Author Topic: So I'm Out Looking for Alternatives to Netflix Streaming . . .  (Read 1000 times)

Waitone

• friend
So I'm Out Looking for Alternatives to Netflix Streaming . . .
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
and I come on the news Netflix is spinning off its DVD business to Quickster, the home of Sponge Bob Square Pants.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/techchron/2011/09/19/netflix-ceo-admits-mistake-introduces-dvd-service-qwikster/

So lemme see if I got it right.  Netflix PO's its customer base because it force said customer base to choose between streaming video with inferior content and a substantial DVD selection OR accept a 60%+ price increase.  4% of the customer base leaves immediately and shareholder value drops by 50%.  The CEO will not admit to screwing up but does say he just didn't explain it properly.  So he does a double down on the streaming business (the one with the inferior content selection) and sells off the DVD business to Sponge Bob Square Pants.

This one will show up in case studies in B-schools.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: So I'm Out Looking for Alternatives to Netflix Streaming . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
you basically have it.

I still fail to see what they hope to accomplish with the change. If anything, it takes away the one reason people stayed with them. If you have to deal with two companies, two payments, etc....there's no reason to not shop around.

As to the streaming alternative, I've been seriously considering amazon prime. Sadly, it doesn't have as much content.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »
Perhaps they are following the Blockbuster business model....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:31:52 PM »
Okay, so I logged on to Netflix today to drop my account to streaming plus 1 DVD at a time because of the price increase.  Today is the billing day for my account.

Now, I log on here and find out about the account splitting into 2 accounts.  Is Hastings bat-*expletive deleted*ing nuts?  I figure I'll give it a month until my next billing day to evaluate whether I want to keep Netflix at all.  They've lost their minds.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:54:21 PM »
Anyone know anything about http://www.vudu.com/? Supposedly that will work with Linux where Netflix will not.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 09:35:27 PM »
Anyone know anything about http://www.vudu.com/? Supposedly that will work with Linux where Netflix will not.

Vudu is owned by Walmart.  I know one of the owners of my company has it and likes it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
Unfortunately Vudu isn't available on an XBox account.  You need a PS3 if you want it piped through your gaming console.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »
Now, I log on here and find out about the account splitting into 2 accounts.  Is Hastings bat-*expletive deleted*ing nuts?  I figure I'll give it a month until my next billing day to evaluate whether I want to keep Netflix at all.  They've lost their minds.

That's the part I really don't get.  Netflix was your movie company.  If you searched for a movie you could either stream it or wait for the DVD.  If I lose that integration I'm not as likely to remain loyal to them, because if I want the hassle of dealing with two different companies I can go anywhere else to achieve and get that experience.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »
Just get your movies from pawn shops....cheap to buy and they'll buy them back from you later....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:55:38 PM »
The CEO will not admit to screwing up but does say he just didn't explain it properly.

And just why are we discussing Obama in a Netflix thread?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 09:11:42 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/19/technology/netflix_cash/index.htm?iid=Popular
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/22/technology/apple_hulu/index.htm?iid=EAL

To add another question to Netflix's decision to off load DVD rentals, it seems content providers are wising up that they have a valuable commodity in their content when it comes to streaming video.   Seems a number of players are positioning themselves to make a run at being dominant in the market.  These players all have one thing in common. . . . . they all have a lot more cash on hand than does Netflix.

So lemme see if I got it right.  Netflix jettisons a cash generator to prepare itself for battle with a number of opponents who will compete with cash in acquiring a dominant position in a developing business model.  Looks to me like Netflix jumped too soon and placed itself in a weak position for future battles.

Netflix's gambit will prove to be either a brilliant play or an example of museum grade stupidity.  I'll bet on the latter.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon