Author Topic: Gang of Six deficit reduction plan  (Read 4426 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Gang of Six deficit reduction plan
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 12:02:27 PM »
If the Tea Party folks "stay home" they'd better be planning for survival, of themselves and of this Republic.  What we are seeing unfolding in D.C. is a drama that makes clear we are the AUDIENCE, not any longer a self-governing people.  There can be no serious reforms of this government coming from inside this government.  It's obvious, just for starters, we need term limits, but is this Congress going to vote term limits on itself?

I've got a feeling that, if the GOP caves like this and nominates a Demo-lite like Romney or Christie for the POTUS run, the Tea Party will start focusing more on state elections and getting people elected who aren't afraid to tell the FedGov to *expletive deleted* itself....

....and that's when the fun will begin....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 12:26:57 PM »
That's an interesting side point. I'm ambivalent on term limits in general, but how is it the executive is term-limited and the legislative and judicial branches not? Recognizinging the specific post-FDR politics, it's not philosophically consistent.

True, but who was writing the laws?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »
Every time a increase taxes and cut spending bill gets passed, we get the tax increase. The promised cuts disappear.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »
Every time a increase taxes and cut spending bill gets passed, we get the tax increase. The promised cuts disappear.
If you notice, most of those "deals" involve tax increases and future cuts  rather than cuts now.  Most of the actual cuts I have heard thrown around recently were sickeningly small.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 05:21:03 PM »
I went hunting around, looking for the names of this "gang of six."

I am 100% shocked and awed that John McCain isn't one of them.  You can usually count on him to be behind anything that throws the Republic under the bus in order to cater to Statists.

I guess old age is finally catching up with him, or he overslept his "Overthrow America" meeting at 8AM that day. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
That Coburn is one of the Gang of Six is surprising.  I thought he was more of a libertarian/TEA party type.  I know he's strong on 2A issues.

And if Chambliss, Coburn, and Crapo think that Dickie Durbin isn't dealing off the bottom of the deck are kidding themselves.

Durbin and Kirk (barely even a good RINO, more like a D in R clothing) have already gotten calls and e-mails from me saying pass Cut, Cap and Balance along with the Balanced Budget amendment.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:26 PM »
I think republicans caving will infuriate TEA party types.  I think it will drive them into a frenzy at the congressional level.  They saw last election the effect they had in the primaries.  Obama may well be re-elected but he won't have a congress he can control.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 01:47:53 AM »
Word is that Coburn is close, personally, with Obama.  That, if true, might explain the inexplicable.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 11:06:05 AM »
Word is that Coburn is close, personally, with Obama.  That, if true, might explain the inexplicable.

Where did you hear that?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Sorry, I don't remember, one of the radio commentators.  I think the story went that Obama courted Coburn personally, sought his wise counsel, etc., when he was still a Senator.  Can't vouch for its truthfulness.  Someone should ask Coburn about it.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
An important aspect of this that some are forgetting (or glossing over on purpose)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-gang-of-sixs-3-trillion-tax-hike/2011/07/21/gIQAh66rRI_story.html

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 10:05:39 PM »
I think republicans caving will infuriate TEA party types.  I think it will drive them into a frenzy at the congressional level.  They saw last election the effect they had in the primaries.  Obama may well be re-elected but he won't have a congress he can control.

This.  An increasingly ungovernable nation.  My own view is that the Left inseminated America with America Two fifty years ago and it's finally been born.  Those who cling to the idea of one nation indivisible are going to be in for a very rude shock.  What's coming is not a secession movement but, rather, an emancipation movement from a people that wants a divorce. Far-fetched?  We'll see.  Right now most of us are just unwilling passengers on a runaway train.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.