Author Topic: Mozilla Thunderbird Help Needed  (Read 1099 times)

Waitone

• friend
Mozilla Thunderbird Help Needed
« on: April 07, 2006, 02:51:37 PM »
About a year ago I heaved IE and Outlook Express for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird.  My problem is with Thunderbird.  I recently downloaded 1.5 and experienced the same problem as with 1.0.

Let me say this about that problem:  Occasionally emails with photos and / or graphics (from the NRA as a real ferinstance) are passed through with a small red dot instead of the photo or graphics.  Not a consistent problem.  It will vary by site and certainly not consistent within a site.  NRA sends me stuff and one day I get the dot and the next email I get the graphics.  I consulted Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5 Knowledge database and found this link http://kb.mozillazine.org/Images_in_messages_do_not_appear  which does nothing to fix my problem.

So whasup wid T-Bird?  Any friendly advice.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 04:16:01 AM »
Do you see a banner at the top of the message that says, "To protect your privacy, [yadda yadda yadda]" along with a button to the right to force Thunderbird to show the images?

You can change those settings under Preferences->Privacy->General... but keep in mind that such images can be used as "web bugs" to determine when you view a message containing them.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 02:21:14 PM »
The majic button is sometimes present and some times not.  When it is present I mash it and the graphics appear.  I am blocking Java Script but not blocking remote images--same results.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 02:35:25 PM »
I'd have to see the raw email text to figure out what was going on.

I think it's out of the realm of possibility that Thunderbird would randomly decide not to display images.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 02:42:02 PM »
My thinkin' also.  I suspect a switch somewhere is in the wrong position.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 04:04:05 PM »
Are you on a Windoze OS?

Haven't seen this running under Fedora 4.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 04:05:02 PM »
ME