Author Topic: Castrating Congress  (Read 1693 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Castrating Congress
« on: October 17, 2013, 12:59:20 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/10/16/Senate-Debt-Deal-Includes-Provision-Taking-Away-Congress-Power-To-Increase-Debt-Ceiling

Congress typically votes to APPROVE a debt ceiling increase.

Under new proposal, congress votes to DISAPPROVE one.  If the legislation passes, POTUS can veto it.  At which point, congress must muster 66% or greater to override the POTUS veto.

The result is bottomless purse strings. 

Here comes inflation, folks.  Hold on to your PM's and bitcoins.  It's getting to be bumpy here towards the end.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Castrating Congress
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:34:11 AM »
An end run around the COTUS if I am not mistaken.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »
It appears to have an expiration date of 2/7/2014.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:29:28 AM »
It appears to have an expiration date of 2/7/2014.

Yea that's why I'm not frothing yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 09:45:05 AM »
Yea that's why I'm not frothing yet

But they will probably try to quietly pass a bill that removes the expiration at a later time or bury deep in another bill.  =|
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »
From face book oh shucks
Look at p24.  That is the temporary part.  However, p25 the new rule (sec1002,c,2) is created to be effective 8 Feb 2014.

The BCA had a temporary debt increase, but didn't have the continuing part.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:21:28 AM »

From my FB page:

Dear GOP,

There is a reason why you are called the Stupid Party. You caved and got nothing, and likely will catch the blame for the entire govt shutdown. Also, you basically took away Congress’ power when it came to the debt ceiling and handed it to the President. Thanks for chipping away at the Constitution, yet again. And we're still apparently going to blow near a trillion dollars a year of money we don't have, and print/borrow the remainder causing significant inflation AND debt issues. Also, this whole thing neatly buried the NSA threat to the US in the media.

I'm trying to think of ways you could have done a worse job with this situation, and coming up short. Your title is richly deserved today.

I know, the official GOP position is that they successfully snagged $2.918 billion of kickback money out of the situation for the Senate Minority Leader.

*banging head repeatedly on the desk*

The nice thing about the Democratic Party is they stab you in the chest. No public displays of hypocrisy, it's straight on "Oooo, that looks like a nice place to put my knife. Chest, say hello to my little friend!" and then stabs you in the chest. Honest.

Republicans give a speech on the evils of stabbing folks, lay the morality on thick, say all the right things, say they're the party of smaller knives, less stabbings. Then stab you repeatedly in the back, while lifting your wallet.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »
From my FB page:

Dear GOP,

There is a reason why you are called the Stupid Party. You caved and got nothing, and likely will catch the blame for the entire govt shutdown. Also, you basically took away Congress’ power when it came to the debt ceiling and handed it to the President. Thanks for chipping away at the Constitution, yet again. And we're still apparently going to blow near a trillion dollars a year of money we don't have, and print/borrow the remainder causing significant inflation AND debt issues. Also, this whole thing neatly buried the NSA threat to the US in the media.

I'm trying to think of ways you could have done a worse job with this situation, and coming up short. Your title is richly deserved today.

I know, the official GOP position is that they successfully snagged $2.918 billion of kickback money out of the situation for the Senate Minority Leader.

The nice thing about the Democratic Party is they stab you in the chest. No public displays of hypocrisy, it's straight on "Oooo, that looks like a nice place to put my knife. Chest, say hello to my little friend!" and then stabs you in the chest. Honest.

Republicans give a speech on the evils of stabbing folks, lay the morality on thick, say all the right things, say they're the party of smaller knives, less stabbings. Then stab you repeatedly in the back, while lifting your wallet.

Oh, come now. Mitch "Brutus" McConnell gets help for re-election out of this, in addition to the $3B for the already-over budget and schedule dam project. Surely that's enough of a silver lining.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
An end run around the COTUS if I am not mistaken.

Another of many more to come.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
McConnell is happy to have gotten his 30 3billion pieces of sliver.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 12:09:25 PM »
From my FB page:

Dear GOP,

Seriously, Revdisk; send this to the GOP!  Really.  They deserve it.  
Engrave it on the nose of a MOAB*     >:D

*MOAB: Mother Of All Bombs.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero