Author Topic: Artillery Folks - Benghazi Mortar Fire?  (Read 1303 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Artillery Folks - Benghazi Mortar Fire?
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
I hadn't heard this story regarding the accuracy of the mortar rounds before. Can any of our artillery folks comment?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/08/evidence-casts-doubt-on-ex-cia-leaders-claims-on-benghazi-mortar-attack/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Artillery Folks - Benghazi Mortar Fire?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »
I'm not an 11C, but I worked with them a bit back in the day.

That article's description sounds like a pretty good, but not great, team with an observer calling fire.  The rate of fire does indicate preped rounds and the knowledge and ability to hang rounds quickly once the target is dialed in.  Since we don't know the actual range, and the article is unclear on the actual size of the target, and no mention of which weapons system might have been used it's hard to say exactly how good they would have had to be, but they definitely had some training, some practice, and had worked with an observer before.  Prolly not pissed off farmers that found a tube in the desert and did this on a whim.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 02:13:02 PM »
I'm not an 11C either, but we used to practice Call for Fire (Mortars and Artillery) all the time.

Yes, you could put a small (82mm) mortar, like this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/82-PM-37, in truck, weld the baseplate to the bed. Or tow it behind at truck  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2B9_Vasilek.  Hell, we mounted 4.2 Inch Mortars in M113s.  And we have Strykers that carry 120mm Mortars.   Yes, it can be easily done.  

I'm going to guess it was a Soviet era mortar, since that's what would have been fairly plentiful in Libya at that time.

If you have a GPS system to plot where the tube is, the firing tables for the rounds or someone that can so some advanced math (Trig), an observer, and a half-way trained crew; it's not that hard to put rounds on target.  You are talking about hitting a decent sized building not dropping one in a pickle barrel.

How fast can they hang and fire?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io3NHBKQSQ4

Here's some Illinois Nasty Guardsman, taking their sweet time about it, and they four rounds off in under a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkcQ9b7Ot0

So yes, AQ would have had to pre-plan at least a day in advance to plot the firing.  Then you need a good crew.  Our Mortar crews are good at "Hip-shoots", but that's because we practice all the time.  

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:23:02 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »
Can we please stop saying "pre-plan?"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 05:07:06 PM »
Can we please stop saying "pre-plan?"

You haven't been in the military I presume? No way we're planning crap without first meeting to plan who is responsible for executing the planning, planning the execution, publishing the plan, monitoring the plan, planning the monitoring, etc. A particularly foresightful command will additionally plan who to blame.

ETA: I forgot the eternal Benghazi answer. ATPWDIM?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 05:17:48 PM »
What kind of idiot brings mortars to a protest against a video?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »
Interesting but irrelevant.  Someone needs to ask why the defenders flipped on a laser designator aimed at the mortars that eventually killed them.  A laser designator is not a cool flashlight.  It is used only with the expectation that an overhead asset will use laser seeking munitions.  Yet we are told there were no armed overhead assets on scene.  Someone is a liar.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon