Author Topic: Propane grill advice  (Read 3459 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Propane grill advice
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:00:34 AM »
I'm considering this grill

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154596-82210-463247310_4294857754_4294937087_?productId=3108895&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Gas%2BGrills_4294857754_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1%26page%3D3

Time for a new one, considering the burner on mine disintegrated somewhat when I attempted to clean it.

Not so sure what this "infrared" hype is all about, but the grill seems solidly built, has a good warrantee, and appears to be easy to clean. some people swear by these and other "infrared" grills.

Thoughts?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re: Propane grill advice
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »
Hmmm. Some bad reviews on that site. Maybe i should keep looking.

I want a nice grill for around 500. Is that so much to ask? lol
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 07:27:24 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:33:52 AM »
Yeah, charcoal grills better. I know...

here's the thing though... it's a pain in the ass.

If i get a charcoal one, i won't use it as often. And i want to enjoy cooking dead animals and drinking shiner bock.

I use my current gas one all the time.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 07:43:21 AM »
I wonder if char broil "commercial" is the "lower" tier brand from Char broil?

This grill is similarly priced and equipped, and gets better reviews at several sites...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202525445#BVRRWidgetID
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:23:58 AM »
Gas Grills? Look for Heavy Cast Iron grates. You don't need to spend $500 on a grill, I spent less than $200 on grills and get just as many years out of them as they guys who buy the $500+ ones. Also I don't get side burners, never used one and if I really needed to cook a pot of something I get one of my Coleman stoves.

I'll probably end up buying a Weber Q for my next grill, so I can use it on my deck but I can also take it on the road with me when out with the camper or tailgating before an ISU game. I also have a 22" Weber Kettle if I need to grill a lot of food if I have company.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 08:41:54 AM »
In a word...Weber. I spent years buying charbroil and other less expensive brands every 2-3 years.  Last fall, I broke down, listened to a buddy, and bout the three burner Weber Spirit E-310.  It's right at that $500 mark you mentioned, but it's already proven it's worth what you pay.  Grates are heavry cast iron.  Yeah, they take some work to maintain, but not so much to be a problem.  It's hot.  Real hot. Six hundred + degrees in about 10 minutes with all three burners on high.  Steaks get great grill marks and a good sear at that temp.  chicken skin actually crisps up from the heat.  Warrany?  Yep, a ten year warranty on most of the parts, and customer service is outstanding.  My buddy often calls for his issues and has new parts sent to him, free, within a day or two.

Another piece of advice after you buy the Spirit...save up another $100 and buy a Weber One-Touch Silver charcoal grill at Target or another store.  Having both a gas and charcoal grill may seem a little much, but in my backyard, I use gas for anything that will cook in under an hour, and break out the charcoal for the occassional weekend when I'm grilling something that's going to be low and slow...ribs, beer can chickens, etc.

And, be sure and buy a cover for the grills.  Protect your investments. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »
I like the webers, but they're pricey.

I'm gonna go get EYES ON that Weber spirit you recommended and also the Charbroil RED. The red does have the cast iron grates,. which the first one i looked at (the Quantum) did not.

It also has those concave trays that would seem to make cleaning a snap.

Your advice on the seperate charcoal grill is good. I think I will take that advice.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »
The "infra red heat system" just means that the gas jets are heating a piece of metal somewhere, then that hot metal re-radiates the heat at the food.

I've got a cheap *expletive deleted*ss CharBroil I got at... Walmart? I don't even remember, over 12 years ago, and it's doing fine. I replaced the burners, flame bar, and lava rocks finally just last summer, the only major damage is the lid handle busted off when it fell over in a storm.

I like charcoal too. However, I've got a tiny yard and don't have anywhere/anyway good to get rid of ashes etc. And I got the grill when I lived in a condo and wasn't allowed charcoal on my balcony.

Besides, my dad has the best of both worlds. A push button propane starting Weber charcoal grill. and Mrs. Dual, the kids and I eat there every Sunday anyway.  =D

I promise not to duck.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 10:28:16 AM »
The second one i linked (the Charbroil "Red") appears to be super easy to clean. One thing i hate is clogged burners, etc.

What i'd REALLY like is a huge gas/charcoal combo built into a solid brick enclosure. But that's several years down the road ;-)
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
I like the webers, but they're pricey.

I'm gonna go get EYES ON that Weber spirit you recommended and also the Charbroil RED. The red does have the cast iron grates,. which the first one i looked at (the Quantum) did not.

It also has those concave trays that would seem to make cleaning a snap.

Your advice on the seperate charcoal grill is good. I think I will take that advice.

Spend the money on the Weber.

And if you need a small/portable grill, Weber Q series.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »
How about this bad boy.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 12:48:06 PM »
Hey Fitz, check out the weber design.  The burners are covered by the vaporizer bars.  I can't imagine how you could clog one of those...

My old CharBroil with a little tent over the burner did clog, and I had to take wire brushes to them all the time. 

I actually cleaned my Weber the first time this past Saturday.  Took my shop vac to the inside.  Done in 10 minutes.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »
Take a look at that second link, the home depot one. That's a pretty foolproof design.

I'm going to go look at both in person today.

The weber and that second link are the most likely candidates. First one, outta the question... the grill surface is cheap, and looks easy to clog

The home depot link above, the concave "infrared" reflector thingies act as bowls to collect the nastiness.

Anyways. I'm gonna check that weber out today too.

Thanks!
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Once upon a time I swore I'd never have a gas grill...until I had kids and a hundred things to do.  I bought a little Weber a few years ago, and added one of those cast iron wood chip holders.  I rarely wet the chips, or change them.  The smoky goodness just keeps on giving.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 10:11:13 PM »
I have done or do service for the upper end grills like DCS, Viking, Thermadore...

I can't say anything bad about any of them due to contracts.

I think I'm going to build my next grill. ;)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »
Somebody gave us a Weber a few years back but we never used it.

Then I gave it away, but I guess I have it back again... (?)

The cart needs fixing but otherwise I think it's okay.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 08:44:18 AM »
Back in 1985, my brother and I bought my father a Weber One-Touch Silver charcoal grill.  Sat on his porch until her died, with weekly use minimum every summer until he died.  I brought it home in 2007.  The wooden handles were rotted.  A few of the small steel parts were rusted, as was the cooking grate.  The lid and kettle were completely rust free, and the vents moved freely, like right out of the box.  I bought a new grate, oiled up the rusted parts, and used mneral oil on the wood handles.  Cooks great.

It's kind of like guns.  When I was younger and less wise, I favored less expensive purchases, and lived with the lower quality outcome (less accuracy in guns and poorer cooking with grills).  As I got older and wiser, I realized that by spending a bit more, the outcome was better.  Both guns and grills.  No more Taurus or CharBroil for me, thank you.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
kinda OT, but picked up a copy of "Cook's Illustrated" Magazine a couple days ago, their Summer Grilling issue. Lots of good recepies for gas & charcoal, plus how to clean your grill.

Short version: Put a sheet of heavy aluminum foil over the cast iron grates and turn the sucker on high, leave it 15 min, away from the house or at least with the windows closed!! Don't ask how I know that. Works like a charm, once you air the house out!!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »
Hey, Fitz, I was at Meijer over the weekend, and saw one of the Weber Spirit grills on sale for less than what I paid.  I pad $499, this was on sale closer to $400 (sorry, can;t remember the price).  What I noticed was that the grates were NOT cast iron.  They were enamal clad metal of some type.  Really thin and light weight.  I have no experience with those grates, but I'd think hard about spending the money to get teh cast iron.  I love mine.  Just additional info...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »
I have a weber genesis silver that is plumbed into the house for natural gas and could not be happier with it.