Author Topic: PSA - 10/23/2019 Chrome update Win10 compatibility issues ("Aw Snap" error)  (Read 868 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Chrome is my primary browser but this morning I came in to a bunch of "Aw Snap, Can't Load That Page" messages. Appears to be an issue related to this morning's Chrome app update. If the Chrome user forum is any indication, it's hosed Win10 compatibility for more than a few users.

The short term solution seems simple enough... right click on the Chrome icon, go to Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and click the box in the Compatibility Mode section. Seems to be a one-shot solution as I've had to repeat the procedure each time I wanted to open Chrome. I'm dealing with that by simply having multiple tabs open that I'm pulling out into separate Windows.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
If everything were perfect, this would be heaven.  And as we all know, this ain't heaven.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
This PSA was very helpful; this is affected my wife's Win10 laptop.  Brad's suggestion fixed it while we wait for the Chrome update.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
I hope it doesn’t do this to my work computer our work order system runs exclusively on Chrome.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Looks like the root cause was an incompatibility between Chrome's latest update and Symantec EndPoint Protection (versions earlier than 14.2). The university released their "approved" SEP 14.2 package this morning. A quick download & install later, everything is back to normal.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB