Author Topic: Interesting way to start the morning  (Read 730 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Interesting way to start the morning
« on: September 23, 2017, 07:31:52 PM »
Arrived at work Tuesday morning, met our IT guy in the parking lot and walked in with him.  Each of us badged in, then I looked over toward the mail room alcove.  Saw this cute little guy on the floor.

Yep, a baby copperhead.  He met his demise when I attempted to trap him with a small trash can.
Not the first time we've found snakes in the building.  Probably won't be the last.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Interesting way to start the morning
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:47:03 PM »
This week we found two copperheads on the porch. One baby and one (nasty) adult. The baby got away before I could nail it with my sharp pointy thing, but I managed to pin the adult with a shovel and chop it's head off with the machete.

The adult scared the *expletive deleted*it out of me. It was hiding under a rectangle oil pan that we use for all sorts of stuff. I went to move it and there's a pissed off copperhead only a couple feet away from my tank top/shorts and flip flop attired self.  :O

and, because the bastards are on the porch, I can't just shoot them.  :mad:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 08:17:35 PM »
Rat shot from a .22?  Little harm to woodwork.  Depending on range.  Hit more likely than with a bulleted round anyhow.  .38 rat shot is a bit much for close range.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:44:11 PM »
Rat shot from a .22?  Little harm to woodwork.  Depending on range.  Hit more likely than with a bulleted round anyhow.  .38 rat shot is a bit much for close range.

It's not the wood that concerns me or even potential damage, really. Our porch is a wooden deck over a concrete block base with the steps, so ricochets are a concern especially with something as weak as .38 snake shot (which we have a box of). Plus, my car is parked close enough to get hit if the snakes in the wrong spot. It may be beat up, but dents from road related issues are one thing, explaining shot patterns peppered into the hood is another... I don't want to pull a You-Know-Who.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:54:18 PM »
Killed a baby copperhead on the back porch a while back.  Didn't tell the wifeypoo as she is deathly afraid of all snakes, to the point of my fearing she'll have a heart attack one day when she sees one.  She even freaks at pictures and video of snakes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:21:44 PM »
A shovel is a pretty good tool for snakes anyway.  A little tougher on a hard surface.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge