Author Topic: Ban Proposed On Walking While Talking, Listening To iPod  (Read 1399 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Ban Proposed On Walking While Talking, Listening To iPod
« on: February 07, 2007, 05:49:31 AM »
Yes, it is real.
http://www.wnbc.com/news/10948106/detail.html
A state senator from Brooklyn said on Tuesday he plans to introduce legislation that would ban people from using an MP3 player, cell phone, Blackberry or any other electronic device while crossing the street in either New York City or Buffalo.

NewsChannel 4 reported that Sen. Carl Kruger is proposing the ban in response to two recent pedestrian deaths in his district, including a 23-year-old man who was struck and killed last month while listening to his iPod on Avenue T and East 71st Street In Bergen Beach.

"While people are tuning into their iPods and cell phones, they're tuning out the world around them," Kruger said. The proposed law would make talking on cell phones while crossing the street a comparable offense to jaywalking.

Some pedestrians said they were not worried about their safety while using their electronic devices while walking.

"I look for the light," said Venus Montes of Williamsburg.

"I'm still looking," said Lance Gordon of Far Rockaway. "It's not like I'm not paying attention."

Others said the proposed ban would not work.

"I don't think anyone's going to be up for this," said Patricia Lewis of Staten Island. "I don't think anyone wants this."

Other pedestrians said they thought the proposal was a good idea.

"It's too dangerous," said Nicole Lake of Jersey City. "Drivers don't pay attention and pedestrians don't pay attention."

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Ban Proposed On Walking While Talking, Listening To iPod
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 06:17:30 AM »
Ah, yes, protecting people from themselves.

NYC is becoming a failed ant-farm.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 06:41:47 AM »
I completely agree with the sentiments behind the ban proposal, however I think Natural Selection would take care of things nicely.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 07:37:16 AM »
You can have my iPod and necker-backers when you pry them from my cold, dead hands and cold, dead ears, respectively!

~GnSx

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 07:42:22 AM »
Aren't you at greater risk of choking if you talk while eating?  Better ban that, too. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 07:43:36 AM »
I think the law should only apply to women.  Women use the "ipod excuse" when I am attempting to chat them up at the gym. grin police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 09:31:53 AM »
Why does the gooberment always want to protect people from their own stupidity?
Andy

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »
Next step, helmets for pedistrians. rolleyes
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

slzy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 09:56:49 AM »
does this mean the hearing impaired[the citizens formerly known as deaf] will have to stay inside?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 10:47:49 AM »
I spent years as a bike messenger in NYC, the people in NY really are to stupid to look both ways and see if there is a vehicle coming!
I hit a bunch of pedestrians, the last one, I was flying down a hill,in the rain and this lady
ran into traffic ...with her hands over her eyes!....(the mid-town equivalent of sticking your head in the sand)
The law is stupid, and so are NY'ers
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 05:58:05 PM »
Satire is dead.
D. R. ZINN