Author Topic: What does a smoking employee cost the company?  (Read 4020 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
What does a smoking employee cost the company?
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/06/04/188631885/that-employee-who-smokes-costs-the-boss-5-800-a-year?ft=1&f=1001

In healthcare, it is becoming more and more popular to not hire smokers.  I have heard of some hospitals adding a cotinine test to the standard pre-employment drug screen, to see if the applicant is telling the truth about not being a smoker.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: What does a smoking employee cost the company?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »
The cotinine tests are easy to "beat" though.

Takes 2-3 days of not smoking to eliminate most of the nicotine/cotinine metabolizing process.  And the test probably wouldn't pick up on a quarter-pack-a-day smoker who didn't lay off for a couple days before the test anyways.

Half-pack a day or higher smokers are easy to tell just by smell, fingernails, their facial skin tone, their eyes.

The cotinine tests have a really high threshold so that they don't run into false-positives and lose their marketability after a trial where an employee sues his employer over a false reading on a test.  Can't have folks failing because they hung out at the bar last night and smokers were there, but the employee didn't partake.

Largely a cash-cow for two groups:
1. The test makers.
2. Insurance companies, for situations where a smoker can be charged more for health insurance than a non-smoker.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: What does a smoking employee cost the company?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
hair tests   hard to beat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Re: What does a smoking employee cost the company?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »
hair tests   hard to beat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

You haven't met MillCreek  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »
COST the company?  Smokers *save* the company money by dying sooner -- they don't collect all their pension.
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:50 PM »
At my current company, which is large enough to be self-insured, smoking costs the employee $30 per month, which is an absurd amount.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »
COST the company?  Smokers *save* the company money by dying sooner -- they don't collect all their pension.

What is this "pension" of which you speak?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 06:30:20 PM »
At my current company, which is large enough to be self-insured, smoking costs the employee $30 per month, which is an absurd amount.
At my company it costs the employee roughly 30 a paycheck, exact amount depending on the plan and Single, Family, etc. And IIRC, the price jump is if any family member on the plan is a smoker.

We get paid biweekly.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 06:53:16 PM »
My company is self-insured as well - a cotinine test is required when you first join the insurance plan.  We have more insanity then that though - each year we have a blood draw, if you show any high risk signs [BMI, HDL, LDL, Triglycerides, a few others], your insurance premiums go up.  My BMI is always a point or two over, so I routinely get nicked for that.

A few years ago, the company also banned smoking on any corporate owned property, including inside personal owned vehicles.  Smokers now often congregate at a nearby parking lot of a bank that went out of business.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »

All what pension?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
Next up alcohol use
Followed by obesity standards
Etc.

<flight of fancy>The solution is to end tax exempt status for employer sponsored healthcare benefits.  Make healthcare insurance no different than automobile insurance.</flight of fancy>

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 07:49:41 PM »
What is this "pension" of which you speak?

That's money that the old guys and the state employees get when they retire.  By the time we retire, it'll just be state employees.
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 07:55:09 PM »
That's money that the old guys and the state employees get when they retire.  By the time we retire, it'll just be state employees.

Hey, look on the bright side; maybe by that time we'll all be state employees.  :P

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »
So $5800 a year is maybe 3 to 6% depending pay and benefits.  If you have an employee who gets the job done, that is chicken feed.  Sounds like some BS HR decision for upper management types who look at employees as a bunch of numbered robots.  I can almost see some of our HR "professionals" liking this. 

A good operator or I/E Tech probably saves us more than that each time they prevent a shutdown or fix a problem.  Of course, I think hourly plant workers who don't smoke are likely in the minority down here.  Maybe it is 50/50.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:19:49 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: What does a smoking employee cost the company?
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 10:14:22 PM »

I have a pension. Of course,  I'm no longer adding to it and anyone hired a month and a half after me didn't get it, but, hey, 35 year old with a pension! (I'm not really expecting it to be there in 30 years)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 10:25:51 PM »
What does smoking an employee cost the company?

What a difference a small change makes.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 10:52:07 PM »

I'm not a smoker.  Never have been.  (Or, said differently, I quit when I was nineteen, on the very day I started.)

I've worked with smokers, lots of them, and I would say that on balance they were generally the more focused, productive, no nonsense programmers.  Many of them were the mainstay of the software division, and their loss would have been severely injurious to the development effort.

I don't know why.  I have no data that properly correlates and accounts for this seeming coincidence.

Yes, I've worked with a few who were simply slovenly puffers, having no extra merit to offer, but more of them have been kick-butt producers and worth whatever it cost to keep them.

Me, I'm just your average "genius-class" software geek who solves problems and writes code that works.  In those places where we had that smoker-as-rock-star personality, I vainly struggled to keep pace with the output of stained-finger guys who made us mere geniuses look like pikers.

IQ?  Nah.  They usually tested out pretty much where the rest of us were, somewhere above 120, but they had this "something extra" that gave, what?, insight?, clarity?, I dunno.  And they smoked.

I would hesitate to postulate that nicotine had anything to do with their code cutting abilities, but there would seem to be some condition common to both the exceptional coding and the inclination to be chimneys.

So, in the cases I reference above, the cost to the company was negligible alongside the value to the company.

Nothing in the above ramblings should be mistaken for science.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 11:48:01 PM »
I'm not a smoker.  Never have been.  (Or, said differently, I quit when I was nineteen, on the very day I started.)

I've worked with smokers, lots of them, and I would say that on balance they were generally the more focused, productive, no nonsense programmers.  Many of them were the mainstay of the software division, and their loss would have been severely injurious to the development effort.

I don't know why.  I have no data that properly correlates and accounts for this seeming coincidence.

Yes, I've worked with a few who were simply slovenly puffers, having no extra merit to offer, but more of them have been kick-butt producers and worth whatever it cost to keep them.

Me, I'm just your average "genius-class" software geek who solves problems and writes code that works.  In those places where we had that smoker-as-rock-star personality, I vainly struggled to keep pace with the output of stained-finger guys who made us mere geniuses look like pikers.

IQ?  Nah.  They usually tested out pretty much where the rest of us were, somewhere above 120, but they had this "something extra" that gave, what?, insight?, clarity?, I dunno.  And they smoked.

I would hesitate to postulate that nicotine had anything to do with their code cutting abilities, but there would seem to be some condition common to both the exceptional coding and the inclination to be chimneys.

So, in the cases I reference above, the cost to the company was negligible alongside the value to the company.

Nothing in the above ramblings should be mistaken for science.

There was a study done back in the 1980's that found that smokers in general were more productive. I smoked because I was very hyper, so any correlation the study found may have been reverse.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:23 AM »
I have a pension. Of course,  I'm no longer adding to it and anyone hired a month and a half after me didn't get it, but, hey, 35 year old with a pension! (I'm not really expecting it to be there in 30 years)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

If I can keep my career ADD in check for another 1.75 years I'll vest in the pension they offer at PACCAR.  It's not huge, but you get basically 1% of your average 5 highest paid years for each year of service, up to 35 years service.  Assuming I actually stay that long, I'l have 32 years in by the time I'm 65.

Oh, and they do charge something extra to smokers for health insurance.  Not sure how much though.
Formerly sumpnz

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 03:42:03 AM »
<flight of fancy>The solution is to end tax exempt status for employer sponsored healthcare benefits.  Make healthcare insurance no different than automobile insurance.</flight of fancy>

And this is why I oppose all tax-exempt statuses or 'tax cuts' for anyone.

This why.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 10:53:36 AM »
What's the next step? 

Charge extra and/or refuse to hire people because they:

drink large soft drinks
eat meat
own and shoot guns
drive a car that gets less than 30 mpg

???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »
What's the next step? 

Charge extra and/or refuse to hire people because they:

drink large soft drinks
eat meat
own and shoot guns
drive a car that gets less than 30 mpg

???

I doubt it, unless it can be shown that these things cost the company money.  If it turns out that the average smoker costs a company thousands of dollars per smoker throughout the year, then I can't say that I am surprised that they would prefer to hire non-smokers.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
I doubt it, unless it can be shown that these things cost the company money.  If it turns out that the average smoker costs a company thousands of dollars per smoker throughout the year, then I can't say that I am surprised that they would prefer to hire non-smokers.

I'm having a hard time seeing how that cost differential can be true, unless smokers are taking extra breaks for smoking.  In that case, they need to address it as a performance issue.

BTW, I hate smoking  ;)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »
I doubt it, unless it can be shown that these things cost the company money.  If it turns out that the average smoker costs a company thousands of dollars per smoker throughout the year, then I can't say that I am surprised that they would prefer to hire non-smokers.
But that is only part of the equation.  What is the "value added' by that employee?  An effective employee should be providing value that far exceeds their pay/benefits.  An effective employee should be providing value that makes that extra cost meaningless.  If they are not effective, then there are other issues than smoking (performance, leadership, or regulations).

There are any number of things that affect employee health costs.  What if companies start asking for medical history and looking for dangerous hobbies?  There is a lot more in this than just smoking.  To me it is just a case of using an unpopular activity to erode privacy.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 11:37:31 AM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/06/04/188631885/that-employee-who-smokes-costs-the-boss-5-800-a-year?ft=1&f=1001

I have heard of some hospitals adding a cotinine test to the standard pre-employment drug screen, to see if the applicant is telling the truth about not being a smoker.

Given the rise of people who've completely quit cigs by going to vaping, I can't see the cotinine test as a reliable way to screen for "smokers".  Smalls like a lawsuit in the making.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB