Author Topic: What do you live for?  (Read 7305 times)

matis

• friend
What do you live for?
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2005, 05:40:53 PM »
Quote: grampster
Hmmmmm.  Difficult question to answer coherently.

My personal philosphy in life is to wake up in the morning, put on my pants, walk out the door and see what happens.  Has worked well for 62 years, so far.

Quote: Barbara
If you really want to shake things up, try the same routine, but without the pants.

OK, Barbara, Grampster,  I've been fooling around on these boards for a number of years, now.

I have fun.

But if I never had any fun AT ALL before, this exchange alone would make it all worth-while!

You guys get the CIGAR!

(P.S. - What do I do now about my own WET pants?)

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

What do you live for?
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2005, 08:38:39 PM »
Philosophy I:

To leave something behind that is not affected by being burnt.

Comes from something I read once - Only thing left of a person' life is that which don't burn

Philosophy II:  Leave me the hell alone , cause I damn sure plan on leaving you alone.

Simple Life Dealie:  Wake up, breathe in /out, put one foot in front the other, do what is in front of me at the moment, Go to bed , Awake, Repeat.  Until such time this cycle gets broken.

My attitude is there are NO Absolutes, 'bout the only one that may be is - if one ever draws a breath - someday they won't.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
What do you live for?
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2005, 02:15:47 AM »
I'm not crazy about the other option.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grampster

• friend
What do you live for?
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2005, 10:01:50 AM »
sm,

You are a much more complicated critter than you explained above.  Too many interesting facets to ya'll my son, for that to be accurate.  Take one step back and a deep breath.

PS: Matis
Depend on yer Depends.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

What do you live for?
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2005, 10:46:13 AM »
grampster my friend,

There is not enough bandwith, or time for me to list all my faults and misgivings. I know, I got cramped hands/ fingers, run out of ink, run thru legal pads doing an inventory once and again some years later on. Best part was when I faced it with another, and the legal pads were tossed in a roaring fireplace.
I am reponsible and I own those things.

Been sober since 1984. I find I am in a dead run for simple. I appreciate Serenity and Simple. I recall my Mentors and Elders, I was attracted to what they had. I hung with older folks, still prefer to.

Mentors and Elders are gone now. I had some momentos, some are lost, some burned up in a fire. All I got is the memory of what didn't get lost or burnt.

I also have things fire will not erase, some bad times, some bad folks, and even the fact time has passed, some folks are gone, or I have removed myself from playgrounds, playmates, playthings, folks, family, friends...well they remain -

It is that hoping I shared teaching a kid, to shoot and he teaches another , and this is taught again ...

Maybe the lady I did the teaching with , and her kids being taught, and they...
There are some single shot shotguns I have given away, some are still passing forward...
Some of my Competition guns are still winning and getting prizes...

The guns may burn up, get lost or stolen. The lessons and memories I remember, I hope for these folks they do to.

Little stuff, like walking the property with a dog, reading a book, whittling a stick...something I did with someone...and they too pass these things forward.

At this time, I am having to start all over - again. Doesn't seem to get any easier each time I have been thru this either. Oh I have been totally at fault before. This time - yeah I made some mistakes, just this time TPTB really are at fault. Handling this I goof along the way. I admit so.

My goal this time is not to make - or make less mistakes. I want simple , more than ever. I do not need or want a big house, car or whatever.   I do want to replace the cash in Hill's Bros cans I had. I do want to get this semester over, I do want to leave.

So making inquiries of where to go with not much but what I have in a storage room, and what little I keep close to make it 24 hrs a day. Get a job I can still take classes around when can. Build a new life, a simple one. Just as soon work out of the house one of these days to save wear and tear on a vechicle, drive time, parking and such. Get a dog, share a can of Vienna Sausages and walk the property to see what we can see. Don't own a TV, only reason I'd get another is to see some VHS movies and training tapes I have. Still something about reading Ruark to a dog, and listening to the rain outside...

Maybe when it lets up me and the dog can shoot tin cans off the back porch. Nope, the dog wants me grab a single shot .410, go check on the quail, see if any deer on the fringes, chase a rabbit, bark at the squirrels...

Simple.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

What do you live for?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005, 02:07:52 PM »
Quote from: sm
run thru legal pads doing an inventory once and again some years later on. Best part was when I faced it with another, and the legal pads were tossed in a roaring fireplace.
I am reponsible and I own those things.
You know Steve, I think that's why I want to read every single one of your posts.
There is a lifetime's worth of back story behind every sentence you write.

And while I think that many of us may have a storied and colorful past, not many of us manage to allude to some chapter or verse (at least, it SEEMS that way) with every line of every post.

I find reading your posts alot like listening to Radio Theater; I can "see" a whole bunch of stuff going on as I read through them.  

Thanks for that,

Fignozzle, Felonious Monk, Ben, whatever you want to call me.

grampster

• friend
What do you live for?
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2005, 02:24:18 PM »
Fig, and that's why I don't like hearing that feller, friend of ours, selling himself short.
If variety is the spice of life, ole Steve is a habenero (sp?) pepper.

Steve, I started out in the '40's collecting metal, magazines, bottles, paper etc and turning it over two old boys that paid kids for bringing that stuff to them.  They were recycling before it became something new the ecologists "invented".  Then in the 50's newspapers, AM and PM and a weekly on Thursday.  In the '60's worked in a drug store to pay for college and then was a leo for 7 years.  That led to 38 years in the insurance bidness.  Never started over.  Just onward and upward.  Rather staid existance.  *yawn*   You've had life dealt up to you in all its raw glory.  Savor it.

I read the things you ruminate and chew about and grin and grieve over the multitude of machinations in your life.  You've shoved a bunch wooly bugger into the sack of your life, podnuh.  Probably why you yearn for simple. (Just like single shot 28 ga., simple) I wish you Godspeed on that mission, my friend.  It is honorable and  deserved.

We've talked about Ruark and The Old Man and Boy in the past.  It would be good to be delivered up to that; on a blustery, sleety, gloomy overcast morning, full of eggs and taters and a couple rashers of bacon and home made toast with Gran's home made cherry jam, while the pintails, woodies and black ducks flare over The Old Man's hand carved decoys in the swamp.....sigh.....
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

What do you live for?
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2005, 04:20:49 PM »
It ain't no big deal - I ain't one either.
There will always be someone worse off than me

Hey for funzies, and to take a break from some homework I have no idea how to do right...

Well the yard is mowed and all and being as I have noticed a number of wabbits around here lately...

Well...I wondered if I still had the touch. Fishing line, cardboard box , prop stick,  4 cell maglight, part of a sweet 'tater.

Ambient light in the city...motion lights come on, wabbit ignores...hop, hop,hophophop to the sweet tater. He starts to leave and hit 'em with the light beam - oh yeah he froze. Pull cord and I gots me a Wabbit under cardboard box. Cheesy

I stroll over, remove box and he is shaking like a leaf. I tell 'em [ yeah I really did] it was okay to leave, and take his  sweet tater with him. I walk off with the box and all, last seen 'em in the corner of yard, looking over his shoulder at me  with that pc of sweet 'tater.

I dunno always been one to harder on myself than anyone else could. Competitive streak too. I like to challenge myself at times... a bit too much I admit.

Still - when is the last time you got a wabbit under cardboard box?

grampster

• friend
What do you live for?
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2005, 04:28:57 PM »

What do you live for?
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2005, 04:42:05 PM »
I was born in 1955.

You want me to show up and show you how it is done? Wink

I still gots plenty of 30# fishing line I can bring...

grampster

• friend
What do you live for?
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2005, 05:05:09 PM »
Rookie!

Capteddie

What do you live for?
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2005, 01:11:47 AM »
Wife
Son
Dogs

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
What do you live for?
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2005, 05:35:34 AM »
What do I live for.

Myself- if I didn't, I could choose to die at anytime, get busy living or get busy dying

Today- Just to experience everything out there to be experienced

Tomorrow- Today might be sh*tty but tomorrow might be a helluva lot better.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Lennyjoe

• friend
What do you live for?
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2005, 07:54:47 AM »
Family.  That's it.  In the end the only thing close to you is your family.  

My childhood was full of ups and downs.  A dad who drank too much.  A mother who worked too much to provide for us kids.  A sister who went to school and then came home to take care of us young boys while mom was working her second job.  A step father who wanted to provide but had to fight my dad several times to keep a good woman.  

I vowed never to let my children go thru that nonsense.  I am here soley to provide a good life for them.  When they go out on their own I want them to go knowing that a good family life at home is paramount.  

2 are over 18.  The son is 21 and the middle child (daughter) is 18 and a freshman at the University of Arizona with ambitions of becoming a Pediatric doctor.  Number 3 is 17 and ready to spread her wings.  

When they are out on thier own and doing well then I will start living for myself.  

Until then, I live to provide for them.

mfree

• friend
What do you live for?
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2005, 10:32:59 AM »
I live for tomorrow.

Chris

What do you live for?
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2005, 05:47:09 AM »
I was about to go on and on like Kevin Costner in Bull Durham, but what's the point.  I live for the sake of being alive, and take pleasure out of too many things to list.

What do you live for?
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2005, 06:00:10 AM »
Quote from: Jason M.
Oh yes. I forgot the most important thing, which allows me to enjoy the things I listed before: liberty.
That's my #1, also.

Lee

• friend
What do you live for?
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2005, 03:26:03 PM »
Got nuthin better to do.

w turner

What do you live for?
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2005, 12:21:56 PM »
-My 15 mo. old son's smile
-*That* look from my wife, whether it's because I done somethin' mischevious or because I am about to
-My dog climbing up into bed looking for a good belly scratch
-Talkin' with my Pop.......while I still can
-Teachin' a new shooter and seeing that light of understanding the first time they hit the X on purpose
-That new gun smell
-Goin' to church because I want to........not because I feel obligated

Old Dog

What do you live for?
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2005, 03:43:47 PM »
I like W Turner's ...
I live for:
The days when my daughters give me a phone call, not because they need something, just because they want to talk ... That first cup of strong French Roast Coffee in the morning (used to be that first cigarette, too, until 1996) ... Sleeping in on Sunday mornings, getting up with nothing on the agenda except football on TV and the Sunday newspaper ... Friday afternoons and that first cool Sam Adams in a frosted glass ... A crisp autumn morning rustling through wet leaves and slush, .30-06 in hand and lookin' for that trophy buck ... The sweet perfume of Hoppe's #9 and Breakfree permeating my garage in the afternoon after a long day at the range ... The sight of the majestic mountain ranges rising over me as I crest my driveway on a rare clear Western Washington morning ...
-- Will

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
What do you live for?
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2005, 06:05:25 AM »
Doing something for my wife and seeing her smile.

Hearing my (not-quite) 3 year old daughter scream, "Daddy home!" when I get home from work.

Seeing my 16 month old daughter wave her hands and smile with joy when she sees me come into a room.

Going to the range, especially with my dad.

Enjoying a nice glass of Knob Creek on the rocks or a Newcastle Brown Ale while I read something or surf the Internet.

Savoring the taste of a fine cigar while I sit outside and thumb my nose at busybody blissninnies who want to regulate all the fun out of life.

Learning something new everyday.

Teaching something to others.

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
What do you live for?
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2005, 01:28:04 PM »
Revenge
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III