Author Topic: Evidently a Good Shoot  (Read 5579 times)

Waitone

• friend
Evidently a Good Shoot
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:01:14 AM »
http://www.thestate.com/2011/07/25/1910809/hotel-clerk-kills-robber.html#storylink=omni_popular

When I first heard the story I was worried she would be thumped for packing in a hotel and/or not have a permit.  Seems all the bases were covered.  Another reports said she had a revolver.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Evidently a Good Shoot
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »
In a word...justice.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »
Law enforcement normally cautions people caught in a robbery to cooperate, Lott said. But when a situation escalates to where a victim feels their life would be in danger, the victim has to decide whether to take more drastic action, he said.

“This had escalated beyond a robbery to a sexual assault, and we don’t know what would have happened beyond that,” Lott said.

“She did the correct thing — she protected herself.”

“The lesson for robbers is, you never know when you are going to encounter someone who is armed and will protect themselves,” Lott said.

Lott declined to give some details, such as the kind of gun the woman had and where she had it concealed.

“The bottom line — he is the one who caused him to get killed,” Lott said.

If more LEO's had this mindset the hope for nationwide CCW would be strong.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:10:58 AM »
"she had absolutely no choice."

Oh yes she did. She chose to live.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
Classic example of catastrophic failure of the victim selection process.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:57:22 PM »
“The bottom line — he is the one who caused him to get killed,” Lott said.

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2011/07/25/1910809/hotel-clerk-kills-robber.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz1TKk7eOp0
I like this line.  It is something a lot of people forget.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »
" . . . catastrophic failure of the victim selection process."
I like that line!  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 04:16:39 PM »
http://www.wistv.com/story/15140008/female-motel-clerk-kills-robber

"Citizens need to be aware of their surroundings," the sheriff said. "If you see or hear anything that may be out of place or suspicious in nature, it's always best to use your better judgment and call law enforcement."

As someone pointed out to me earlier today, if there is a dead guy laying there in the kitchen because you just shot him in the chest, his being there is neither out of place nor suspicious in nature.

Now, if he was there and is no longer there, I'd say he is out of place and there is something suspicious in nature going on.  Calling the cops to report a missing zombie is probably a good thing, and the Sheriff ought to be commended for suggesting you do the right thing and notify his office about it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 06:06:56 PM »
I read elsewhere that she nailed him with a single shot from a .22. It must have taken him right in the heart ... which makes sense, since they were at contact distance and the odds are she's right-handed. If she put the gun to the left/center portion of his chest and pulled the trigger, that's what she's most likely to hit.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 08:10:35 PM »
Lott said Carson had a lengthy criminal record in New York and New Jersey and was wanted in connection with a hotel robbery in Orangeburg.

I LOL'd when I read that, he was so dang used to unarmed victims...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »
I read elsewhere that she nailed him with a single shot from a .22. It must have taken him right in the heart ... which makes sense, since they were at contact distance and the odds are she's right-handed. If she put the gun to the left/center portion of his chest and pulled the trigger, that's what she's most likely to hit.

That and I imagine a .22 with the muzzle between your ribs is going to do more damage just from the gas ball than most handgun rounds will do at range
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 08:44:21 PM »
That and I imagine a .22 with the muzzle between your ribs is going to do more damage just from the gas ball than most handgun rounds will do at range

Heartburn  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 08:49:56 PM »
Heartburn  ;)

I see what you did there!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 10:19:02 PM »
I like that line!  =D

I think it was one of Jeff Cooper's quips.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 06:50:09 PM »
Listening and reading comments from around the country, it seems the sheriff's attitude is getting as much play as the lady defending herself.  Oh, and let us not ignore the hotel owner/manager who gave the lady permission to pack on private property.  In most cases it is considered a cardinal no-no for night clerks to possess means of self protection.  A lot of common sense had to line up just right to create a happy outcome.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »
Why is it we seem to have so many shootings in SC?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 08:03:59 PM »

There are so many things to shoot  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 11:35:44 PM »

ISTR a detailed account of an officer-involved shooting back in the .38 days where a single .38Spl LRN did an insane amount of damage because it was fired from muzzle contact and the gases essentially inflated the wound channel.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »

We prefer our criminals dead or dying down here rather than continuing to steal oxygen.

There are also more and more people getting CCW permits here. Many people I know either have them are in the process of getting them.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 11:28:18 AM »
We prefer our criminals dead or dying down here rather than continuing to steal oxygen.

There are also more and more people getting CCW permits here. Many people I know either have them are in the process of getting them.

I have found this to be true in my AO as well. It's encouraging.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.