Author Topic: What do you recommend for GRE test prep?  (Read 1443 times)

cosine

• Administrator
What do you recommend for GRE test prep?
« on: August 13, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »
I plan on taking the GRE next summer, and figure I could start look at preparing for it now.

I'm not interested in much more than a test prep book.

What do you recommend?
Andy

drewtam

• friend
Re: What do you recommend for GRE test prep?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:15:29 PM »
An engineering degree.

=D

I walked in cold, took it, and scored high. Decided to get married and get job instead. Now I have a kid, mortgage, and car payment. No chance of college life for me any more.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:10:53 AM »
I used the Kaplan one (this was more than 6 years back so times may have changed).

I found that it did ok on the mathematics portion, you either know definitions and how to apply them or you don't.  I felt it did a good job of covering the mathematics topics that were asked on the exam.

Writing was rather basic, I got something like 5.5/6.0 and I wrote an essay in the same format that I did for my public high school English class.  5 paragraphs, 5 sentences each paragraph, with no fancy words.  Books usually don't have much to say about these.

I felt that it lacked on preparing me for the verbal questions.  Maybe it was just the way I studied, but I recall the book focusing on the "most frequently missed words" and it wasn't really of much use.  I do recall being surprised by the questions in the verbal -- i.e., it had not prepared me for the types of question I would receive (or at least, not the frequency or severity).

I think that it concentrated some time on test taking strategies.  Back then it was based on a tier system.  If you miss the first question, you were more or less put into the 400 or below bracket (with some chance to creep back up if you answer many more correctly, as it bases the difficulty of the next question on the correctness of the previous answer).  I recall that was helpful to at least know.

Will you be taking a subject exam also?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:13:05 AM »
I suggest buying the GREPREP  [that's what it's called I think] software, and do exercises on it till your eyes glow.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:40:19 PM »
I'm working on an engineering degree.

I don't know if I will be taking any subject tests.
Andy

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:49:56 PM »
Princeton Review was helpful.

If you actually earn an engineering degree, you'll likely do well. 

What do you expect to study in grad school?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:58:45 PM »
I expect to study electrical engineering. Basically a continuation of undergrad because I like the subject matter, like school, do well in school, and so I figure I might as well keep on going (haven't ruled out a PhD yet either).
Andy

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
Register for the test at the last minute, get good and whiskey drunk at a heavy metal bar you've never been to the night before, smoke reefer with strange women in the parking lot, lose your ride, walk home in the cold rain and snow, get two and a half hours sleep, and eat a sausage McMuffin with egg on your way to the test.

Worked for me, but I thrive on institutional hostility.
7-11 was a part time job.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 11:30:35 PM »
What I'd do, is just like... like... you know, like, you know what I mean, like...

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine