Author Topic: The New Hippocratic Oath  (Read 905 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: The New Hippocratic Oath
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 07:14:38 PM »
Calling your doctor a Witch Doctor takes on a whole new meaning since he/she/it/I'm not a biologist/etc.. may very be one now
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 08:06:07 PM »
I guess Christian groups who want to pray for healing will continue to be ridiculed and marginalized. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 11:53:54 AM »
"honor all Indigenous ways of healing that have been historically marginalized by Western medicine"

Having an open mind is essential for science but somehow it seems that trying to put at least some of those "ways of healing" into practice would cost you your license  "Oh, you just wanted me to virtue signal, not ACTUALLY do what I swore" :lol:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 10:09:31 AM »
Sounds like the Hippocratic Oath is becoming the Hypowokocratic Oath.  ;/

Woody  :old:
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 01:50:24 PM »
So it's just the new ones, right?

I used to say political correctness will ruin this country.

I was right.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 05:05:25 PM »
So if I go to a Minnesota barber for 2 dozen leeches and he says "No, you need a full letting" we're good?
7-11 was a part time job.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 05:12:55 PM »
Let me guess, they all graduated first in their class
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 11:18:20 PM »
So it's just the new ones, right?

I used to say political correctness will ruin this country.

I was right.

Yup.  :facepalm:  =(
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 06:59:44 AM »
"honor all Indigenous ways of healing that have been historically marginalized by Western medicine"

Having an open mind is essential for science but somehow it seems that trying to put at least some of those "ways of healing" into practice would cost you your license  "Oh, you just wanted me to virtue signal, not ACTUALLY do what I swore" :lol:
Try to treat me with an indigenous way of healing that has been historically marginalized by Western medicine, and you can expect to be paid in pemmican, wampum, or glass beads  instead of Western funds.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »

https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2017/10/22/mercury-was-considered-a-cure-until-it-killed-you.html

Mercury was considered a cure — until it killed you The metal was thought to be a miracle balm, purging the body of bile. A new book, Quackery, chronicles this and other bizarre medical misfires....

For hundreds of years, mercury-containing products claimed to heal a varied and strangely unrelated host of ailments. Melancholy, constipation, syphilis, influenza, parasites — you name it, and someone swore that mercury could fix it.

And it's fairly well established that Beethoven died at 57 yo from medicinal treatment with lead compounds.

Of course, "who knew?"

Indeed.  And "who knows" today what fads are in common medical practice?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 07:19:25 PM »
https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2017/10/22/mercury-was-considered-a-cure-until-it-killed-you.html

And it's fairly well established that Beethoven died at 57 yo from medicinal treatment with lead compounds.

Of course, "who knew?"

Indeed.  And "who knows" today what fads are in common medical practice?
Don't worry, the food and pharmaceutical industry will fund research to let you know.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2022, 08:33:07 PM »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 08:19:26 AM »
^  Hilarious. But too true.

Don't worry, the food and pharmaceutical industry will fund research to let you know.   =)

Very pointed.  I once smart-assed about how doctors were as prone to fad behavior as anyone else and I got a response that they were scientists so how could that be?

I pointed out that a long time ago, they used to wear their stethoscopes with the earpieces behind their necks and the chest pieces in one of their pockets, which seemed quite practical and handy.  The way they do it now is draped over their necks with the earpieces hanging down on one side and the chestpieces hanging down on the other, which seemed quite faddish and awkward to me.  I then remarked that a  medico who carried it the old way would be laughed out of the hospital.

Now maybe there are some thinly rational reasons for the new "fad," but to me it's still a fad.

And note the time-honored choice of seeking a second.... wait for it.... "opinion."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2022, 09:45:38 AM »
^^^Whenever we have a clinician do a photo op for publicity or the like, the corporate communications people always dig up a stethoscope for the photo.  Depending on your specialty, you may use a stethoscope several times a day or never, but it seems to be one of the badges of the profession.

Edited to add: and here is an example.  A general surgeon would rarely use a stethoscope

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.