Author Topic: Police Officer Suspended for Buying Chick-Fil-A  (Read 8299 times)

HankB

• friend
Police Officer Suspended for Buying Chick-Fil-A
« on: August 09, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »
Dallas police officer brings a Chick-Fil-A sandwich to the briefing room. Two lesbian officers object, he gets suspended & transferred.

Allegations are that he said/did something to offend the lesbian officers, but the story doesn't give any specific information as to what he may have done (if anything) beyond patronizing the "wrong" fast food joint.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/19231394/officers-chick-fil-a-comments-investigated?clienttype=printable#ixzz232r46MeK
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Police Officer Suspended for Buying Chick-Fil-A
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
Employee transfered to new department after making workplace inappropriate comments!  Film at 11!

A department spokesperson says the issue is not whether the sergeant brought the sandwich into the substation, but whether inappropriate comments were exchanged between him and the two female officers while on duty. [more]

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »
If all the cop did to offend the two Lebanese women was to bring in a sandwich, then we as a society are really beyond repair.

There was Milwaukee police captain who was relieved of his command just a few years ago because he used the word "thugs" in a pep talk email to his officers. His precinct was in the ghetto, so it was assumed that he was referring to black people as "thugs". That was it. No other cause.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
If all the cop did to offend the two Lebanese women was to bring in a sandwich, then we as a society are really beyond repair.

Dick, the department has explicitly said this is not the case.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
Hmmm.... Bring controversial item into a room where you know two people will be offended/make comment, alloeing you to bring up the subject.
Verbal garbage ensues.

Sounds like a case of IRL trolling at work.  ;/

Shame on officer busy boy for trolling. Shame on the lesbian officers for rising to troll bait.

The transfer sounds more like sepperating the bratty children that can't get along, rather then a real situation.

I'm getting really, really sick of this attitude of "let's run to mommy because the boys where PICKING on me." rather then acknowledging that there will be trials when you are joining the boys club, and the best way to deal with it is to hold your own.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »
Way too little information to make a judgement.

He might have just brought the sandwich in and then responded in kind when the two female officers jumped all over him for it, or he may have brought it in and intentionally made an issue of it.

Either way ... stupid reason to argue.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »
Hmmm.... Bring controversial item

Interesting way to refer to a chicken sandwich.  Next, it will be the officer who wears a St Michael's medal who "brings a controversial item."

=================

Folks have to remember that DPD is the worst-paid, most "affirmatively active," and most political of the DFW metro LEO agencies.  IOW, DPD gets the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel of LEO-certified folks who want to carry tin.

DPD officers are always in the news for Stupid LEO Tricks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:46:56 PM »
Hmmm.... Bring controversial item into a room where you know two people will be offended

If a person finds someone else's lunch offensive, they aren't fit to be police officers.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
Hmmm.... Bring controversial item into a room where you know two people will be offended/make comment, alloeing you to bring up the subject.
Forgot to address this.

Does the same thing go for people who bring in Oreos?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »
Interesting way to refer to a chicken sandwich.  Next, it will be the officer who wears a St Michael's medal who "brings a controversial item."

=================

Folks have to remember that DPD is the worst-paid, most "affirmatively active," and most political of the DFW metro LEO agencies.  IOW, DPD gets the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel of LEO-certified folks who want to carry tin.

DPD officers are always in the news for Stupid LEO Tricks.

Meh. In this case it was a controversial item. The fact that it was a chicken sandwich is secondary to the fact that the brand had caused nationwide debate.

Regardless of the item, it is inappropriate to start such fights at work. Being that it WAS a chicken sandwich and the officer has a right/need to eat at work, ladies with their panties in a twist should have just ignored it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »
Forgot to address this.

Does the same thing go for people who bring in Oreos?

Depends. Do you regualarly make racial comments using the word "Oreo" to someone at work?

The object isn't the point. It becomes controversial when someone makes it so. Being so literal minded about the subject to get snarky with someone who agrees with you is just snotty.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »
Depends. Do you regualarly make racial comments using the word "Oreo" to someone at work?
Actually I was referring to the recent rainbow Oreo advertisement:

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 04:06:59 PM »
the fact that the brand had caused nationwide debate.

Umm, I'm sorry but no, this is not true.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
Actually I was referring to the recent rainbow Oreo advertisement:

Want! Yummy. Extra frosting.

Umm, I'm sorry but no, this is not true.

Ummmm? Where were you last week?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »
Want! Yummy. Extra frosting.
Yeah, but it isn't real.

Point being, if someone brings Oreos or Chick-Fil-A to work, it isn't in and of itself controversial.  If someone decides to make an issue out of it (either the person who brought it or someone else) then that person needs to grow up.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »
Yeah, but it isn't real.

Point being, if someone brings Oreos or Chick-Fil-A to work, it isn't in and of itself controversial.  If someone decides to make an issue out of it (either the person who brought it or someone else) then that person needs to grow up.

So, basically we were making the same damn point?
That the controversy is in the eye of the beholder?

:facepalm:

Seriously, this is why I don't post over here. The nitpicking and refusal to actually read and understand what someone is posting is rediculous.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
Ummmm? Where were you last week?

Virginia Beach

I actually inadvertently took part in Chick-fil-A appreciation day, having no clue what was up as I was on vacation and unplugged.  I am since enlightened.

I don't think you are representing the facts fairly if you are placing any blame on the "brand" or anyone at the organizations for "causing a nationwide debate".
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
consulting my crystal ball, I see
the officer bringing in a chick-fil-a bag and
asking the 2 officers if they would make out while he ate his sammich.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 04:58:01 PM »
So, basically we were making the same damn point?
That the controversy is in the eye of the beholder?
Sorry, BSL. 

I misread your initial post as saying that:
1. That the food was inherently controversial
2. That the officer should not have brought the food in because someone might have been offended.
Seriously, this is why I don't post over here. The nitpicking and refusal to actually read and understand what someone is posting is rediculous.
You do know you're on the internet, right?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »

Indeed.

Heck, the title of this thread states that a "police officer suspended for buying Chick-Fil-A".

*Reads aricles*  Lets see here.  Was the officer suspended?  Well, no.  Was he suspended or disciplined for buying a product.  Well, no.  Was it a result of a chicken sandwich?  Well, no.

If you're going to get self-righteous about the decline of society blah blah blah at least read the *expletive deleted*ing article.

What actually happened? Police officer transferred pending investigation into workplace inappropriate remarks. Which is exactly what should happen.  There's plenty of things to be outraged about -- this isn't one.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »
The culture warriors on both sides can't let the damn chicken sandwich issue die.  

Neither the R's or the D's have a candidate worth getting getting exited about, we'll be seeing more of this crap to keep the base of each party engaged.  

FTR, I am pro gay marriage, but I go to chick-fil-a mainly because they have the cleanest indoor playgrounds around here.  (An important consideration when you have two toddlers who need to blow off steam, and it is 116° outside).  I also like the Spicy Deluxe chicken sandwich and the the fact that every single employee I have ever dealt with has been courteous and friendly.  
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 05:32:49 PM »

What actually happened? Police officer transferred pending investigation into workplace inappropriate remarks. Which is exactly what should happen

or

"The bottom line is we had a sergeant who has been transferred because he brought a Chick-fil-A sandwich to work. And he was transferred without due process," Pinkston said.

Unless there were a lot of witnesses, it comes down to he said/she said.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 06:49:48 PM »
Meh. In this case it was a controversial item. The fact that it was a chicken sandwich is secondary to the fact that the brand had caused nationwide debate.

No, the brand hasn't caused nationwide debate.  Certain parties deliberately whipped up controversy where there was none before.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 06:57:46 PM »
or

Unless there were a lot of witnesses, it comes down to he said/she said the race of the male sergeant.

If the sergeant is black, he will likely come out on top.  If he is white or hispanic, his odds are not so good. 

This is due to DPD politics:
black > homosexual > hispanic > white/oriental
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »
consulting my crystal ball, I see
the officer bringing in a chick-fil-a bag and
asking the 2 officers if they would make out while he ate his sammich.

That would be pure win and I'd buy him another.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”