Author Topic: What does One Trillion Dollars look like?  (Read 3125 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: What does One Trillion Dollars look like?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:42:20 PM »
Oh what I could do with all that money!  =D

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »
Ah wow! Quite the visualization.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:03:31 AM »
[sincerity] Whew! Thank heaven it's government money rather than the tax payers'! [/sincerity]
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Its not real money.  Its debt.  This is what one trillion dollars looks like:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »
Wow.  Drives it home in a way the number alone can't.

In the opposite direction, I was surprised by how SMALL a space is taken up by one million dollars.

And freedom lover?  I won't be greedy, I'd settle for just the one pallet's worth, a mere hundred million bucks.  I think I could manage to comfort myself with such a minor sum...  =D 

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:56:40 PM »
They would never notice if I took just one pallet, would they? :angel: =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 06:13:10 PM »
They would never notice if I took just one pallet, would they? :angel: =D

You laugh, this happened during the early days of the Iraq invasion.  A couple pallets of cash went missing.  They noticed it missing, but they never looked too hard.

Interesting visualization...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 06:31:58 PM »
You laugh, this happened during the early days of the Iraq invasion.  A couple pallets of cash went missing.  They noticed it missing, but they never looked too hard.

Interesting visualization...
Yep, read about some of the lootin' going on. Not quite on that (whole pallets) scale, but more like "Let's squirrel away some of this money here, no one will notice"-scale.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »
How about putting 300 million people standing next to it, instead of just one guy?  Not quite the same impact, huh?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »
Remember here that $2.5 million dollars used to be the financial freedom barrier - once you had that money, you could live off the proceeds for the rest of your life without working.

In other terms, 400,000 people can live off a trillion dollars for the rest of their lives without working, or, in fact, touching the princial.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 11:26:59 PM »
Remember here that $2.5 million dollars used to be the financial freedom barrier - once you had that money, you could live off the proceeds for the rest of your life without working.

Probably a bit higher these days.

If you put the $2.5m principle in a savings account that had, say, a .5% interest rate (which is really crappy - I don't think it'd be hard to find something that had a 3% or higher rate), you'd get $12,500 a year.  You'd need food stamps...  Put it in an account that gets you 3%, and it'd be $75,000.   Not bad, but not exactly living the high life, either...

$10,000,000 is probably closer.  A 3% interest on that would yield $300,000, which is a sizable income in most states (excluding some of the higher-end urban areas).  Even a .5% interest rate would yield $50,000 a year.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 11:56:31 PM »
I came up with the ten-million figure myself, back several years ago.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 01:30:28 AM »
that all depends on what you need to make to live comfy.  In LA, at 3%, you would be fine with 2.5mil.   75k is well above the average paycheck.  75k and a couple of kids, and you still have a nice house and have a new car every couple of years.

Of course, if you get off your lazy ass and work, that 75k supplement to a avg 30k paycheck.....not bad at all....

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 01:40:26 AM »
Saying 75k a year is not enough to live comfortably on...... Wow. I would disagree with that, especially as the income is unrelated to cost of living.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 01:49:02 AM »
I didn't say one couldn't live comfortably on it, I merely mentioned that it wouldn't be "living the high life."

If I had a couple mill in the bank, I'd want to live a little bit better than the average Joe..,

And in either case, my point was that "worst case" i.e. you couldn't find a savings account to dump the principle in that returns more than .5% (which is around what most large banks will give you for your standard savings accounts), you couldn't live comfortably.  You'd HAVE to find a savings account that would return around 3% for $2.5 mil  to be viable to live off just the interest.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:54:49 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 02:25:32 AM »
I didn't say one couldn't live comfortably on it, I merely mentioned that it wouldn't be "living the high life."

If I had a couple mill in the bank, I'd want to live a little bit better than the average Joe..,

And in either case, my point was that "worst case" i.e. you couldn't find a savings account to dump the principle in that returns more than .5% (which is around what most large banks will give you for your standard savings accounts), you couldn't live comfortably.  You'd HAVE to find a savings account that would return around 3% for $2.5 mil  to be viable to live off just the interest.

Meh, I guess we're different in that regard. And I still contend that you can always move to a poor part of the country and look down on the plebes all you want.  :laugh: And really, .5%? L2credit union or something, I've never had that low a percent on a savings account.  :rolleyes:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 11:26:08 AM »
They would never notice if I took just one pallet, would they?

No, and there are plenty of politicians who know that when they passed the stimulus bill.  All of there pet projects and supporters now have funding, regardless of whether they "stimulate" they economy.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 12:42:42 PM »
No, and there are plenty of politicians who know that when they passed the stimulus bill.  All of there pet projects and supporters now have funding, regardless of whether they "stimulate" they economy.
Do you think we could get some stimulation to fund The APS Pirate Hunting Expedition? I think a dozen or so pallets would cover all expenses (ammunition, food, rum, ammunition, fuel, rum, ammunition) =D.