Author Topic: Windows 7 or 8  (Read 22570 times)

Waitone

• friend
Windows 7 or 8
« on: August 19, 2013, 05:49:46 PM »
What says the APS geek trust.

XP support is getting a little ragged in preparation for the 2014 cutoff.  I can upgrade to either Windows 7 or 8.  W7 has a rep of being pretty close to XP.  W8 has the rep of being unlike any other windows product due to its user interface.  Evidently MS has figgered out it has a turkey in the oven and is promising W8.1 will be just like the legacy interface.

I have to upgrade.  What says the APS geek trust.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Windows 7 or 8
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Win 8, that way you are on the curve instead of behind it with Win 7.

Win 8 isn't that hard to use, just start typing what you want to do and it will start giving you program icons.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »
I'm still on Xp for my primary desktop computer and my notebook. My wife's notebook is in Win 7, as an upgrade from the Vista that was pre-installed when we bought it. Win 7 is NOT at all like Xp, IMHO. Win 7 is the bug fix release for Vista.

That said, I am just about to order myself a new notebook, because it looks like this is my last chance to buy one with Win 7 rather than Win 8 installed. I haven't yet heard anything good about Win 8 (unless Charby's post above is supposed to be an endorsement).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »
Of the two, I like 7 better.

BUT Windows 8 is better than a lot was made out on it initially. And I think they've either made or are planning to make some tweaks to make it suck a little less. Main flaw was the whole "ohhh touch screen clicky, you like yes?!" BS.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »

XP support is getting a little ragged in preparation for the 2014 cutoff.  I can upgrade to either Windows 7 or 8.  W7 has a rep of being pretty close to XP.  W8 has the rep of being unlike any other windows product due to its user interface.  Evidently MS has figgered out it has a turkey in the oven and is promising W8.1 will be just like the legacy interface.

I have to upgrade.  What says the APS geek trust.

Using Win 7 is like using a weird version of XP. Everything usually works, stuff is just all over the place and looks different. You get used to it, and it does have a couple of nice features. Sure, XP would be perfectly fine, but hey, Microsoft needs revenue.

Using Win 8 is like hitting yourself in the face with a frying pan. Constantly. Yes, you get used to the pain, mostly. But you're still being hit in the face with a frying pan. It's sorta like Vista. Except Vista looked better and made more sense. It's a good way to get behind the curve, though. A lot of people actually like being hit in the face with a frying pan, so it may actually be your cup of tea. Never know, give it a shot. Screaming rage or sobbing is a sign of an innovative product. On the other hand, there's virtually no productivity gains in the new OS but plenty of productivity losses.

(Some folks will note I'm being unusually positive about Windows 8. I'm not sure why either. I should be writing about it's negative points, but unfortunately my brain segfaults to save itself whenever I bring up that METRO IS THE $*%(# DEFAULT AND ONLY INTERFACE FOR SERVER 2012.)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
Win7 is good. Stable, compatible, and does a fine job at playing nice with multi-processor CPU architectures.  Win8 is like setting your head on fire, only a lot less fun.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 07:09:59 PM »
Win 7 until Win 9 comes out. MS always alternates between good and crappy OS releases.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
Since nobody has yet, I'll have to say neither. I switched to Linux about 5 years ago and have no regrets.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »

XP support is getting a little ragged in preparation for the 2014 cutoff.  I can upgrade to either Windows 7 or 8.  W7 has a rep of being pretty close to XP.  W8 has the rep of being unlike any other windows product due to its user interface.  Evidently MS has figgered out it has a turkey in the oven and is promising W8.1 will be just like the legacy interface.

I have to upgrade.  What says the APS geek trust.

Windows 8 is of de debbil.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »
Windows 8 is the spawn of Satan.  Windows 7 is pretty decent, and a hell of a lot better than Vista ever could be.
This laptop I am on started out with Vista, which was pretty sucky.  Upgraded to Win7 last year and happy I did.  Works quite well, stable, fast, no lockups.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
RevDisk commented,

Using Win 7 is like using a weird version of XP. Everything usually works, stuff is just all over the place and looks different. You get used to it, and it does have a couple of nice features. Sure, XP would be perfectly fine, but hey, Microsoft needs revenue.

Same here.  Been batting my head against the wall with that "change for change's sake" marketing strategy, where just changing icons and structure constitutes "NEW!" and "IMPROVED!"  I'm dreading loss of support for XP, 'cause I was hoping to get back to my virus-trashed XP machine.

And that internal indexing search function sucks down to 10e-8 Torr.

Yeah, I got a copy of "Windows 7 For Dummies," as well as Pogue's "The Missing Manual," but I'm tired of spending an hour looking crap up just to do a one-minute job.

Well, that's an exaggeration for the sake of illustration.  More correctly, I should have said, "I'm tired of spending a half hour looking crap up just to do a thirty-second job."

Terry
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:38:32 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
Windows 8 is of de debbil.

I expect more competence from the devil.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »
I expect more competence from the devil.

:lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »
Win8.

Rev is right about the ui suckage. But just add classic shell to your os and you have win7 with longer lifetime support.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »

Win 7 jumps between applications while you are typing - WTH  ???  I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation, but I have work to do that doesn't include figuring that out.

Also, it seems like they have done away with a lot of functionality.  Maybe they just hid it somewhere.  Sure helps productivity to not have so many options I guess  ;/

I'm about ready to destroy every computer in sight right now and become a sheepherder  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 10:42:03 PM »
if I even look at a lap top with win 8 on it it turns off and gives all my passwords to my psycho ex girlfriend.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 10:46:30 PM »
Win 7 jumps between applications while you are typing - WTH  ???  I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation, but I have work to do that doesn't include figuring that out.

Are you using a laptop with integrated touchpad?  I've noticed touchpads becoming ridiculously sensitive in the last few years.  I had a Dell laptop at work that would register "touch" with my finger hovering over it while typing, causing it to jump around apps and all like you're describing.  My Lenovo isn't that bad for me, but is for my coworkers. 

My desktops without touchpads don't have this problem.  It's hardware, not Windows.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »
Win 7 jumps between applications while you are typing - WTH  ???

How'd you get it to do that? I've had W7 for a couple years now and it's never done that. Maybe I'm not using it properly?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 02:04:29 AM »
Are you using a laptop with integrated touchpad?  I've noticed touchpads becoming ridiculously sensitive in the last few years.  I had a Dell laptop at work that would register "touch" with my finger hovering over it while typing, causing it to jump around apps and all like you're describing.  My Lenovo isn't that bad for me, but is for my coworkers. 

My desktops without touchpads don't have this problem.  It's hardware, not Windows.

Chris

^^ This.

I can't stand laptops nowadays.  The "eraser" should have won the portable pointing device war, not the touchpad.

In light of that unrighteous defeat, I tend to disable the touchpad and plug in a proper USB mouse, so I don't experience this phenomenon.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 06:09:41 AM »
I can't stand laptops nowadays.  The "eraser" should have won the portable pointing device war, not the touchpad.

In light of that unrighteous defeat, I tend to disable the touchpad and plug in a proper USB mouse, so I don't experience this phenomenon.

Quoted for truth.

Touchpads drive me to distraction. Can't use 'em. Won't use 'em.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 06:52:54 AM »
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 08:46:01 AM »
My laptop and workstation at work both have Win7 x64 - it took a little getting used to from my XP machine at home, but it's a stable platform and works well.

My new PC at home has Windows 8 Pro x64 - just because it's not quite as awful as some claim, doesn't mean I like it.

I don't.  :mad:

I can manage to work with it, but I really don't like the overall setup at all.

As long as we're on the topic of PCs . . . does anyone know of a source for the updates to Office 2000? MS stopped supporting it entirely, and it would seem that service releases 1 and 1a are no longer available from the MS site; I reinstalled it on my older XP box (the old versions of Excel and Word do what I want them to) when I upgraded the HD and while SR3 is seemingly still available, I need the earlier service releases or else the updater won't install SR3.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 08:59:07 AM »
Win7 switches apps while you're typing

Never seen it, myself.  Sounds like a touchpad problem.

Win7 == reduced functionality

Not that I can see.  Stuff's in different places sometimes.  Control panel especially.

The reorganized user files (c:\users\username\...) makes more sense to me than the older way ("C:\documents and settings").  Don't forget that NT put that whole thing under the Windows (well, "c:\NT) directory.

The only real problems I've seen with 7 are subtle privilege related problems.  Some programs don't like UAC.  There's a problem with mapped drives in a domain environment that I've run into a couple times and haven't solved yet that I think is a privileges related problem.  And the "run as administrator" thing is an annoyance.  (I am administrator.  Says right there....).

8?  I've had more than once, a Windows 8 computer decide it wasn't going to boot anymore, and not let me into the recovery environment where I have a small chance of actually fixing the problem.

Server 2012 installs the vague blob interface, but boots to the desktop and pins the file manager to the taskbar.  I can live with that.  Install Classic Shell, and away I go.

Our customers are very happy that we can get new systems with Windows 7.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »
^^ This.

I always use a USB mouse and never the touchpad, but apparently that doesn't prevent the touchpad from randomly interfering.  Never have this problem on XP.

I have one W7 laptop and two XP laptops (three if you count the one with the farked video).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »
Your laptop is too new.  You should stick with the same strategy that works for your trucks, older is better.

Chris