Author Topic: What do you know about RC quadcopters?  (Read 903 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
What do you know about RC quadcopters?
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:44:28 PM »
I'd like to build or buy a quadcopter that can carry a small camera. Maybe a GoPro or similar size camera. It will be for fun and not for business.

Also, can you recommend a good discussion forum for information?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:19:30 PM »
Flitetest.com for noob stuff.  Watch the videos on their youtube channel and then hit the forum.  Ft also sells diy bare bone kits.

Rcgroups.com later for more advanced stuff.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

coppertales

• friend
Re: What do you know about RC quadcopters?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »
Wife gave me a couple SYMA helicopters for Christmas.  They are inexpensive, around 20-30 bucks.  What a hoot.  They would make a good trainer for a real RC helicopter.  I have wanted one for years but I cannot afford a new hobby.  These little helicopters fit the bill now.  I have alot of fun chasing the cats around the living room....chris3

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
I'm not up to date on the quad copters, but I know they can be fun. Here's the two best forums:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/
http://www.rcgroups.com/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:09:13 AM »
This is my neighbors company - he's got pretty decent prices for the DJI quadcopters.  I've flown the original Phantom, it's extremely easy to fly.  The newer version is a little more expensive, but it's got better flight time, etc.  Both of them are easy, and a lot of fun to fly.

http://www.aerialtechnology.com/product-category/ready-to-fly/dji-rtf/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:51:09 AM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »
Smaller than what you're all talking about, but Mrs. Dual got me this for Christmas. I was planning on getting it when all the Christmas hubbub was over, but she pulled the trigger on it Christmas Eve day so I was surprised with the Amazon box yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-H107C-2-4G-Quadcopter-Camera/dp/B00EXBDWZC

It's more stable than any of the more traditional toy chopper I've played with, including co-axials, and very responsive. The gyro/inertial sensor is pretty good. You can see it working if you throttle up the quadcopter in your hand and tilt it around. (hang on tight, little bugger has a fair amount of thrust...)  Haven't tried the camera yet, but from what I've seen of POV vids on YouTube it's pretty good. I was getting some hover and decent control even in the confines of our smallish living room. There's just too much furniture around though,

I do need to figure out the trim adjustments better etc. and practice until I get good at just the basic skill of controlling it from a third person POV. I had to go on eBay before I went to bed and order a 5-pack of extra propeller blades.  :angel:

Counter-rotating blades mean opposing twists, so with the four spares included, you're going to be SOL if you break any one of the four blades twice. You can't swap them left to right.

Friend has one more like the $400-500 DJI Phantom on the website AmbulanceDriver linked to, but he's home dying from a brain tumor so I can't really ask him about it.  =(
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:59:46 AM »
A dj phantom carrying a gopro is the standard bearer for aerial photography
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:09:15 AM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:25:31 AM »
It will be for fun and not for business.

Sure, whatever you say...   =D

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
Sure, whatever you say...   =D

That business is my kind of fun!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?