.

The environmentalists won't allow it. If they did, we'd have reactors by now, and we'd have drilling in ANWAR, as well as off the CA and FL coasts.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #257 on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »

Yes. Coincidentally, the process takes even longer if you never start.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #258 on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »

More than six months.  And therefore, since we will see no benefit from this during MY presidency, we shouldn't bother.  Same with drilling.  OMG, we won't seen any usable product to market for TEN YEARS!  Therefore, we shouldn't ever start.

BTW, does anyone here remember what the original charter of the Department of Energy was?
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

• friends
« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
The environmentalists won't allow it. If they did, we'd have reactors by now, and we'd have drilling in ANWAR, as well as off the CA and FL coasts.

\bingo!!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2012, 11:21:25 AM »

OTOH, maybe we're buying oil from the ME just to use all theirs up before we tap our own reserves.  >:D
"It's good, though..."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2012, 11:33:37 AM »

For the new Gen-3+ plants?

~36 months from groundbreaking.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
I do, at least as far as Libya is concerned.  Bombed 'em a few times, shot down a few of their planes, dealt harshly with their "navy" on occasion.  How does that constitute propping the Colonel up?  If buying oil from some despot counts, then we are "propping up" Chavez and others as well.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »

I do, yes, and 12 years is enough.

It is of course true that the environmentalists would not permit it.  I guess they rule America then?  If they do, then what the hell are we talking about any of this for?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:55:13 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

• friends
« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »
For the new Gen-3+ plants?

~36 months from groundbreaking.
yea?  how many of those have gone up?

• friends

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2012, 03:54:20 PM »
A number of new permits were issued for new Nuke plants and expansion of existing plants during the Bush years.  I don't know if any of them has broke ground yet or what has happened to the permits.  South Texas Nuke was going to expand.  Last I heard, they hadn't broke ground.  I'll have to ask my neighbor next time I get a chance.  

I'll bet they are either still tied up in design approvals or facing legal challenges.  Hopefully, the permits weren't revoked.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2012, 04:03:31 PM »
they wanna expand near me.  it'll be 20 years from start to online assuming they ever make it.  and thats to add a unit at existing site

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #268 on: September 17, 2012, 05:12:54 PM »
Just so I understand.  They are mad at us because we sent their nationals that we picked up in Afghanistan and/or Iraq, back to their home country rather than sticking them in Gitmo, where they would be mad at us for holding their nationals.  Got it.  ;/

(And BTW Daffy Quaduck didn't start to play nice until after we showed that we could invade your country, kick your ass, capture you and your henchmen, and turn you over to your own folks who hang your ass.)   Then he "found religion", turned over his nuclear program to the UN, and kicked out a bunch of terrorists and closed their camps.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #269 on: September 17, 2012, 09:34:07 PM »
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jGdNmRPzIMG9iOlYDDbCKIFegSiA?docId=bb6af2e52353453297b874b27fdd96db

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/world/middleeast/video-appears-to-show-libyans-retrieving-envoys-body.html

So any reports that the Libyans paraded the lifeless body of Ambassador Stevens through the streets of Benghazi are apparently incorrect.  Instead, Libyan citizens took him to the local hospital where staff worked for 90 minutes to resuscitate him.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #270 on: September 17, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jGdNmRPzIMG9iOlYDDbCKIFegSiA?docId=bb6af2e52353453297b874b27fdd96db

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/world/middleeast/video-appears-to-show-libyans-retrieving-envoys-body.html

So any reports that the Libyans paraded the lifeless body of Ambassador Stevens through the streets of Benghazi are apparently incorrect.  Instead, Libyan citizens took him to the local hospital where staff worked for 90 minutes to resuscitate him.

I don't know or care which of two potential AgitProp campaigns is accurate:

1. The IslamoNaziFascists broom-raped the Ambassador and paraded his sodomized corpse through the streets (OhTehNoez, rabblerabblerabble let's go to war with brown people!), or
2. The kind, loving Libyan people who lurvs the United States (yay, hegemony! it works and makes brown people love us!) tried to rescue the Ambassador from a small group of radicals.

Doesn't matter to me.

Whichever one is truth and whichever one is a lie, the fact remains that it's in the Neocon/Sharia/Authoritarian/Wanna-Fight people's best interests to keep America in Libya.

And it's in REAL America's best interests to pull out of the entire Middle East and tell 'em to go sodomize camels and sheep rather than us (either figuratively through taking foreign aid and then sponsoring terrorism, or literally by sodomizing our Ambassadors).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #271 on: September 18, 2012, 06:09:52 AM »
Wouldn't have pegged anyone here as a rabid anti-nuke - hope I'm misreading your string of posts on the subject, CD.

yea?  how many of those have gone up?

None, IIRC, in large part because the government won't get behind and push as a part of a broad, diverse energy-production policy. If you claim to want cheap, safe, clean power, you NEED nuclear as a major (probably THE major) component of that platform, period-paragraph-end-of-statement. And yes, it feels odd saying that, with my political leanings - but since .gov won't get out of the freakin' way, it ought to do something useful, like help to make sure that national baseload energy requirements can be met by the safest, cheapest form of energy production currently available (take a look at the ACTUAL stats, CD - nuclear, over it's 60+year history, has killed fewer people than *HYDRO* has in that time period, and fewer than coal kills in in a SINGLE YEAR). Govt is not the only problem, certainly - but it's a big part, and it shouldn't be. I'd really like it if we could avoid putting not only noxious carbon products into the air to feed our energy needs, but more radioactive substances into the air than nuclear does as well (and yeah, look that one up too, while you're at it. You might be surprised by what you find). Yeah, I'd rather have fusion plants than fission - but until we GET fusion, we NEED fission.

Yeah, we should be investigating all methods of efficient and effective energy production. Wind might work in some areas, where wind speed is relatively constant - if the Kennedys and others who love their pristine ocean views would permit it, of course. Otherwise, you lose too much energy production to a comparatively-small drop in wind speed. Solar is getting better, but I don't think it's there quite yet as a large-scale power producer (and nobody's talking about putting collecters in space where the atmosphere won't absorb huge amounts of the energy being sent our way by Sol - that whole "death ray from space" part seems to put them off, for some reason... People don't seem to want to carpet entire states in solar panels, either). Hydro's just about maxed out, as I understand it. What's left?

It would help also if the Gen 3+ designs could actually be approved and certified for US use. At this time, it looks as though the AP1000 has certification, as of last December, and Vogtle is looking to put one or more in (they're talking a little less than 5 years to grid connection, as of June, apparently). No other advanced reactor design has apparently been certified by the NRC, though I see that a couple should finish certification sometime next year or in 2014. It takes so very long to get approval to even START construction; add to that the enormous resources which must be in place long before construction starts for end-of-life, and the fact that fedgov has been in contractual default for well over a DECADE on spent-fuel storage, forcing power companies to pick up the slack for them and store it on-site (which is something ELSE the anti-nuke types ignorantly whine about!) at their own cost above and beyond what was already contracted with fedgov for offsite storage, and perhaps you begin to see some of the barriers which have been placed in the way of the nuclear industry.

http://www.neis.org/literature/Brochures/npfacts.htm

Seriously? THOSE are what you're putting forward as "facts"? Ummm, no.

Let's take a look at one in particular which jumped out at me: "Using calculations from 3 Western European governments, the Worldwatch Institute has calculated that the world may experience three more Chernobyl-sized nuclear power accidents before the year 2000."

Where did those happen, again?

The organization attempts to use nuclear power's "low" percentage of US electrical load as a reason why they should be done away with completely - when they and groups like them are large parts of the REASON for that! Talk about disingenuous! I note that France, in particular, seems to be doing okay with ~80% of their energy portfolio coming from nuclear. Most of the so-called "facts" in the linked brochure are nothing of the sort - at best, they are mistaken; most of them seem to be nothing more than their own prejudices causing them to spew outright lies about an industry they hate. Not claiming that nuclear power is purer than the driven snow, by any means - like any other business, there are those who are corrupt and seek to cut corners to save (or skim) money. But if you're going to oppose something, you ought to do so on the FACTS.

they wanna expand near me.  it'll be 20 years from start to online assuming they ever make it.  and thats to add a unit at existing site

Yeah, they started work on putting a third plant at North Anna well before I left there, in '06. Originally, they were looking at a CANDU design; I've heard they changed their minds about that, but they still are not able to put a Gen-3+ plant there.

Fun fact for you, CD - Lake Anna, built by the Army Corps of Engineers specifically FOR Virginia Power (now Dominion), was originally spec'd for *FOUR* plants the size of the two currently on site. Uprating of the existing plants over the past 30 years has resulted in the equivalent of maybe half an extra plant, so that lake is supplying cooling for ~2.5 of the original 4 plants it was made for. A third of roughly the same rating, or even a fair bit more, will STILL put the lake at less than originally-designed heat load.

And that 20 year clock you mentioned (probably closer to 15) started upwards of 10 years ago, CD, when Dominion started seriously working on site permitting to get that third plant built.

Recommend if you want to continue to post about the imagined evils of nuclear power, you maybe should start another thread for it?

• friends
« Reply #272 on: September 18, 2012, 08:38:49 AM »
oh i am pro nuke  big time.  i am also pro reality   and you got a better chance getting a group buy of obama memorabilia going here than getting a nuke steaming in 3 years.

the link was to give examples of how the obstructionists stop em cold.  wanna take bets on when dominion gets #3 online at lake anna?

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #273 on: September 18, 2012, 05:40:33 PM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #274 on: September 18, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »
And it's in REAL America's best interests to pull out of the entire Middle East and tell 'em to go sodomize camels and sheep rather than us (either figuratively through taking foreign aid and then sponsoring terrorism, or literally by sodomizing our Ambassadors).

There's a 'real' America and a 'fake' America?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner