Author Topic: Happy anniversary, Apollo 11 moon landing!  (Read 690 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Happy anniversary, Apollo 11 moon landing!
« on: July 20, 2022, 04:58:04 PM »
Neil Armstrong stepped on the lunar surface just before 8 pm Seattle time on this date in 1969.  I remember watching it in real-time, along with 600 million other people.  One of the pinnacle achievements of mankind, as far as I am concerned.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Happy anniversary, Apollo 11 moon landing!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 05:17:50 PM »
I was absolutely ate up with the Apollo missions and any thing NASA and space in those days.
I remember watching it well. I'm also one of those that will disown people that spout the moon landing conspiracy bullshit, they become dead to me.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 05:22:09 PM »
I was in Florida on a family vacation at the time, and I saw the liftoff (from quite a distance) of the Saturn V. One of the most uplifting, "Proud to be an American" moments of my life.

Today's NASA has no manned space flight capability.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 05:25:50 PM »
Today's NASA has no manned space flight capability.  :mad:

If we could put a man on the moon why the hell can't we put a man on the moon!  :mad:  :'(
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 05:31:35 PM »
If we could put a man on the moon why the hell can't we put a man on the moon!  :mad:  :'(

We can no longer put a man on the moon because we can't define what a man is.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 05:39:48 PM »
I wasn't alive, and wouldn't be for some time, but I agree - it's a pinnacle achievements of mankind.

We certainly could if we wanted to.  We still have all the reseach notes.  Computing power, materials science, chemistry and biology has advanced by leaps and bounds. But it'd still be pretty expensive - just like it was back then [cite], and for what?  The reason we did it back then had much to do with the existential struggle for existence against the soviets by developing reliable weapons delivery systems to get nukes on soviet soil.  Which we did, and got to ground the bombers.  That ICBM tech and it's subsequent generations is still our deterrent.  Mission accomplished.

I'm not convinced that maintaining that capability is a good use of public funds.  Change my mind.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 06:43:38 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 10:03:17 PM »
I wasn't alive, and wouldn't be for some time, but I agree - it's a pinnacle achievements of mankind.

We certainly could if we wanted to.  We still have all the reseach notes.  Computing power, materials science, chemistry and biology has advanced by leaps and bounds. But it'd still be pretty expensive - just like it was back then [cite], and for what?  The reason we did it back then had much to do with the existential struggle for existence against the soviets by developing reliable weapons delivery systems to get nukes on soviet soil.  Which we did, and got to ground the bombers.  That ICBM tech and it's subsequent generations is still our deterrent.  Mission accomplished.

I'm not convinced that maintaining that capability is a good use of public funds.  Change my mind.
I would be nice to do, but having that capability developed by private industry is probably better in the long run. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 08:05:10 AM »

The final few planned Apollo moon landings were cancelled to help fund welfare. Money that COULD be spent on spaceflight is instead being spent on welfare - free giveaways - with spending levels above 1 TRILLION dollars a year since 2012. Spend more on welfare - you get more welfare recipients. Spend money on spaceflight, you expand the limits of human knowledge and develop all manner of useful technologies. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 12:34:47 PM »
The final few planned Apollo moon landings were cancelled to help fund welfare. Money that COULD be spent on spaceflight is instead being spent on welfare - free giveaways - with spending levels above 1 TRILLION dollars a year since 2012. Spend more on welfare - you get more welfare recipients. Spend money on spaceflight, you expand the limits of human knowledge and develop all manner of useful technologies.

False dichotomy: Public money should not be collected or used for either purpose.  I'm aware the political reality is somewhat different.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 07:45:55 PM »
We were traveling the US on vacation, as we did every year, and that night, we and our campsite neighbors, huddled around a portable B&W TV on the campground picnic table, underneath the moon above, and watched in awe as man set foot on the moon above above our heads. That is a time I will NEVER forget nor fail to appreciate!!!  :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 07:55:01 PM »

I have so many memes for this..  Alas,  back to pol.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 09:50:08 PM »

The patents from the technology NASA developed returned $12 in patent leases for every $1 spent on the moon program.  Congress chose to give that money to themselves to spend on.... more welfare.  The moon shot is the only government program in history to turn an actual profit.