Author Topic: Just bought a new hole to throw my money down....  (Read 3587 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Just bought a new hole to throw my money down....
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:25:14 AM »
Yep.  Just went out yesterday and picked up a Ruger 10/22.  Basic carbine model, nothing fancy, no frills. 

Then this morning for kicks and giggles I went onto MidwayUSA to check what kind of aftermarket stuff they had available.

YE FLIPPING GODS!!!!!!!!

I mean, yeah, I knew there was a lot of stuff, but holy crap!

Apparently, a rebarrel of this rifle is almost as easy as a magazine change and doesn't take much longer...  Need a new bolt?  Drop in.  Heck, if you can buy a bare finished receiver, you can buy the rest of the gun at Midway and make it a completely custom beastie!!!!

grin
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

esheato

• friend
Re: Just bought a new hole to throw my money down....
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:27:29 AM »
Apparently, a rebarrel of this rifle is almost as easy as a magazine change and doesn't take much longer.

It really is that easy.

Be careful though...the 10/22 money pit is very deep my friend.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:30:01 AM »
Plus it is cheap to feed.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 06:35:02 AM »
I'm in the process of modifying my old 10/22 carbine I bought in high school to the spec I want for an appleseed shoot.  Tech sights, auto bolt release, and larger sling swivels so it can use a military web sling.

Then I am going to decide if I want a better barrel or not.  Then..  maybe some trigger work..  fancy extractor, possibly a stock. Dear god somebody stop me.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 06:39:57 AM »
I'm glad I bought a stainless, laminate Marlin 66 long-barrel. Less you can do to it. I just have a matching scope on it. Smiley

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 06:42:17 AM »
Have two of em back at the house.  One the wife brought into the marriage and the other I got when my Dad passed away.  Both are unmodified and will probably stay that way.  They are for the children.  Gee an excuse for me to go buy another one. grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 06:52:13 AM »
My 10/22 has very few original parts.  The few that are left are modified.

It's a tackdriver though.

Chris

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 07:58:10 AM »
I sold mine.  It wasn't very accurate and it slam fired for some reason.  I took it apart with the intention of fixing it, but just never got around to it.  Sold it to a gun store manager who likes fixing guns.

I plan to get another one at some point as I have to imagine the last one was just a fluke.

Also, by not very accurate, I mean really really inaccurate and was not consistently shooting to the same point at all.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 08:08:06 AM »
Here's my 10/22 . . .

* Purchased in the early '80s for $93
* Volquartsen hammer brought trigger pull down to 2 1/4 lbs, but with some creep. Also added a VQ bolt release. (Both from MidwayUSA)
* Volquartsen THM carbon-fiber wrapped barrel (Sale at MidwayUSA)
* Richards Microfit "Tac-Driver" stock, finished with pure tung oil
* Zebrawood buttplate
* Pillar bedded & glass bedded
* Polished bolt and recoil spring guide

Did all the work myself - finished & final inletted the stock, bedding, made a pillar, fitted the buttplate, installed barrel and hammer . . . if I were starting all over I might do a few things a little differently, but it's not bad for a first build.

Function is perfect, and with Fiocchi match ammo, it will put 10 rounds into less than 1/2" at 100 yards. Looking forward to trying Eley and Lapua ammo.  grin

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:18:41 AM »
Apparently, a rebarrel of this rifle is almost as easy as a magazine change and doesn't take much longer.

Don't worry.  Removing the magazine is tricky at first, but after a little practice, you will be able to do it in less than an hour.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:51:10 AM »
The 10/22 is a marvel of plug-and-play.  The only thing original on mine is just the receiver, bolt, and trigger housing:

Accuracy can be wonderful, as seen in this one target while playing with yet another variety of ammo:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 02:27:52 PM »
10/22s are great.  I had a nice little stainless that was obviously too light and fun to shoot (except for the stock trigger), so I turned it into a heavy, squirrel-sniping beast.  I've been trying to decide whether to build another smaller, lighter one or just get a Browning.
For entertainment purposes only.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »
10/22s are great.  I had a nice little stainless that was obviously too light and fun to shoot (except for the stock trigger), so I turned it into a heavy, squirrel-sniping beast.  I've been trying to decide whether to build another smaller, lighter one or just get a Browning.

You want light? Look into a 10/22 with a Tactical Solutions barrel and a lightweight synthetic stock (like a Corelight). Extremely lightweight, even lighter than a stock 10/22 carbine. That's going to be my next 10/22 purchase...my dealer has one. I'm going to get one with a threaded barrel for later use as a nice suppressor host.

I've already got a Walmart Special 10/22 (full size stock and 22 inch SS barrel).

Get a Butler Creek magazine loader...it actually works quite well, and prevents sore thumbs. For high cap mags, Tactical Innovations mags are best (polymer and aluminum versions available, can be disassembled for cleaning). Next best are Butler Creek steel lips and hot lips mags, but they cannot be taken apart for cleaning. Avoid Ramline magazines, they are junk, as are the Promag drums...

Welcome to the 10/22 jungle, Ambulance Driver. It's a hell of a lot of fun. You should look into TechSIGHTs if you want irons, or maybe get a reddot scope for fun plinking. Have fun, and remember, you can do all of the work yourself without a problem. It's extremely easy. Get thee over to RimfireCentral.com for the poop on the 10/22.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 04:09:40 AM »
Nonononono!!!  You all are supposed to be telling me how hard it really is, that the rebarrel isn't just two allen screws but you need to make sure to have a sacrificial goat and/or virgin to make sure everything aligns correctly....  Smiley

I took it to the range yesterday...  I slapped a Bushnell 3x9 on there for the Appleseed shoot I'm going to today, and had to sight it in, of course...  Slightly larger than MOA groups, but that was with CCI mini-mags and the fact that the scope doesn't really like to focus down at 25yds...  Tongue   If I do everything right though, it's an accurate little bugger...  More accurate than I am at least...

And yeah.  I have a feeling I'm gonna frankengun this thing...   There's just too much fun stuff for it. 

Couple of real  positives though, the trigger is *very* good for a basic carbine.  A little heavy, but the break is crisp with no creep whatsoever.  Fed 100 rounds flawlessly, from slow measured fire to rippling off 10 rounds as fast as I could (just because).  I'll have to post a range report after the Appleseed shoot this weekend....

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 05:04:53 AM »
Nonononono!!!  You all are supposed to be telling me how hard it really is, that the rebarrel isn't just two allen screws but you need to make sure to have a sacrificial goat and/or virgin to make sure everything aligns correctly....  Smiley

No.....but you do have to do those things to reassemble a Mk II pistol.... grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 05:55:08 AM »

I took it to the range yesterday...  I slapped a Bushnell 3x9 on there for the Appleseed shoot I'm going to today, and had to sight it in, of course...  Slightly larger than MOA groups, but that was with CCI mini-mags and the fact that the scope doesn't really like to focus down at 25yds...  Tongue   If I do everything right though, it's an accurate little bugger...  More accurate than I am at least...

And yeah.  I have a feeling I'm gonna frankengun this thing...   There's just too much fun stuff for it. 

Couple of real  positives though, the trigger is *very* good for a basic carbine.  A little heavy, but the break is crisp with no creep whatsoever.  Fed 100 rounds flawlessly, from slow measured fire to rippling off 10 rounds as fast as I could (just because).  I'll have to post a range report after the Appleseed shoot this weekend....

Funny thing.. at 25 yards most rimfire scopes have a parallax issue per the appleseed forums.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 06:09:10 AM »

Don't even try it, bub.  My wife is a good shoot with my her 10/22.  She will get you. 

I taught her to shoot it about four or five years ago, back when we were dating.  A couple of weeks ago, she asked if it could be her's, now.   grin
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 06:36:57 AM »

I took it to the range yesterday...  I slapped a Bushnell 3x9 on there for the Appleseed shoot I'm going to today, and had to sight it in, of course...  Slightly larger than MOA groups, but that was with CCI mini-mags and the fact that the scope doesn't really like to focus down at 25yds...  Tongue   If I do everything right though, it's an accurate little bugger...  More accurate than I am at least...

And yeah.  I have a feeling I'm gonna frankengun this thing...   There's just too much fun stuff for it. 

Funny thing.. at 25 yards most rimfire scopes have a parallax issue per the appleseed forums.

I use an airgun scope on mine.  they're made for short range shooting and have parallax adjustments. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 07:18:52 AM »
Here's mine:

It is a factory 10/22 with the following mod:
Green MTN 18" stainless fluted barrel.  This was a "second" because it was machined at .910 instead .920.  Bore is perfect and I paid all of $35 shipped from the factory
Urethane bolt buffer
Modfied Bolt: pinned firing pin, radiused rear (easier to recock hammer, better for low power rounds), jeweled side, headspaced
Mag release extension
Volquartsen hammer
Volquartsen extractor
homebrewed overtravel stop
Silhouette stock
Bushnell airgun scope with target turrets and parallax adjustment

I haven't done much shooting at 100yds other than plinking, but it'll shoot 10 round ragged one hole groups like Gewehr's gun at 50yds with bulk pack ammo (Winchester Dynapoints).  I've gone 1000rnds without a jam or other problem, even in rapid fire.

My only complaint is it's a bit heavy for field use.  One day I may send the barrel to a gunsmith and have it dovetailed for iron sights. 

Chris

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 04:49:51 AM »
Range report time!  Smiley

So after shooting only 100 rounds through this rifle, I went to an Appleseed shoot this weekend.  On day one, towards the end of the day, I started having some occasional malfunctions, mostly with failure to eject.  Was getting a bit frustrated, but finished the day.  Ammo is an issue for this rifle.  If it doesn't like the particular brand of ammo, it will still fire, but accuracy is definitely ammo-dependent.  Speaking to some of the guys at the shoot (including one that had the same rifle as I did) I found a brand of ammo that this rifle *really* likes.  Cut the group size roughly in half, if not better.  CCI Velocitors.  However, they are kinda spendy, 5/50.  That night, I found out the reason for the FTEj's I was having.  This particular line of 10/22's has a (painted?  powdercoated?) finish instead of being truly blued.  Well, that treatment includes the receiver.  Combine that with a LOT of dust getting in the action, and there's the failure rate going up.  After giving the rifle a very thorough cleaning, I took some 0000 steel wool to the inside of the receiver and removed some of that coating that had been applied.  Some had actually already rubbed off, and combined with the dust and oil, made a gnarly mess inside the receiver.

Day 2.  New ammo, no paint in the receiver, and that little rifle was good enough to qualify Rifleman on the AQT for the Appleseed shoot.  Started having a problem with feeding towards the end of the day, but that was again a dust issue.  I expect that clean, it will go right back to perfectly reliable functioning. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 04:54:24 AM »

No.....but you do have to do those things to reassemble a Mk II pistol.... grin

You also need to shout a bunch of magic words, and the magic words can't be used when children are present.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 04:56:12 AM »
Try the Volquartsen extractor.  It should clear up any FTE problems you might have.  It's inexpensive and easy to install.

While it's apart, also try a urethane bolt buffer.  It'll cut down on the noise and reduce the shock to the gun, especially when firing stuff like the Velocitors.  They're cheap too, something like $5, give or take.

Also, give it time to break in. 

BTW, all 10/22s are painted/powdercoated.  The receiver is aluminum.  I think the silver ones are merely clearcoated though.

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 05:42:45 AM »
Chris: how did you order that "factory second" barrel? Does Green Mountain (and other barrel makers for that matter) sell them direct to the public?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 06:13:31 AM »
Chris: how did you order that "factory second" barrel? Does Green Mountain (and other barrel makers for that matter) sell them direct to the public?

It was a fluke.  GM is active (or was, this was a couple years ago) on Rimfirecentral.  They posted the barrel deal and had folks call them.  It isn't something they offer on their website and I don't know that it happens all that often.   

Other than it not having any markings, you can't tell it's a "2nd".  They said the exterior diameter was undersized, but you can't tell unless you measure with a micrometer.

Chris