Author Topic: Oops!  (Read 1150 times)

Preacherman

Oops!
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:20:35 PM »
A Thai Airways Boeing 747 amputated the tail of an Air France regional jet in Spain on July 15.

News report from MCOT, Thailand ( http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=23353 ):

Ill-fated THAI flight to arrive Bangkok after Spanish incident

BANGKOK, July 16 (TNA) -- A Thai Airways International (THAI) plane which accidentally collided on Saturday with a parked aircraft belonging to Air France at Spain's Madrid airport will arrive at Don Muang International Airport Sunday evening.

Flying Officer Surapol Isarangkul Na Ayutthaya, director of the THAI Crisis Management and Operations Centre, said the pre-takeoff accident occurred as a THAI Boeing 747-400 with 240 passengers was taxiing on a runway at Madrid airport, about to depart for Bangkok, when its right wingtip struck the wing of a stationary Fokker aircraft belonging to the French national carrier.

Aviation authorities are conducting an investigation into the accident.

There were no casualties in the incident, but some of the 240 passengers deplaned and continued their journey with other airlines, according to a THAI statement.

Repairs on the THAI aircraft were completed and the flight is due to arrive at Bangkok's Don Muang International Airport at 6pm today, according to Flying Officer Surapol.

Oops, indeed! Cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

griz

• friend
Oops!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 04:25:08 PM »
Looks as if he tried to park it in the compacts only lot Smiley
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

grampster

• friend
Oops!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 05:01:02 PM »
Kinda puts a new spin on "Gettin' some tail." cheesy
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Oops!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 06:14:25 PM »
Doesn't it seem ironic for a Thai to finally be tearing off a piece of French tail?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Oops!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 01:00:15 AM »
ZEE PLANE!! ZEE PLANE!!

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Leatherneck

• friend
Oops!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 03:46:12 AM »
Somehow I knew it would be the right wing of the 747: the captain can't see that side, and it's the responsibility of the first officer in the right seat to clear that side of the aircraft. I sure hope they did a structural inspection before they flew home!

TC
TC
RT Refugee

mfree

• friend
Oops!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 04:24:09 AM »
Wow. He hit that Fokker pretty hard.

Stickjockey

• friend
Oops!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 04:56:01 AM »
Somehow I knew it would be the right wing of the 747: the captain can't see that side, and it's the responsibility of the first officer in the right seat to clear that side of the aircraft.
Actually, a Northwest Airbus did this same thing to one of our Dash-8's last year with the left (Captain's side) wing. there's not much visibility backward at all from those flight decks.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Oops!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 05:13:01 PM »
Looks more like an Embraer RJ to me rather than a Fokker.

I saw a similar event last year at JFK.  An Alitalia 767 and an Airbus 340 (from somewhere) swapped some paint while taxiing out for takeoff from 31L.  The 340 was the loser; it's right wing tip and winglet were dangling from the wing as it taxied by us.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Oops!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 06:42:59 PM »
THAI Boeing 747-400 with 240 passengers was taxiing on a runway at Madrid airport, about to depart for Bangkok, when its right wingtip struck the wing {tore the tail off} of a stationary Fokker aircraft
An Alitalia 767 and an Airbus 340 (from somewhere) swapped some paint ... The 340 was the loser; it's right wing tip and winglet were dangling from the wing
2 for 2

That's right, good ol' American aircraft knowhow shows the Euroweanies who da man.

Suck it Frenchie!

Wink
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Preacherman

Oops!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 11:37:02 PM »
Fly320s, you have good eyes!  That is indeed an Embraer jet.  I followed up on the story on the aviation forum where I got it, and later comments by various pilots have pointed out that the Thai story is incorrect in that detail.  The registration of the plane shows it to be an Embraer.

So, does this mean that you can identify a piece of missing tail?

Wink
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Oops!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 11:32:10 AM »
Identify tail?  Well, I don't know about that, but I do enjoy watching.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?