Author Topic: What do I need to know about snowmobiles before purchasing?  (Read 6610 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
What do I need to know about snowmobiles before purchasing?
« on: December 11, 2008, 12:09:39 AM »
I've been thinking about a snowmobile as a form of alternate transportation this winter (last winter we got over 16' of snow and driving was often a risk). However, I don't know a thing about snowmobiles. I can tell you that Arctic Cat, Polaris, and Ski-Doo pretty much dominate the local market, but I have no brand loyalty at this point.

We have a pretty big trail system here in northern Maine (and throughout Maine for that matter) and bordering Canada. I'd like something that gets good gas mileage and will handle all riding conditions, from a few fresh feet of powder to dirty and slushy pack. Light weight and comfort would be sweet.

So where should my research start and what can you tell me about snowmobiles that you've discovered over the years?

Thanks.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: What do I need to know about snowmobiles before purchasing?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 07:27:33 AM »
and what can you tell me about snowmobiles that you've discovered over the years?

It's been a looong time, but I do know they start much easier when stored in a heated garage.
7-11 was a part time job.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 09:32:04 AM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:48:48 AM »
I'd buy a newer one with low miles, or if it has higher miles those a trail ridden miles. Ditch riding is hard on sleds.

Older ones can be mechanical a-holes. Powder snow, you are going to need a long track so you can stay on top the snow.

I used to want a sled but where I live most years I'd be lucky to get 4-6 weeks worth of decent snow to ride. Plus all I have is ditches and rivers to ride.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »
My friends in Colorado used to run mostly Arctic Cat (the old "Panthers") and a few antique Ski-Doos.  For many years that was there only means of transportation in the winter, before the county began plowing the road to their place.  We used xc skis and a dog team, and never owned a snow machine ourselves.

Slushy snow is hell on snow machines.  Sometimes they will clog up the tracks even while running, and you absolutely must clean out the tracks when you stop or else they will never move again until Spring or after a number of hours in a heated garage  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:39:33 PM »
You need to know that globular warming will make your snow machine useless.   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 01:48:15 PM »
My friends in Colorado used to run mostly Arctic Cat (the old "Panthers") and a few antique Ski-Doos.  For many years that was there only means of transportation in the winter, before the county began plowing the road to their place.  We used xc skis and a dog team, and never owned a snow machine ourselves.

Slushy snow is hell on snow machines.  Sometimes they will clog up the tracks even while running, and you absolutely must clean out the tracks when you stop or else they will never move again until Spring or after a number of hours in a heated garage  =(

Or until you bring out a propane Red Dragon and point it at the thing. Which is also a pain.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 01:54:31 PM »
Or until you bring out a propane Red Dragon and point it at the thing. Which is also a pain.

Smells like burning floppies, too  :O

So ... you carry one of those big propane heaters on a trailer behind your machine everywhere you go ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
Never buy a Rupp Nitro with 2-rotor Wankel rotary engine.

That is all.   =D

(Dunno how I managed not to kill myself on that thing...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 02:08:36 PM »
Smells like burning floppies, too  :O

So ... you carry one of those big propane heaters on a trailer behind your machine everywhere you go ???

Well, no. I just meant if someone parked it outside stupidly, not cleaned, and the tracks froze up.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 04:38:24 PM »
The slush really wasn't much of a problem where we used to live in Colorado.  Most of the time it was between 30 and 60 below zero.

It was usually only a problem in the springtime (May) in the afternoon, and one crazy time in March when it rained on top of three feet of snow.

stevelyn probably knows a lot about snow machines - I can't remember if he's on APS or just THR ???  He's probably out chasing a drunken indian on a snow machine right now ;)

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 08:58:34 PM »
Lots of folks in Minnesota have gone to four wheelers. We have had years of bad snow. People got tired of their expensive machines sitting in the garage for 300+ days a year. People still buy and use snowmobiles, but sales are way down. We have a great trail system for sleds in the winter, and for mountain bikes in the summer. Lots of those trails are paved, and it's great on rollerblades as well.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 10:29:59 PM »
Call a couple of county sheriffs and find out what machines they use.  That is if they buy them.  Also check around with businesses that rent snowmobiles as a business.

The business owners and LE that buy machines are going to be fixated on reliability for the obvious reasons.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »
Have good life insurance.  =D I can name a few people who survived sprint cars but didn't survive racing snowmobiles on the same tracks in the winter.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 03:05:41 PM »
Watch the Winter X-Games on tv to learn how to ride them.  The slogan of a real snowmachiner is "hold my beer and watch this".  On a serious note, try renting a few to see which one speaks to you.  When I lived in the UP of MI I never bought one.  Over a 22 winter period, I worked outside in the winter.  Sure did not want to go play in the snow after work.....chris3

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 04:57:08 PM »
You need to know NOT to do this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABCxU_UNZI0
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »
You need to know NOT to do this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABCxU_UNZI0

The dude on the intro sounds just like me. It was weird to open it up and hear a voice similar to mine.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 09:41:53 PM »
The slush really wasn't much of a problem where we used to live in Colorado.  Most of the time it was between 30 and 60 below zero.

It was usually only a problem in the springtime (May) in the afternoon, and one crazy time in March when it rained on top of three feet of snow.

stevelyn probably knows a lot about snow machines - I can't remember if he's on APS or just THR ???  He's probably out chasing a drunken indian on a snow machine right now ;)

=D =D

Tallpine........I'm in tears and my sides hurt right now.

I chased a few when I lived up on the Yukon, not so much out here in Aleutian Hell since the snow don't last long and there are only about three I'm aware of now. Our DUI vehicle of choice in AH is the 4-wheeler.

Snowmachines are a primary mode of winter travel further up the AKPEN and in the villages where it's colder.

Snowmachine preference for me is dependent on what I'm using it for. For trapping and work on tight trails and deep snow, nothing beats a one-lung Yamaha Bravo and it's powerful enough to tow a sled.

For traveling and general tooling around though I like Polaris. They seem easier to control and more comfortable. They are easy to start when the temperatures are colder than -20 F, and they run well at those low temps. I think Polaris tunes the fuel/air to compensate for the higher density of the colder temps because they seem to run a little rich when it gets above 20F. I'd go out and start mine and my GF's machine at -40F and it'd crank right over on the second pull and sit there and idle smoothly. Had to throw a tarp over it so the track could warm up though.

There isn't anything wrong with the other brands, but like anything else they have their quirks.

Arctic Cats don't like to run very well below -20F although EFI changes this because you don't have to deal with carburator jets. The brain box does the fuel/air.
On some of the faster ACs, I've felt like the machine wanted to fly away with me once I got up past 60 mph. Yamahas are fast, but they are heavy and get stuck easily on unbroken trails.
Most of the machines out in the Yukon/Koyukuk villages are Polaris followed by Yamaha and rounded out by Ski-Doos. I've seen very few ACs out there.

I have very little experience with Ski-Doo, but friends who have them swear by them. I've never heard of them being problematic.

If you are going to get a used machine make sure you check the sliderails on the suspension. These are plastic rails underneath that the track slides over as it turns. The snow acts as a lubricant when you're moving. That's why the comment was made about slush. Wet slushy snow doesn't work as well and you wear the rails out faster. Also the reason I prefer air-cooled engines to liquid cooled. Besides liquid cooled machines are heavier. Heavy machines are a bitch to unstick.
Make sure the drive wheel and clutch are in good shape as well as the drive belt and always carry spare belts and sparkplugs.

If you are going to be in deep, powdery snow, breaking trail or even wet snow, get a machine with a 136" or longer track I like the 144"s. You can also increase your floatation by putting a set of ski skins on the skis. They increase the width and length of the skis making for a bigger footprint which spreads the weight of the machine out better. Not an issue when under power, but if you stop in soft snow you won't sink and you can get moving again a lot easier without the track digging a hole to bury you in.

As far as engine size, I rode up and down the Yukon River on a 440 Sport Touring and never though I needed more power or speed. Even in rough ice and breaking trail. Plus once you get up past 500cc, you enter into the liquid-cooled realm. I could make a 223 mile trip on a tank of fuel. The new 4-strokes are probably even better if 4-stroke outboards are any indication.

Be aware that those things can kill and cripple ya quick. There are more folks than I care to count that I knew personally that were killed and seriously injured on them and from them mainly due to stupidity. Some of them I had to bag myself.

Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 10:45:31 PM »
Oh, and trying this is probably a bad idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP0C-jA0hfQ

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 12:15:31 PM »
Heavy machines are a bitch to unstick.

Yeah - more than once I have stepped off into the semi-packed trail of a stuck machine, leaned down and heaved up on the back end, and promptly post-holed myself down into the snow up to my armpits  :O

It's quit a chore to try to unstick a machine that is mostly over your head  =(

My experience with snow machines was all back in the 1980s.  Back then the (air-cooled) Arctic Cat Panther was pretty simple and easy to fix, which was a good thing since they seemed to be always breaking down.  My friends used their machines pretty hard, though - since they were the only transportation for about five months of the year. 

About 30 years ago, there was a little bluegrass band in Anchorage that wrote and sang a song about snowmachines called "The Arctic Crap" - mostly from a XC skiers perspective  :laugh:

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 09:12:16 PM »
Yeah - more than once I have stepped off into the semi-packed trail of a stuck machine, leaned down and heaved up on the back end, and promptly post-holed myself down into the snow up to my armpits 

It's quit a chore to try to unstick a machine that is mostly over your head 

Yup. Been there myself. It took me more than two hours to move a 440 Sport short-track 20 ft back to my track in snow up to my chest after I lost my momentum in a tight turn in an unbroken area off the trail. I learned three words that day..........."come-along" and "snowshoes".

The Panther and Bearcat were two of ACs better machines. The Panther just for being reliable and relatively simple. The Bearcat is a 156" tracked beast that can go nearly anywhere there's room to manuever it under any and all snow conditions.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 09:16:52 PM »
Watch out for ridges with peaks that look like soft serve ice cream... =D
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Don't care

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
Anyone know what the X-time Alaska snow machine "First Dude" uses?

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 08:30:46 PM »
Anyone know what the X-time Alaska snow machine "First Dude" uses?

He and his race partner have been using modified Arctic Cats.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 11:34:25 PM »
TCW:
No heated garage at my apartment. There is heated storage available not far out of town that can probably fit a full-size sled though. Monthly fee to consider, on the other hand. Chances are strong that it would be stored outside under a cover.

MW:
Sweeeet. How much?

Charby:
With the trail system here, finding even a well used sled in good shape is probable. Sledding season runs from late November/early December into March here. Having a sled would have been real nice with the ice storm that just hit us. Roads were just awful. We get something I call "sedimentary ice" that even studs and chains can slide on in the right situation. Dangerous stuff.

Tallpine:
Hopefully I won't deal with too much slush. I'm looking to use a sled as a tool rather than a toy so I should be able to stick to well-groomed trails to get just about anywhere I'd need to go. Here's hoping.

Tactipants:
Last year we got over 16 feet of globular warming so if we get globularly warmer it should be useless for the next several years. Ha ha.

MF and Tallpine:
What's the propane ritual like?

G98:
*Writes down "Rupp Nitro/2-rotor Wankel engine" with large red "X" through it*

Bald Guy:
Four wheelers would be more difficult to use here. A significant portion of our trail system is aimed for snow sleds and are groomed for such. Not sure what routes I'd use for winter four-wheeling. I don't know anything about winterizing a four-wheeler either.

Grampster:
Local law enforcement patrols the trail systems regularly inside and outside of town. Well outside of town. I'll take a look next time I stop to let them cross the street and get a lead.

French G:
The snow sledding horror stories are well highlighted in local papers every year. Nearly all of them involve alcohol. I plan on using the sled as a tool so I won't be exceeding 40mph more than a few times a month.

Copper Tales:
Mine will be for work and not play. With my current vehicle there are days that I won't be able to make it to work. With a sled I can still make it and make some much needed money.

Scout:
Ha ha ha. That is easy advice to follow!

Stevelyn:
How do you winterize a four-wheeler?

Thanks for all of the information. I've mostly been concentrating my research on Polaris and Ski-Doo. What do you think would be good for northern Maine out of their recent '08-'09 lineups?

I doubt I would need anything more than a 440. My only real experience on a sled is with a Ski-Doo MXZ440 and a Yamaha, the model and year of which I'm not sure of, but it was closer to the 600 region. At 5'8"-5'9" and 160-170 lbs I really prefer the 440. I'm not looking to outrun anyone and I'm not looking to put it to work on a ranch/farm either.

I've never been stuck on a sled either. Is the cure as blatantly annoying and straight-forward as it sounds?

Grisly:
How come? I don't have to worry about peaks so much as ridges, but they sound so fun. Will they be masking rocks and drop-offs?

Thanks for all the replies folks.