Author Topic: What Criminals Look For in a Victim  (Read 802 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What Criminals Look For in a Victim
« on: July 22, 2022, 10:09:18 AM »
USCCA took a poll of prisoners regarding who they target and what might stop them. Obviously unscientific, and as several of the comments said, criminals are liars, but I think there was some valuable information here. A few tidbits:

Muggers are more afraid of the cops showing up than an armed victim.
A majority of muggers will attempt to disarm an armed victim.*
Most muggers will cut and run if the victim looks like they know how to use the gun they pulled and/or looks ready to fight.

https://youtu.be/XqBKIvFR5pk

*This might fall under "liar", or possibly jailhouse bravado.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
Re: What Criminals Look For in a Victim
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 10:17:58 AM »
USCCA took a poll of prisoners regarding who they target and what might stop them. Obviously unscientific, and as several of the comments said, criminals are liars, but I think there was some valuable information here. A few tidbits:

Muggers are more afraid of the cops showing up than an armed victim.
A majority of muggers will attempt to disarm an armed victim.*
Most muggers will cut and run if the victim looks like they know how to use the gun they pulled and/or looks ready to fight.

https://youtu.be/XqBKIvFR5pk

*This might fall under "liar", or possibly jailhouse bravado.

Most criminals appear to be well versed in the Sphinctorial Arts.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 10:13:11 AM »
With an armed victim, most criminals know that the law is on their side.

This is not a joke.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 11:16:08 AM »
This is in direct conflict with what I’ve heard before that criminals don’t really fear the cops.  That armed victims are what they feared most.  And we’ve heard how many stories over the years about crooks that tuck tail and run at the first sign of effective resistance from their victims?
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 11:42:47 AM »
And we’ve heard how many stories over the years about crooks that tuck tail and run at the first sign of effective resistance from their victims?

The video goes into this, with the important term being, "effective resistance". Someone who looks like they know what they're doing, and is going to be more trouble than they're worth, versus running into say, the wife from the St Louis couple holding her gun out like an accessory. No offense to her for wanting to protect herself, but she looked like someone who might fumble if rushed at close range. The crooks said that if they ran into a tough (or tough looking without being aggressive) hombre, they would quit.

It also goes into attitude. Another thing they said is avoiding someone who "looks military", which could mean a lot of things. Between my size, how I dress, etc., I look a bit military/copish. My modis operandi is first, avoiding problem areas, but if somehow I failed at that, I go into "leave me alone" mode and take a bearing that is neither scared victim nor "just try it ahole". I don't look away and I don't stare down. More of, "I see you. Do you see me?" if that makes sense. Also keeping or making distance if I'm walking as long as it doesn't look like I'm "retreating".

Though I have yet to run into this in Idaho, where I'm always armed. I certainly ran into it in CA far too much. Most often because work meetings were sometimes in a bad-ish part of a city, like LA/LB harbor area. Of course then I always looked "military" in the gov blue polo/tac pants/tac boots attire and was often accompanied by military (or at least Coast Guard  =D ) in uniform if we were going out to lunch or dinner, so we were probably a "not worth the trouble" group.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 09:41:04 PM »
My civilian attire has become more casual since SWMBO began to have a say in how she'd prefer I look accompanying her in public.  Less military and more JC Penney.  However, one of the oldest and best lessons in passively conveying an attitude toward potential predators is simply to be aware of your surroundings, make eye contact with those who take an interest in your existence, and keep your darn head out of your smartphone.  Carrying yourself with your head held high and eyes open has been an easy deterrence for centuries.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 06:34:04 AM »
Ben:

"and was often accompanied by military (or at least Coast Guard  =D )"

Snotnose.

But thanks for reviewing that video material.  I found it hard to follow with all the buts and was going to research the original material on that account.

I had to walk a couple of blocks and through a "remote" bus station (about an hour past rush hour) when I worked at a no guns outfit in Denver, leaving my roscoe (!) in the car. 

Although I wasn't as crippled up as I am nowadays, I still had to use a cane.  Twice I had to pass "through" a pair of yutes blocking the sidewalk ("Got a cigarette?" style) and had to carry my cane aggressively in both hands .  Both times I walked right between them.  Once time they kind of followed  me throught the deserted bus station, but nothing further developed after I stopped and looked back at them with an "Oh, yeah?"  attitude,

The answer to your next question is "Yes, I was scared."

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 07:09:05 AM »
My civilian attire has become more casual since SWMBO began to have a say in how she'd prefer I look accompanying her in public.  Less military and more JC Penney. 

Well, counter to my own argument: From the photos, Eli Dicken looks pretty "JC Penney", but it appears attackers would be in for a shock.  =)