Author Topic: Any experts on Microsoft Word out there  (Read 714 times)

Waitone

• friend
Any experts on Microsoft Word out there
« on: June 10, 2006, 01:25:59 PM »
I'm trying to set up a mail merge using Word.  I want to merge a doc containing text and a jpeg to email.  All the switches and levers are in the correct positions.  The only problem I have is the jpeg is stripped out by the time the doc makes it to email.

How do I need to hold my mouth to make it work right?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 04:06:12 PM »
You are using the Mail Merge Wizard I suspect?.

Also one can open Word in Excel and use the tools /wizards in Excel.

One can even use Access tools, and then apply / insert these into Word and Excel.

I have not done a Mail Merge in a bit, seem the last time I used  a jpg.  from something in Access, inserted a banner, from Excel, newsletter from Word.

Fundraiser with images, dollar amounts of contributions determined various "free gifts" and hperlinked to regional offices.

"Help" or "Clippit" should have information.

Not sure this site still current with help information...off the top of my head I believe it is www.scsite.com

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 05:58:46 AM »
Are you sure the problem is in Word and not in your e-mail program (Outlook?). We use MSOffice at work and the security settings are so high on our email it strips jpgs and urls out of our emails as part of the security.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 05:40:10 PM »
Thanks, I'll take a look at security settings.  I've seen the same stripping using Outlook and Outlook Express.  I've looked at creating a stationery.  Works like a champ on a single fax in word or O or OE.  I've looked at creating a theme.  No way to create a new theme.

I can not believe for a minute that it can't be done.  I get too much junk email everyday with intense graphics and merged data.

Thanks for the help.  I'll keep poking around.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 07:30:45 PM »
Your reply just made me think of something else. Those junk emails you mentioned are usually HTML. That is another setting you can change in email. You can go from plain text to rich text to HTML. The closer to plain text the settings, the more it strips out of your email. Check to see what your outbound mail default format is. If it's not rich text or HTML that could cause it too.