Author Topic: Nervous Man Ejects From Fighter Jet  (Read 1640 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Nervous Man Ejects From Fighter Jet
« on: April 13, 2020, 08:47:11 PM »
This should be satire / The Onion, but apparently isn't.  :laugh:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/france-fighter-jet-ejection-scli-intl/index.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Nervous Man Ejects From Fighter Jet
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:24:01 PM »
Is there a French "Funniest Videos" program he was shooting for?

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:37:56 PM »
Article is dated April 2020 but I could swear I read this several years ago
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 09:40:34 PM »
WLJ I think I also read it a while back
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 10:05:16 PM »
I should have known not to trust CNN for current and accurate news.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »
Here’s an article from the Aviationist about the accident investigation.  It sounds like quite a clusterfrack.

https://theaviationist.com/2020/04/09/report-released-on-french-rafale-passengers-accidental-ejection-reveals-both-human-and-technical-failures/

Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 11:11:40 PM »
Here’s an article from the Aviationist about the accident investigation.  It sounds like quite a clusterfrack.

https://theaviationist.com/2020/04/09/report-released-on-french-rafale-passengers-accidental-ejection-reveals-both-human-and-technical-failures/

What a fustercluck.

Why the hell was the rear seat ejection handle active?  That makes no sense.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 11:57:15 PM »
What a fustercluck.

Why the hell was the rear seat ejection handle active?  That makes no sense.

You know much more then I do about aviation obviously, but I guess I assumed that a safety critical system like ejection would normally be armed and active on a war plane.  I would think that a warplane design would generally assume that you may be engaged at any time, and therefore systems like ejection would be active if you're in the air by default.  NB, this is a laypersons perspective, thoughts?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 08:07:09 AM »
From the article, since one person activating the ejection system is supposed to eject both positions, my WAG is that there is no easy way to deactivate the rear seat without deactivating both of them.  The designers probably never asked themselves "what if some nervous Nellie on an incentive ride decided to punch out?"  The thought may not have occurred to the pilot, either; and even if it did, what self-respecting military jock would agree to fly with a deactivated ejection system?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 09:09:42 AM »
The report then said, “During the ejection, the civilian lost his helmet and oxygen mask. Due to a technical flaw of the seat, the dinghy failed to inflate, but fortunately, the incident happened above land. The passenger sustained minor injuries.”

Ironically (more or less), it was a technical malfunction that prevented the pilot from also being ejected from the aircraft along with the rear-seat passenger. The normal ejection sequence for a Dassault Rafale two-seat aircraft would cause both crew members to be ejected even if only one initiates the ejection sequence. This means the rear seat passenger accidentally pulling the ejection seat handle between their legs should have ejected the pilot as well. In this bizarre incident, both the front and rear canopies were disintegrated and ejected by explosive charge, the rear seat left the aircraft, but the pilot’s seat remained inside the aircraft. In other words, a technical glitch saved the aircraft.
So two technical failures in the ejection system on the same incident.  It happens, but I hope they get it fixed. 

He immediately left the aircraft as quickly as possible since his ejection seat was fully armed and the ejection sequence should have already occurred.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 09:29:05 AM »
I should have known not to trust CNN for current and accurate news.

It's current because the official investigation report was just released.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 09:47:03 AM »
You know much more then I do about aviation obviously, but I guess I assumed that a safety critical system like ejection would normally be armed and active on a war plane.  I would think that a warplane design would generally assume that you may be engaged at any time, and therefore systems like ejection would be active if you're in the air by default.  NB, this is a laypersons perspective, thoughts?

I've never flown military fighter aircraft, so I'm not familiar with all of their SOPs, but it seems to me that having an untrained person in close proximity to the ejection handle is a bad idea.  I do know that all ejection seats can be put on safe so they aren't accidentally fired, such as when the plane is in the hangar for maintenance.

For a normal demo flight, I don't see any need for ejection seats to be active. 

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 10:03:50 AM »
A quick Google shows that the Thunderbirds have live front and rear ejection seats during their press rides.  I couldn't find anything on the status of the rear ejection seats for the Blue Angels' press rides.  I assume those are hot, too.  Both demo teams have had ejections, but none with press/passengers, AFAIK.

The F-16 has a Pilot In Charge switch for who commands the ejection. Front seat in command = both seats eject, back seat first.  Back seat in command = only back seat ejects.

It looks like the F-18 is designed in the same manner.

I find it odd that the military would allow the possibility of the untrained, rear seat passenger the ability to eject himself and possibly damage the aircraft.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 10:08:08 AM »
It may depend on how they do their risk management.  It might be better to just not allow untrained people into the aircraft if the concern is so great. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »
^what he said. It's a fighter jet, not a Honda Accord.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 12:42:49 PM »
Usually part of a back seat brief includes very strong admonishment to keep your booger hooks away from the black and yellow striped handles or else you will find yourself suddenly in the air without an airplane surrounding your soft, squishy bits. This was just a lot of lax procedures piled on stupidity compounded by a faulty ejection seat for the pilot (a good thing in retrospect), not so good if you really needed to leave your burning aircraft.

Seats are hot or safe, there is no in between. Also, most two (or more seaters) have the option of Command ejection, one person pulls the leave now handle and everyone leaves or single where each person is responsible for getting themselves out. From what I remember they almost always fly in Command mode so if one person is incapacitated the other can get everyone out.

For the record I have only flown in two ejection seat types, an F4 and an EA6B, I had no misunderstanding at all about the function of the striped handles and under no circumstances were my hands to get anywhere near them.

bob

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 05:00:15 PM »

Oh yeah.  This was one screw up after another.   I'm thinking Charlie Foxtrot doesn't even *begin* to cover this one.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 06:08:01 PM »
Here’s an article from the Aviationist about the accident investigation.  It sounds like quite a clusterfrack.

Video to go along with that

Mentour Pilot chimes in
Says that the guy wasn't strapped in right and thus while experiencing negative g's was lifted up from his seat and in a panic was trying to grab onto anything. Unfortunately that included the ejection handle. Oh, and his doctor said No negative g's
Bunch of additional info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zT7nEZqZM
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:43:32 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes