Author Topic: McConnell/Reid "back room plan"  (Read 1797 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
McConnell/Reid "back room plan"
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/20/news/economy/debt_ceiling_deal/index.htm?cnn=yes&hpt=hp_t1

Sens. Mitch McConnell and Harry Reid have crafted an emergency measure in case negotiations fail. The plan sets up a mechanism only Congress would dream up.

The measure would allow for three short-term increases of the debt ceiling while at the same time letting lawmakers register their disapproval. The first increase would boost the debt limit by $700 billion and the next two by $900 billion each.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-18/politics/debt.limit.fallback.plan_1_debt-ceiling-debt-limit-spending-cuts?_s=PM:POLITICS&iid=EL

As described by McConnell at a news conference last week, his legislation would authorize the president to request of Congress debt ceiling increases in three increments between now and the end of next year. The first would boost the debt limit by $700 billion and the next two by $900 billion each.

Along with each request, the president would be required to submit a list of recommended spending cuts -- in an amount higher than the ceiling increase request -- but those cuts would not need to be enacted for the debt limit to go up.

So, "emergency" increases in the debt ceiling with Obama giving nothing up, in exchange for 2.5 trillion dollars.

McConnell is a rat.

And an unconstitutional one, at that... the Senate isn't authorized to originate any spending bills.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: McConnell/Reid "back room plan"
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
I have an idea.  Let us not pay Congress, the President or the Vice President for a the total of one each of their terms, to include all pay and allowances.  How much would that save us?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »
I have an idea.  Let us not pay Congress, the President or the Vice President for a the total of one each of their terms, to include all pay and allowances.  How much would that save us?

Equivalent to taking a nickel out of my annual paycheck, when scaled against the annual deficit, let alone the debt.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
I have an idea.  Let us not pay Congress, the President or the Vice President for a the total of one each of their terms, to include all pay and allowances.  How much would that save us?

*pulls out the calculator* Just the base pay for Representatives, Senators and the President?   Around $110 Million, not counting special pay increases for being a particular "leader" or other special position in the Senate or House.

Edit: Also not counting per diem for food, travel allowances, staff, et cetera ad nauseam.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:47:08 PM by kgbsquirrel »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
*pulls out the calculator* Just the base pay for Representatives, Senators and the President?   Around $110 Million, not counting special pay increases for being a particular "leader" or other special position in the Senate or House.
Yeah, but it would be nice if they lost all pay and special privileges if there was a budget deficit in the prior year.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »
You mean to create an incentive system like in the private sector, where if  you make budget you get a bonus and the better you manage your budget, then the higher the bonus.... Nahhhhhh ;/

I remember when I worked for Pepsico.  They were straight up about it.  We pay you 85% of your expected salary.  If you meet you budget you'll get the other 15%, however the better you do the more money in your pocket, up to 150% of you expected salary.   Oh and if you can't make budget you better have a damn good reason, fail to make budget twice without said damn good reason, there's the door, don't let it catch you in the backside on the way out... 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:16:26 AM »
A thought: just how many congresscritters would a salary-hold really effect? I'm sure it's not always the case, but it seems like a good portion of our ruling elite have, how to say, rather deep pockets.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:42:30 AM »
A thought: just how many congresscritters would a salary-hold really effect? I'm sure it's not always the case, but it seems like a good portion of our ruling elite have, how to say, rather deep pockets.

Congress?  A large portion, especially the freshmen who haven't had a chance to grease the wheels and make a buck.  Remember the ones who were sleeping in thier offices to save money? 
Senate? Not as many.  Seems to be harder to be an average scmho and become a senator.  Usually requires means and deep pockets.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:19:48 AM »
Congress?  A large portion, especially the freshmen who haven't had a chance to grease the wheels and make a buck.  Remember the ones who were sleeping in thier offices to save money? 
Senate? Not as many.  Seems to be harder to be an average scmho and become a senator.  Usually requires means and deep pockets.

Perhaps simply say that their net worth is frozen when they go into office.  Any increase in net worth above their pay + inflation + current FED interest rate is forfeit.  No more Congressmen getting rich while in office. 

Of course, I'm not sure how you handle spouses who work and make a ton of money (likely as lobbyists).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »
Perhaps simply say that their net worth is frozen when they go into office.  Any increase in net worth above their pay + inflation + current FED interest rate is forfeit.  No more Congressmen getting rich while in office. 

Of course, I'm not sure how you handle spouses who work and make a ton of money (likely as lobbyists).

No. What we need is to apply Insider Trading laws on Congress/government employees.

Then I won't care if they increase their net worth while employed by the Federal Government. (Unless it's through bribery.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought