Author Topic: What Do You Drink With Your Meals?  (Read 2628 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: What Do You Drink With Your Meals?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 07:29:26 AM »
Mostly water, coffee (black, no sugar), or beer.  Maybe unsweet tea if I'm at a restaurant and am not in the mood for water.

I almost never drink soda and haven't since 1998 or so.  I'll occasionally drink a glass of milk.

Chris

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
I dunno, you drop any Yankee down South on your worst winter or summer day and all of us will survive. You drop a southerner up North on our worse winter day or summer day, many probably will die.

In traffic.

Had some friends that spent a year in Minnesota.  Blizzard came through.  Only the Texans made it to work.  All the natives either wimped out or got stuck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 10:16:21 AM »
In traffic.

Had some friends that spent a year in Minnesota.  Blizzard came through.  Only the Texans made it to work.  All the natives either wimped out or got stuck.

Aren't Texans known to tell tall tales?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 10:29:14 AM »
Aren't Texans known to tell tall tales?

There was this one time when it was eight hunnert 'n three degrees out...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »
water or coffee, milk with dinner.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
If not water, then usually unsweetened iced tea, or Canada Dry seltzer,  I cannot abide sweetened tea  [barf]
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
I had no idea so many people were drinking Kool-Aid, or other drink mix thingies.

I find it not surprising in the least.   I can buy a "can" of knock-off Crystal Light for anywhere from $.99 to $1.99 at Aldi or Walmart.  That can will make six 2 quart pitchers of that flavored drink.  That works out to $0.002578125 to $0.00518229166 or less then one half a penny per ounce.  Far less then the price of any other beverage.

And one thing I've learned about APS'ers is that I'm not the only one here that can squeeze a quarter until the eagle craps. 

P.S.  While re-creating Sherman's March this summer Robert got the chance to try some good ol' Southern Sweet Tea.  After making a face that looked like he had just sucked a raw lemon, he poured it out, and went back to drinking water.    If you can make a 13 year-old say, "There's too much sugar in it.  It doesn't even taste like tea, just sugar water." then it's bad.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
I have a hard time drinking most things that have artificial sweetener, to me they taste like a middle school chemistry experiment gone bad with too much salt.

I do like to have plain old Kool-Aid in the fridge most of the time, I make it with about 3/4 sugar instead of 1 cup per package. My favorite flavors are Black Cherry and Grape.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »
P.S.  While re-creating Sherman's March this summer Robert got the chance to try some good ol' Southern Sweet Tea.  After making a face that looked like he had just sucked a raw lemon, he poured it out, and went back to drinking water.    If you can make a 13 year-old say, "There's too much sugar in it.  It doesn't even taste like tea, just sugar water." then it's bad.

Yeah, when I say I like my tea sweetened, I mean just a little bit of sugar or Stevia or something.  I can't really drink full on Southern sweet tea myself.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »
I grew up with Southern Sweet Tea, but I prefer unsweet tea.

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 02:51:47 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't even let him try that abomination unto G-d you all call "cornbread".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:26:49 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »
I have a hard time drinking most things that have artificial sweetener, to me they taste like a middle school chemistry experiment gone bad with too much salt.

Tried sucralose/maltodextrose (Splenda or generic equivalent)?  I get a bitter taste or lingering metallic aftertaste from other artificial sweeteners.  I don't get that with Splenda, though I do have to be careful how much I use as it's easy to oversweeten with it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 05:32:31 PM »
I find it not surprising in the least.   I can buy a "can" of knock-off Crystal Light for anywhere from $.99 to $1.99 at Aldi or Walmart.  That can will make six 2 quart pitchers of that flavored drink.  That works out to $0.002578125 to $0.00518229166 or less then one half a penny per ounce.  Far less then the price of any other beverage.

$0.88 for five packets of KoolAid at HEB.  Unsweetened, so I know how much sugar goes in and that it's only real cane sugar.  No HFCS, or anything I can't pronounce.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
Tried sucralose/maltodextrose (Splenda or generic equivalent)?  I get a bitter taste or lingering metallic aftertaste from other artificial sweeteners.  I don't get that with Splenda, though I do have to be careful how much I use as it's easy to oversweeten with it.

Brad

Yep tastes a little less like salt/alkali/bitter but still doesn't taste sweet and too much of that irritates/sets off my GI issues.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »
I like my beverages diluted ... my #1 drink is Ocean Spray CranGrape mixed 1 to 1 w/ either tap water or spring water, depending on my location ... 1/2 the calories, twice the hydration, lower cost ... very refreshing !

A store near me has Ocean Spray Buy one Get one Free about once a month ... I keep about 15-20 on hand in a hot garage for months w/ no problems from spoiling.
 :cool:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:22:17 PM by Chester32141 »
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce