Author Topic: Model Rockets  (Read 11185 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Model Rockets
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 02:03:33 PM »
I only launched one or two of my own cheap starter models as a kid.  I think they were all lost or destroyed due to poor planning.

Now I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all the instruction manuals for payload rockets specify that no living things except maybe insects be used as payloads.  One time I was out on the farm with someone who launched a rocket with a live, non-insect payload.  Yuri the mouse didn't seem to particularly enjoy his trip, but he survived.  The first launch.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 02:19:56 PM »
Wasn't there a model specifically designed for carrying a mouse or a gerbil up and back down safely?

I tended to prefer small (well, smallish...   angel ) payloads of black powder wrapped up in tissue paper.  Swap out the parachute for the powder, and when the engine fires its charge to eject the 'chute you get a real nice poof and a big cloud of smoke.  I found that the key to a good kaboom was to glue down the nose cone after loading in the black powder, otherwise most of the powder was ejected out the top of the rocket before igniting.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »
Wasn't there a model specifically designed for carrying a mouse or a gerbil up and back down safely?

I heard that one was a favorite of Richard Gere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 02:27:50 PM »
Cardboard cone to stabilize a 16 penny nail superglued point first onto a large pistol primer, then filled with homemade black powder.

C-engine, electrical igniters

PVC pipe launch tube, foam shoulder rest and rudimentary aluminum sights, with 9V battery and electronic push-button ignition with alligator-clipped foil-armored wiring.

I'm Mr. Bad Example...  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

mfree

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 02:31:37 PM »
"I'm Mr. Bad Example...  "

Yup Smiley let's make sure that...ah.... doesn't actually happen.

Honestly though, I've witnessed several CATOs* with Estes engines. I wouldn't trust them for that work, lest what I was holding go off whilst holding...

*CATO: Catastrophe At Take Off. More than likely cracked grains, pressure rise... BOOM, confetti. or in one case, enough to split the engine case and jsut burst into flames on the pad.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 02:36:10 PM »
Too...many...hobbies......must ...resist.....  undecided
The Estes Alpha III Kit is less than 25 bucks, and includes everything you need.  Do it. 
NOOOOO!!! That's where it STARTS! Next thing you know it's in the thousands!  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 03:01:16 PM »
280-  Exactly

I satisfy my pyro urges by being charge of the 4th of July fireworks where I live, I'm on year 3 and no one is kicking me off. It cool I get to drool over all sorts of catalogs, I have a ATF license to purchase and display and someone else pays for it. Smiley  no "E" engine can match a 8" shell that you hand light.

For the other times of the year I'm saving up for a Mountain Howitzer so I tell myself that everytime I walk by the Estes in the hobby stores.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Strings

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 03:37:03 PM »
I build and launch for younger relatives. The ones with multiple recovery parts (several gliders, ans the booster) are especially fun...

Maser

• friend
    • The Teen Guns Forum
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »
I used to be into model rockets when I was little.  I used to love to put C engines in the tiny rockets that were only made for an A.  I remember a friend of mine had this rocket that was like 7 feet tall and took a D engine. That thing flew way high. I didn't think it would go that high.
Why must life be so hard? Why must I cry? Why must I be so wrong? Why must I die?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 03:55:04 PM »
280-  Exactly
I know cause that's how my gun collection got started. I was just going to buy the one...  laugh

I just tallied and from one I'm now at 15 with an initial layout totaling ~ $8000  shocked

But it's been a while now since I bought one ...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 04:57:11 PM »
280-  Exactly
I know cause that's how my gun collection got started. I was just going to buy the one...  laugh

I just tallied and from one I'm now at 15 with an initial layout totaling ~ $8000  shocked

But it's been a while now since I bought one ...  grin

I'm 32 years old and I have 17 firearms Tongue

hopefully a soon a 12 lb cannon to join it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 07:57:43 PM »
<---------  Look over there.

IIRC, if you're willing to get a LEUP and go for your Tripoli cert, there are engines and classes much, much bigger than E. Composite propellant motors go up to K size commercially, and those folks get to play with carbon fiber, kevlar, altitude keyed electronic ejection, all manner of neat stuff.

But, I chose to make my home in a city-filled VALLEY surrounded by MOUNTAINS. Nowhere to play! *grumble*.

Actually, commercial composite motors are available in the 'N' range for Level 3 flyers.

Both Tripoli and the NAR offer certifications up to Level 3 that are recognized by both organizations.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 08:02:20 PM »

Interesting. I may try it "on the cheap" this summer.

How small can you build rockets? What are th smallest engines you can use? How much land do you need to launch the rockets?

There used to be a company that made micro rockets, but I have forgotten their name.  They were essentially downscaled Estes rockets with tiny black powder engines.  Pretty cool gadgets.  You could fly them in your back yard.
I don't know if they are still around.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 08:05:31 PM »
I'm sure I've still got a launchpad or two and some engines packed away somewhere.  What's the shelf life of rocket engines?  I might have to slap together a rocket and light up a few.

Did anyone ever use one of those rockets with the camera in it?  If so, did it work?

<------- Mine is bigger than yours!  <neener>

The shelf life of a black powder engine is measured in years.  As long as they have not been exposed to temperature extremes, frozen, or dropped, they should still be usable.

The camera rockets worked well when properly flown.  I've seen a lot of pictures from them over the years.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Incidentally, yonder rocket I'm standing next to is a 2/3 scale Astrobee D sounding rocket, designed to fly on I, J and K motors.
Crunched it pretty good the last time I flew it, though.  It's awaiting a rebuild.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 03:29:16 AM »
When I was a kid, I played with model rockets . . . never sent one up without some sort of warhead.  shocked

In high school, some of us almost got into it again. A buddy had bought himself a Valiant Dart (One side said Dodge Dart, the other said Plymouth Valiant. He bought the car brand new . . . ) with a six cylinder engine. There was SO much space under the hood with that itty bitty motor in a big engine compartment, we figured we could fit in a couple of launching rails, hinge a section of the grille, and outfit his car to fire rockets out the front like James Bond.

He agreed, too . . . but once he was through with the beer we'd been drinking, the next morning he changed his mind.  sad
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 04:26:09 AM »
Got into it  a few yrs ago. Had a piece of aluminum plate with a steel rod  for a launch pad, speaker wire with alligator clips and Ford Bronco with the hood up for a launch system. Worked fine if I didn't misjudge the wind! Used kit rockets, still have a R2-D2 kit someplace in the basement. Gotta catch a relatively still day and see if that think will actually fly.  Wanna do a scratch build this summer. Lotta fun!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 05:16:27 AM »
speaker wire with alligator clips and Ford Bronco with the hood up for a launch system.

That's too funny -- it's exactly (right down to the Bronco) what I used to use instead of the weak little AA battery launch controller.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 06:04:20 AM »
so what do the larger engines cost? 

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 06:26:08 AM »
Local hobby shop has 3 packs of D & E size engines for 12-13 dollars.

Unfortunately, I realized just how fast I could burn money running a 2 stage E rocket.

But DAMN did that thing fly.

Scratch build, too.  Light as possible, balsa, cardboard, and plastic nosecone. 

You had to be quick to be able to track it.  I'll need to see if I can find a relatively cheap, lightweight altimeter unit to stick in it. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 06:39:33 AM »
Are any rocket motors equipped with tracking smoke? 

You know, a nice red or yellow smoke trail to make tracking easier.  Or maybe design it so that the smoke generator starts when the 'chute/streamer pops.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2007, 06:44:06 AM »
I think most single stage motors have a tracking/delay charge that fires some smoke right before the chute goes.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2007, 09:54:37 AM »
Estes engines are classed by letter, followed by (IIRC) the output in newton-meters, dash, the number of seconds after burnout before the ejection charge blows.

i.e. a C5-3 engine waits three seconds after burnout before the eject charge hits.

While in delay, it's burning a squib charge that makes a white plume for tracking.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2007, 11:25:07 AM »

<------- Mine is bigger than yours!  <neener>

Now that's a rocket!   shocked

The biggest one I ever made was only about 3ft tall with two stages.  Most were much smaller.
For entertainment purposes only.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
Spent C motor case+Live C motor+duct tape+FFFg+Fiberglass antenna tube big enough for the package to fit in=tons of airburst fun!

Duct tape+D motor+old hunting arrows+angle iron launcher=medevial rain somewhere past your property line.  grin

I should take up that hobby agian considering my current abode has an excellent vantage point and lots of clear space.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.